Author Topic: Comstar's Invisible Truth  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Mavajo

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Comstar's Invisible Truth
« on: November 24, 2008, 07:33:38 PM »
Alright, so shortly before Task Force Serpent commenced, ComStar revealed that they had an old Cameron-class warpship, the Invisible Truth.  The novel that covered this part of the fiction provided a brief story:  Basically, at some point in the past, ComStar happened across two badly damaged Cameron-class warships.  Neither was functional on its own, so they cannabalized the one (I forget the name) in order to rebuild the other (Invisible Truth) to operational status.

Anyway, the novel makes a vague reference to the fact that there was a somewhat mysterious or potentially sinister background to how ComStar found the two ships, or how those ships had originally met their demise.  Is this ever addressed anywhere in the BT universe?  It's one of those things I've always wondered about ever since reading it.

Also, +2 coolpoints to whoever remembers the name of the other ship.

Offline PanzerBoxb

• Captain Cheese™
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
Re: Comstar's Invisible Truth
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »
SLS Lady Shandra (Invisible Truth) and SLS Electa (StarSword in ComStar terms) if Google serves me right.  :D

I had completely forgotten about them having that ship.  Maybe I should dig out my books and reread them.  Then again, maybe not.  It will make me a sad panda to remember just how bad they effed up the whole storyline.

Offline TimoBlastem

• MechWarrior
    • Collective Conspiracy
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
Why is one old warship of importance?  Is it the deathstar or something?

Offline KiloEcho

• MechWarrior
  • aka FreebirthScum
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »
The Invisible Truth was a ship dating back to the fall of the Star League, and the decline of technology, so it would be a major find, not to mention the most powerful ship in Task Force Serpent's armada.  Anything relating/dating back to the Star League would hold special awe to the Inner Sphere, and would be a Holy Grail for the Clans.  And, on a symbolic level, it'd be leading the assault on Huntress/ and by extension all the Clans.  That pretty much amounts to the Clan's sacred legacy not only waltzing into their homeland, but practically bitch slapping their superior technology.

Later on I think it becomes the Precenter Martial's flagship, exception when Victor's off fighting the FedCom Civil War of course.  With all this history, I'd find it easy to support a motion that The Invisible Truth is the single most important warship in all Battletech.  Correct me if I'm wrong with the 'most important' assessment.

Believing in a political party is not a sign of a person's intelligence, just his willingness to be led about by the nose.
Individual conviction and decisive actions are the signs of true intelligence.

~Admiral James McKenna.  September 15, 2313

Offline Mavajo

• Bondsman
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »
Why is one old warship of importance?  Is it the deathstar or something?

Basically, warships no longer existed in the Inner Sphere by the time the Clans invaded.  They had been pounded into extinction during the Succession Wars, and the last operational warships were destroyed during the Second Succession War.  The Inner Sphere was unable to build new ones because of the technological degradation suffered during the wars. 

So when Comstar unveiled that they had a warship in their possession, it was a pretty big deal.  The fact that the ship served as a tie to the glory days of the Star League just served to make it even more momentous.

One of the goals of Task Force Serpent and Operation Bulldog was to display the unity of the new Star League, hoping to reinforce the legitimacy of the new League to the Clans.  So to be able to have one of the largest Star League era warships as their flagship for the invasion into clan space...pretty big deal.  The fact that it was a Cameron-class ship was probably icing on the cake (House Cameron was the forbearer and founder of the Star League...although it's ironic that the Cameron-class ships were known for their many technical issues and faults).

Anyway, there's your explanation as to why the Invisible Truth was such a big deal.  No other non-Clan faction in the entire Inner Sphere had one, and it served as a tie to the glory days of the Star League and a symbol of legitimacy to the Clans.

Offline TimoBlastem

• MechWarrior
    • Collective Conspiracy
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »
That's pretty cool.  I can see the significance of the ship, but did it have an impact on battles?  I still find it odd that one ship can make a tactical difference.

Offline PanzerBoxb

• Captain Cheese™
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:31:10 PM »
The warships packed a considerable amount of firepower.  While in the classic BT era a DropShip was the big guns, a true warship could swat them out of the sky with ease.

Offline Mavajo

• Bondsman
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 09:51:12 PM »
Warships were ridiculously powerful.  It's like comparing a Hovercraft to a BattleMech.

