Author Topic: How to scale costs in the Btech universe.  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Criminal

• Founder Wandering Samurai
  • Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-3
    • MechWarrior: Living Legends
How to scale costs in the Btech universe.
« on: August 07, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »
Ok so everyone knows in the Btech universe that everything has a cost associated with it typically in C-bills. Now since we are now going to implement the economics of purchasing weapons and vehicles we need to come up with a way to scale the cost appropriately so that weapons can be purchased on the same scale as mechs and tanks and such. IMO there needs to be a pretty decent difference in cost but not to the point of ridiculousness. Any thoughts or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Don't lose your head over MWLL
    • Mech Warrior Living Legends
Re: How to scale costs in the Btech universe.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 03:00:03 AM »
I'll try to grab Wolf here soon this week and we can type up all of the ORGINAL C-Bill values for every single game element we wish to bring in and I'll post them here. From those numbers, we can crunch them down to be more level with one another.

Offline Criminal

• Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:11:29 AM »
He has them all in a spread sheet so that might be helpfull.

Offline Shotglass

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:56:29 PM »
I would like to see this also, it would help us in the league to keep everything concurrent

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »
Right, Wolf and I are working out C-bill costs and the base C-bill costs will be provided in the design doc shortly.

Offline Shotglass

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »
kama is da man

Offline Iron Hands

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 08:14:01 AM »
few questions to ask(alot actualy but i will save them)

What will the scale of the money system be and how will invantory work? How will money be aworded in this game? Will I get moeny from kills or objectives?

Usualy when curancy is implaminted the rest of the game revovles around it because of balanc issues. For instance, if i kill a mech will i be able to salvage parts from it? Will i have a chanse at taking the heavy guass rifle from something i kill? If we can take parts will we be able to sell them back for C-bills to buy other things with?
One night at a kon, I sang karekoi with Richard Epcar. And no, you cannot possibly understand how awsome it was. http://www.richardepcar.com/

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
Some very good questions.

What will the scale of the money system be and how will invantory work?

Well as stated above in the board, we're figuring out a decent balance between C-bills and the costs of all equipment in CBT. We also want to squish some of the costs closer together otherwise we will see an unbalance in over-powered infantry vs light mechs. Since a light Mech may only cost 500 k C-bills, that same amount could buy you any and all weaponry and armor for infantry or even a battlesuit. So we're working out a scale currently with costs that are a little more local so even if I have 100k C-bills I would be able to buy more than just infantry equipment.

There is no plans on implementing inventory or any sort of back pack system from RPG games. The only things you would be able to carry with you is equipment on your soldier that you have purchased or possibly picked up from other soldiers (guns, grenades, mines, possible dropables, ect..).

How will money be aworded in this game? Will I get moeny from kills or objectives?

Yes. Money (points) will be awarded based on team work (healing, capturing objectives, defending objectives, transportation ect..) as well as killing enemies.

Usualy when curancy is implaminted the rest of the game revovles around it because of balanc issues. For instance, if i kill a mech will i be able to salvage parts from it? Will i have a chanse at taking the heavy guass rifle from something i kill? If we can take parts will we be able to sell them back for C-bills to buy other things with?

Salvaging in this fashion will not be an option. Since we believe that the man power and machinery required to quickly rip off said "Heavy Gauss Rifle" would require a clear battle field before the salvage crews can do their work. Most of the Mech games run like this as well and you may only see your salvage AFTER the mission.Not having this option gets rid of the most of the sell back balance issues like you talked about so it'll make balancing that much easier since it's a one way buying system instead. And that shouldn't be too hard to play test...

If you have more questions feel free to ask :)

Offline Ack!

• Bondsman
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 07:20:29 AM »
Why not have mechs based on rank? Each side could have a selection of mechs that the pilot could chose from after attaining a certain rank. From there, if you wanted to further modify your mech, you could use your own money. You could use the enlisted ranks for infantry and the officer ranks for vehicles.

As far as salvage goes, you could make hooking up to and dragging a mech a slow process. Then, when you actually do get the mech back to base, it could be used for raw materials to speed up the manufacturing in any of the plants your team might control. 

Offline AoP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +53/-2
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 08:43:26 AM »
Why not have mechs based on rank? Each side could have a selection of mechs that the pilot could chose from after attaining a certain rank. From there, if you wanted to further modify your mech, you could use your own money.

That's actually what I would have loved to see as well. We've had our fair share of discussion about this, but the current direction of the mod is a different one.

Offline Dark Riot

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 10:05:35 PM »
The salvage option suggested by Ack seems nice. If you had a salvage vehicle towing something back that could help speed out production, I'd think it would be a target of importance. Action could shift there and the team salvaging the mech could defend the vehicle to make sure it's not destroyed since a replacement vehicle would cost money.

Perhaps if it was salvaged, the team that has the mech chassis could refit and repair the thing. Like having a new Daishi cost one million C-Bills, but the salvaged one could cost like 750k C-Bills.

Offline CW_Riot

• Bondsman
    • Clan Wolf
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 03:48:24 PM »
Why not using the BattleValues of the Mechs to scale it?

Sure there is a problem with Clan/IS tech,

eg.:

Bushwacker: BV 1073 (55t)
Shadow Cat Prime: BV 2057 (45t)

but maybe Clantech could be a bit more expansive to buy.

Here, with the Strana Mechty wolf,
we see what may be the epitome of a warrior,
cunning matched with instinct and stealth,
joined with a final, terrifying attack.
For this mighty creature, I name you.  You are Clan Wolf.  Nicholas Kerensky, 2810  

Offline Criminal

• Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 02:48:57 PM »
Why not using the BattleValues of the Mechs to scale it?

Sure there is a problem with Clan/IS tech,

eg.:

Bushwacker: BV 1073 (55t)
Shadow Cat Prime: BV 2057 (45t)

but maybe Clantech could be a bit more expansive to buy.

From a balance standpoint that's difficult to do, however, the Battletech values is what we decided on and we run them through a small self made formula to scale the cost down to easily manageable values.

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »
From a balance standpoint that's difficult to do, however, the Battletech values is what we decided on and we run them through a small self made formula to scale the cost down to easily manageable values.

This helps us balance the difference between Infantry Weapons to Tanks to Mechs. If we were to keep the costs as the battle values like in table top, then a person could have a choice to buy a million Infantry weapons or a small Mech... Not very scaled for the type of play we want.

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
  • The Counterattack Begins.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 06:32:16 AM »
Why not have mechs based on rank? Each side could have a selection of mechs that the pilot could chose from after attaining a certain rank. From there, if you wanted to further modify your mech, you could use your own money.

That's actually what I would have loved to see as well. We've had our fair share of discussion about this, but the current direction of the mod is a different one.

Why not have 'Mechs based on money based on rank?