Author Topic: gambling  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Heimdal

• @_@
  • Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
gambling
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:56:48 AM »
Kami told me to type this up

I think mach10 or grok mentioned the idea of gambling and I had the idea of having an option(on/off/vote) in the campaign mode to have an arena match against a random person from each team with mechs and everyone else just kind of spectating and placing bets. The winner of the match could get the median or average amount of the bets placed.

It could be a fun warm up in between rounds.

Offline Pat Dry

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
Re: gambling
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:13:10 PM »
Hheehehe, I just love the idea!  8)

Offline HackerX4

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
    • HackerX4's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:12:24 PM »
That would be a great idea, gamble and bet your C-bills against the mechs in the arena, that would be awesome... :D

Offline AoP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +53/-2
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:37:17 PM »
Am I the only one who actually wants to *play* when joining a game server, not watch others play?

Offline eFFe

• MechWarrior
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:11:33 PM »
I think it should be like rocket Arena for the Quake series.

That would mean that you have several arenas, with different styles, on one map. There are 1on1 and team arenas. The player can jump from one arena to another at any time. If an arena is already occupied, he can choose to:
- wait in line to fight, while spectating
- just spectate, without fighting
- change to another arena

In our case we could add:
- spectate and place a bet

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:24:43 PM »
Thats similiar to the "Solaris Arena" idea thats already been discussed at length.

+Level Designer!

Offline Criminal

• Founder Wandering Samurai
  • Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-3
    • MechWarrior: Living Legends
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:02:57 PM »
Yeah the Solaris arena has been discussed on length but nothing has really been finally decided regarding it.

Personally yeah i'd like to play but there is people that would enjoy spectating rounds between certain people...maybe even a challenge system would be interesting say if you were in a match and someone was partiuclarily pissing you off you could challenge them to a duel and then at the end of that round you and him would be sent to duel in an arena where there would be a global message in the round saying "blah blha has accepted blah blah's challenge to watch press F1 to remain in this server press f2" or something to that effect.

Offline AoP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +53/-2
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:34:16 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I like the basic idea.
I just think this might massively interrupt the gameflow of campaign play.
Also, this would result in a bunch of questions that would need to be answered. Among them:

- Would players have to be punished (kicked from the server maybe?) for declining a certain amount of challenges or for challenging other players over and over again?
- If two players challenge the same guy, whose challenge would get priority by the game?

- What if numerous challenges would be issued? One after another or all at the same time?

- Based on what would odds be calculated?

etc.
I'll be straight honest... to me this seems like a fairly reliable way to empty out servers actually. I say players interested in duelling will prefer a pure deathmatch gamemode, players interested in objective oriented playing won't be happy having to spectate others duelling.

Offline eFFe

• MechWarrior
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 11:30:21 PM »
No, this couldn't be implemented in the regular game modes, it would have to be a complete new game mode on its own.

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Don't lose your head over MWLL
    • Mech Warrior Living Legends
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 02:40:34 AM »
No, this couldn't be implemented in the regular game modes, it would have to be a complete new game mode on its own.

^^^^ This was my thought from the start. I'm sure we could get servers to host that game mode as well "Solaris Server Number XXXX". I personally would enjoy this game mode, not only to watch and place bets, but those bets will help you if you're selected next when fighting someone else ;).