Author Topic: Battletech Books  (Read 33122 times)

Offline Ghiest

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
Re: Battletech Books
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »
Yay, my first book finally arrived! "Bred for War" from 1995, the pages have gotten a little yellow but otherwise the book is in perfect condition. I love books with a history :).

I read the first two pages of the book and was quite shocked that the medical progress mankind achieves during the next 1000 years will be negligible, at least in the Battletech universe. Why is that? Why isn't BT set in the year 2150? Would feel a lot more realistic.
But yes, i already knew they aren't leaping forward in technology for whatever reason and i am looking forward to the rest of the book(s) :).

It's quite a long story, but the crux of it is between reaching for the stars and the current time line humanity spent the majority of it's time nuking each other into oblvion after the major 'police' force left the galaxy for pastures new taking with it the majority of scientists and support for them.  So basically all the 'know how' of the technology based in the early books is lost hence the term lostech (or Lost technology).

In reality the technology had progressed quite far, a little later you will see the clans (the people derived from the 'police force' who left the galaxy) have things like cloning, combining DNA and growing humans from it (infact it's the basis of their warrior life), they have the ability to regrow arms and legs for people and integrate circuitry into the brain (in extreme cases though).

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
I thought about some nuclear war but couldn't imagine it to cripple us for nearly a millennium. But if there is some progress in the BT-universe, i will stop worrying. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
I thought about some nuclear war but couldn't imagine it to cripple us for nearly a millennium. But if there is some progress in the BT-universe, i will stop worrying. Thanks for the clarification.

Also have to keep in mind the majority of the universes concepts were all fleshed out in the mid-eighties, and people get very pissy when you say this is how stuff has been for a decade, and you cannot just change cannon because a few new techs come out in real life that make battletech's technioligcal timeline seem piss poor.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
Mid eighties, huh? And i have to suffer now because of that? Should be called Bottletech from now on!

I'll just continue reading and accept the medieval technology we'll have in a thousand years. Could spare me a lot of work in the future!