Author Topic: Fanfiction: No Glory  (Read 1251 times)

Offline BunkerBob

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Fanfiction: No Glory
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »
After looking through most of MWLL on MODdb I was swayed enough to lay the first short chapter of a small story. I pulled all of the names used from memory(I haven't played mechwarrior or studied up on it in months). If their just wrong, let me know and I'll change it to miss a beating. But please leave your thoughts on it so far.

I haven't chosen a name yet, nothing strikes my fancy.

No Glory
A Fanfiction based on MW and MWLL

By BunkerBob   

Chapter 1: A Long Road
   “This is Halerion V News bringing you news straight from the war zones.” The Anchor woman smiles as she looks into the holo cameras. “Two years ago to this date the ‘Clans’ as they have come to be called began a new campaign in the outer rim systems.” Turning her head she rotates in the chair toward a different camera. “This campaign came to a complete surprise to most of the ‘Inner Sphere’ governments and gave rise to a great need for Mercenary forces. These new battalions have since formed into four major battalions.” A large square appears on a screen behind the women as the four symbols of the leading Mercenary groups appear. “Due to the lack of coordination most gains have been marginal at best with House Kurita forced to drop two major contracts for their personnel mech production facilities.” The four logos disappear as reels of combat footage replace it. “With the invasion of Shaara III lifted Prince Davion has issued a long term defense contract to the Mercenary Battalion Gray Death Legion to defend the system and stop any possible raids that could mean loosing an important trading hub in that sector of the outer rim. We have been unable to reach Prince Davion for a comment on why the Legion was chosen over the Kell Hounds, a long time supporter of Prince Davion.” The images fade away as the Halerion V news logo appears on the screen. “Thank you for choosing Halerion V News for your daily news needs.”

Kurgin Tocana sighs miserably finally managing to deactivate the small holo projector after several attempts as the dusty old transport vehicle bucks from another one of the countless potholes in the dusty unpaved road. Rubbing a hand over the base of his neck he looks out the grime covered window watching the terrain crawl past.
“Are we at the proving grounds yet? I’ve lost feeling to the back of my skull!” He yells out mockingly toward the front of the vehicle. The driver gives a vicious swerve hitting several more potholes in response. Holding the back of his head with both of his hands he grits his teeth. “You win. Twit.” Kurgin mumbles as he sways to the vehicle.
   Looking around the small compartment he views the other trainees with mild interest. Some were mech pilots and others were battle suit users like himself. Unable to interface with the mech neural implants Kurgin opted for the small versatile battle suit instead of being stuck as a mechanic. Turning his head he looks over at his partner, Jacobs, Kurgin never bothered to discover his last name.
   Jacobs opens his left eye looking toward Kurgin. “Jacobs is my last name.” His eye rotates back toward the far wall and closes again. Kurgin let out a small snort as he rubs the back of his neck feeling the suit interface that lets him connect with his partner or squad on their own coded short range channel. Jacobs stretches slightly and yawns. “You should stop thinking on the channel, its far to hard to sleep with your thoughts talking to me all the time.” Kurgin nods his head as he yawns and closes his eyes.
   Feeling the truck grind to a stop Jacobs punches Kurgin in his arm. “Wake up you giant phial of scrap. We’re at the grounds.”
   As the truck groaned to a stop the side passenger doors swing open. Breathing a sigh of relief Kurgin waits for the pompous Mech pilots to file past. Stepping off the dusty transport Kurgin looks back down the road watching the dust slowly settle. The sound of a jet is heard as a Cougar training mech is seen leaping into the air. Watching with waning interest the Cougar light mech reaches the apex of the jump and begins to fall. Unable to control his descent the Cougar crashes into the ground amid the laughter of the fresh pilots and curses of personnel.
   Shaking his head Kurgin turns and falls in line with the other pilots filing past the bus toward a large warehouse. Activating the private comm. channel Kurgin looks toward Jacobs near the front of the line. “What these mech pilots don’t get is that their going to be making that same mistake.” Jacobs makes a visible snort hearing the comment. “I heard that. Lets just hope we aren’t below them when they fall.” Kurgin takes his eyes off the back of Jacobs and nods his head looking toward the deep blue sky. “I heard that.” Deactivating his comm. channel Kurgin hears a groan coming from the crashed Cougar as the Mech rights itself and resumes practice.
   The hangars from a distance didn’t appear immense but seeing them open with a Atlas behind it puts it into perspective quickly for any pilot not use to the size needed to maintain even a light scout Mech. The green pilots whistle and cheer as the Atlas strides past them its huge clearing the column of recruits easily. Hearing a loud bang the green soldiers hit the ground as a light gauss cannon fires from the Atlas shooting down range beyond the tree line. Kurgin smiles as he watches the fresh Mech pilots pick themselves together amid the curses of their drill instructor. “Listen to me you pathetic lot of grease and spent ordinance!” The Drill instructor takes in a deep breath after screaming out the last sentence. “YOU are now a representative of the four main Mercenary battalions, at the end of this introduction course you will be choosing which flag you march for. If you have a partner then it is a team decision NOT yours alone.” The instructors face reddens as his fever increases with each word. “Do NOT be surprised if you fight the man next to you someday, you are a mercenary not an allie, your lance commander is your leader, money is your god, keep your god happy and you WILL be rewarded with your faith. I’m giving you all two hours to make a decision and then you all shall part ways to your own instructors.” The instructor turned on his heels and strides off toward another bus preparing to leave.
   Leaning over Jacobs whispers in Kurgin’s ear. “We need to think this through carefully, each group has its own benefits, we need to weigh them carefully.” Nodding his head Kurgin looks toward the entrance to the giant hangar. “You’re right, we need to find one that benefits teams of battle suits not just mech pilots. I heard the Highlander group gives instant access to clan tech suits. They might be worth looking into.” Jacobs shakes his head after dwelling on that small bit of information. “I don’t trust that sort of offer, we’ve always specialized using Inner sphere Longinus suits. I’ve seen the specifications on their base suits, I would rather use a rock and a stick.” Nodding his head Kurgin looks toward the Kell Hound hangar. “Kell Hounds might be worth it, they give Lances a larger starting capital than the others and they stick with Inner Sphere tech as well.” Jacobs rocks his head back and forth. “A good point but we don’t have to bother with starting funds we’re auxiliaries. Not the center of battle.” Kurgin bits his lower lip and eyes the Atlas towering over a barracks. “I conquer, the Gray Death Legion might work their fairly balanced on all of their policies. They should suit our needs quite nicely.” Nodding his head Jacobs looks toward the section marked for the Legion. Several battle suits were locked up with a Raven and Uziel bother powered down in their harnesses. “I agree, lets head over to their station.” Smiling to himself Kurgin looks at the well maintained suits and Mechs, their armor gleaming in the sun pouring through the hangar doors.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:09:07 AM by BunkerBob »

Offline Stormin'

• 2D Contributor
  • MWLL Contributor
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
  • Web Developer
    • Lance Command
Re: Just a small fanfiction I started
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:42:39 AM »
It needs a little cleaning up, but it is very interesting!  I was drawn in easily. =)

On another note, you mentioned my first MW team which I had forgotten and was trying to remember for another thread...Death Legion.  Long, long time ago...

Stormin' (a.k.a. Xtrekker/Zensai @MWO)
Project Lead Developer
www.lancecommand.com

Offline BunkerBob

• Bondsman
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:59:47 PM »
Thank you, I don't go for 100% no spelling mistakes unless I truly feel like taking it that far. Since I seem to be drawning people in to the story I believe I'll continue it.

That is not all of the first chapter either. I'll be finishing it off soon.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:51:25 PM by BunkerBob »

Offline BunkerBob

• Bondsman
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »
Final passage of the first chapter has been posted, still not sure on what to call this story yet.

I believe I'll call it No Glory. Seems to suit the direction I have it going in.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:36:23 AM by BunkerBob »