Author Topic: Game Controls  (Read 12070 times)

Offline [CG] Merle Jimmus

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
Game Controls
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:40:21 PM »
Just a question on the human interface side of things. What is the primary control type for this game? ie: mouse, keyboard, joystick, gamepad etc.

I'm sure the mouse is likely the primary control, but it sure would be nice to be able to switch to the Joystick when piloting a mech or arospace fighter.

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Don't lose your head over MWLL
    • Mech Warrior Living Legends
Re: Game Controls
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:45:01 AM »
We plan to incorporate joystick control with piloting Mechs, aero-space. But like you said, M&K is the primary use of piloting.

Offline wand

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:55:15 PM »
one thing i always found annoying in mw4 was the lack of computer talking.  like when you try to change fire modes, you gotta memorize the patterns instead of hearing the comp tell you what you selected.  that lets me focus on what im doing without having to put up with crap (that doesnt mean it was annoying to hear, but at least i didnt have to look and check).  i never had a joystick so i played with mouse and keyboard.

I was more of an FPS player before I got mechwarrior 3, so I changed a bunch of controls around.

I made it a habit to use ESDF for forward, backward, turn left/right, and the w and r buttons for torso when i couldnt get mouse to do it.  Spacebar for the jumpjets of course (although i used rightclick for it too so spacebar hardly was used), the n button for nav, the v button for target enemy (alt+ and ctrl+ for the variations), the b button for ally targeting, the a button for flushing heat coolant, the c button for crouching, the x button for changing view/perspectives, (ctrl+x for eject), the q button for changing fire modes, and the z button for shut down (ctrl+z for override).  the r button was for radar range (alt and ctrl for radar stuff).  the t button for chatting, y for teamchat, and the g button or mousedown for zooming.

and........ juust in case the devs want to save me some reconfig time when they release the game, they might make a "wand's config" built in for me, which would be really cool and let me get straight into the fun.  just in case, lemme spell it out:

E=throttleup
D=throttledown
S=turnleft
F=turnright
W=torsoleft
R=torsoright
Spacebar=jumpjet
Rightclick=jumpjet

Q=cyclefiringmode
A=flushcoolant

V=targetenemy
Ctrl+V=targetpreviousenemy
Alt+V=targetnextenemy
B=targetally
Ctrl+B=targetpreviousally
Alt+B=targetnextally
Mousewheeldown=zoom
G=zoom

X=changeperspective
Ctrl+X=eject
Z=shutdown/startup
Ctrl+Z=override shutdown

T=chat
Y=teamchat

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 07:01:05 PM »
I think a good idea would be to get all the Beta/apha testers that we will have to give us their configs anad input on what works best.  Then make default settings and configs based on that.

+Level Designer!

Offline Criminal

• Founder Wandering Samurai
  • Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-3
    • MechWarrior: Living Legends
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 07:46:49 PM »
I think a good idea would be to get all the Beta/apha testers that we will have to give us their configs anad input on what works best.  Then make default settings and configs based on that.

Yeah i think this is the best way to do it, and i'm looking over your config and its seems very similar to something Kamiakaze set up for MW4. I think we need to get Wand testing for us asap ;)

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Don't lose your head over MWLL
    • Mech Warrior Living Legends
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 09:29:39 PM »
...i never had a joystick so i played with mouse and keyboard.

I was more of an FPS player before I got mechwarrior 3, so I changed a bunch of controls around....

LOL! It's funny to see someone else's setup that almost exactly the same as mine :D. I too used a mix of FPS and other Simulator controls in order to adapt the M&K technique. Alot of my MSN Zone buddies were always wondering how I did so well in piloting my mech, cause they were all using just Joystick or Joystick and Keyboard.

Just like you, I used ESDF for movement cause then I'd have more buttons available to press for different functions. I'll type out my config on what sorta setup I used ;).

Movement:
E=Throttle up
D=Throttle down
S=Turn feet left
F=Turn feet right
A=Stop
Z=Toggle forward/reverse
V=Crouch
Spacebar=Jump Jets

Targeting:
Q=Target next Friendly
W=Target under crosshairs
T=Target Next Enemy
H=Target Nearest Hostile
R=Zoom

Looking (used alot):
X=Look left
C=Look right
B=Look back
M=Look down

Misc:
ctrl+R=Toggle Active/Passive Radar
G=Coolant
O=Override Shutdown
P=Shutdown/Startup
Y=All chat
U=Team chat
\=Change fire modes
ctrl+Z=Eject
L=Light Amp

My Mouse was setup on moving just the Torso for the mech (like FPS) so I could use that for aiming. Each or my mouse button were setup on Firing the different Weapon Groups.
Mouse1=Fire weapon group 1
Mouse2=Fire weapon group 2
Mouse3=Fire weapon group 3
Keyboard button 5=Fire weapons group 4 (normally used with LRMs)

It's funny how I remember all these buttons by heart. Just goes to show that MW3 and MW4 were very good games and exciting to remember. Some of the specific buttons are different but the concept is the same :). I remember getting criticism about using M&K, but later people realized it could be done :).

I'm probably gonna use a similar setup in MWLL too  8).

Offline Shotglass

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 07:38:45 AM »
i will be using my X52 for this game to be sure :D

Offline Criminal

• Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:04:06 PM »
i will be using my X52 for this game to be sure :D

GRRR jerk, hopefully you'd be willing to help hash out the aircraft feel with me when we are in alpha. I'm quite a flight sim fanatic but i'd love to have someone else playing with a joystick as well to bounce ideas and opinions back and forth.

Offline TheEnigma

• MechWarrior
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 11:25:24 PM »

GRRR jerk, hopefully you'd be willing to help hash out the aircraft feel with me when we are in alpha. I'm quite a flight sim fanatic but i'd love to have someone else playing with a joystick as well to bounce ideas and opinions back and forth.

I'll be using my stick  ;)

Offline Shotglass

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 12:04:27 AM »
Of course i will help witht that crim :D

Offline icewyrm

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 07:50:44 AM »
I've always wanted dual joystick support in a mechwarrior game...
IE, one stick for movement, one for aiming, and the buttons for all your common stuff are spread across the sticks. 

Though, I don't think I've seen a game that supports this style of play before on PC (or at least, that supported it well).  I always tried to fit the joystick in when I played mechwarrior games, just because it felt more fun with a stick than with a kb/m combo.  I guess it's just the psychology factor at work :D  Certainly kb/m was more accurate.

Of course it all gets icky when you have to do more than pilot vehicles, since you have to somehow find room on your desk for 2 joysticks, your keyboard and your mouse all at once  ;D

Offline Criminal

• Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 02:10:25 PM »
Well you actually can do this in alot of games. A good example is FSX since you can map all your secondary joystick controls to throttle/view/and any other controls. I expect Crysis will be much the same so if you truly feel that you want to play with the two joysticks i don't see it being a problem. There was a title by the name of "Steel Battallion" for Xbox that had duel joysticks as well as this HUGE console to control with. It didn't really take off since it was super expensive as well as a huge eyesore to whatever room it may be in.

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 07:41:50 PM »
I will use my X-52 also. I used to love the MS ForceFeed 2 sticks. Just turn off the Force Feedback and the stick was as smooth as silk! The durability was not so good. I think I went through like 4 sticks. I could never find parts to repair it so I kept buying new ones. There never seemed to be enough buttons on them. That was a draw back too. The X-52 has plenty of buttons but the spring resistance on the stick is not as smooth as the magnetic field of the MS ForceFeed back 2.

Oh well, I guess it is all in what you like.  :)

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline [CG] Merle Jimmus

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 10:08:17 PM »
I know what you mean Aidan. I use the X-52 as well and I really think for the amount of thought that went into this control system (and it is great) they could have went a step further than the spring centering mechanism. But as far as the rest of it goes, 2 hand controls is the ONLY way to go.

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 11:33:55 PM »
All I have to say is- MAKE IT PEDAL COMPATIBLE. Add in compatibility for as many different types of controls as possible! pedals, duel joystticks, k&M.... hell, for that matter, pleaseplease allow your mouse to use all 10 or eleven buttons mice now pack, plus tip/scroll wheels. Allow use of tablets as well.