Your average Jumpship is about 50,000 to 200,000 tons.  Your average Warship is easily 500,000+ tons, with quite a few coming in at over 800,000 tons.  A few models weighed in at around 2,000,000 tons.

Offline TimoBlastem

• MechWarrior
    • Collective Conspiracy
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:03:49 PM »
I see.  It's a bit like a battlestar, eh?

Offline PanzerBoxb

• Captain Cheese™
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »
Not really.  It was a battlecruiser and there were actual battleship class warships out there.

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 04:58:19 AM »
Comstars Warship fleet
Code: [Select]
Blake's Strength BC Black Lion-class
Invisible Truth BC Cameron-class
Vision of Truth BC Potemkin-class
Blake's Vengeance CA Sovetskii-Soyuz-class
Harmonious Thought CA Sovetskii-Soyuz-class
Avenging Sword CA Aegis-class
Righteous Fury CA Aegis-class
Swift Justice CA Aegis-class
Anastasius Focht DD Suffren-class
Manchester DD Suffren-class
Leander DD Lola III-class
Divine Wisdom DD Lola III-class
Holy Martyrdom DD Lola III-class
Strength Through Adversity DD Lola III-class
Blake's Vision DD Lola III-class
Ranger DD Lola III-class
Hammer Strike DD Essex-class
Deathblow DD Essex-class
Brandenburg Crusader DD Essex-class
Defender of Versailles DD Essex-class
Starlight DD Essex-class
Emerald DD Essex-class
FireFang DD Whirlwind-class
Montpellier FF Dante-class
Bordeaux FF Dante-class
Narbonee FF Dante-class
Cleansing Fire FF Congress-class
Holling's York FF Congress-class
Enlightened Path FF Volga-class
Alacrity CR Vincent MK.39-class
Determination CR Vincent MK.39-class
Resillience CR Vincent MK.39-class
Dover FRD Faslane-class
Plymouth FRD Faslane-class
Dun Laoghaire FRD Faslane-class
Roslare FRD Faslane-class
Galamorgan FRD Faslane-class
Portsmouth FRD Faslane-class

Word of Blake have another 19 or so ships

Code: [Select]
Blake's Sword BB McKenna-class
Immortal Spirit CA Aegis-class
Hidden Meaning DD Essex-class
Guarded Knowledge DD Lola III-class
Sword of Promise Unknown
Light of Hope Unknown
Sheridan TV Bonaventure-class
Invincible BC Tharkad-class
Xanthos BC Black Lion-class
Blake Ascendant BC Black Lion-class
Perdition FF Dante-class
Divine Forgiveness DD Essex-class
Red Angel FF Riga-class
Unknown DD Naga-class
Unknown DD Naga-class
Unknown DD Naga-class
Deliverance DD Essex-class
Righteous Honor DD Essex-class
Blake's Redemption CR Vincent Mk.39-class

BB-Battleship
BC-Battlecruiser
CA-Heavy Cruiser
FF-Frigate
DD-Destroyer
CR-Corvette
TV-Training Vessel
FRD-Fleet Repair Dock/Vessel

Offline Mavajo

• Bondsman
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 03:41:34 PM »
So what it sounds like, the powers that be never elaborated on the background story of the Invisible Truth and its sister ship, specifically in regards to how they were disabled in the first place and then subsequently found?

Offline PanzerBoxb

• Captain Cheese™
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »
Not that I could find.  It is just one of many juicy tidbits that were left to rot on the vine.

Offline Mavajo

• Bondsman
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »
Looking into this reminded me of the old Clan Wolverine / Minnesota Tribe potential connection.  I guess that's another cool little story in Battletech that will never be resolved...

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »
Good God!  Just looking at Nebfers lists of CS and WoB Combat Jumpships, can't think of any other faction as powerful, with that lot either of the Blakists could glass the entire Chaos March, seriously, what timeline did they have all that, and how did they service them, given that all the naval dock yards big enough for warships were the 1st targets of the 1st Suc War, were they just mothballed?  Dont think any Clan, not even Snow Raven could stand if that entire CS fleet moved at once, makes you wonder why they didnt just strip Strana Mechty, Huntress and all the other Clan Homeworlds, of Atmos from Orbit!

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer