Author Topic: System freezes for no apparent reason...  (Read 5937 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
System freezes for no apparent reason...
« on: December 11, 2013, 05:57:57 PM »
I'll get straight to the point...
11 to 15 FPS just don't work for me, so I got myself some new hardware ;)

An AMD FX 6300 six core processor
A Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0)
And some "generic" RAM (not noname, but don't ask me xD)

I even got a new PSU, just to be on the safe side.

However, whenever I wanna play a game that wasn't made in the ninetees, my system freezes after a few (3 to 5, NEVER more than 10) minutes.

I can rule out heat as the reason: CPU never went above 45°C, GPU reached 75°C and was 'stable', but crashes happened as low as 60°C.
I also tried various versions of all the drivers I can think of (sound, graphics, even USB 3.0)

Any ideas?

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Perigren

• Alphatester
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Eh?
Re: System freezes for no apparent reason...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
Possibly bad ram.
AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE @ 3.2 Ghz,ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler
ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB)  DDR3 1333
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5, 2x 21.5" Samsung LED monitors(BX-2231)
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 full ATX case
Kingston 96 Gb SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA III
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
Possibly bad ram.

Any way to be sure when only a single 'stick' of RAM is available?

Edit: Attached my DXDIAG.txt
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:33:47 PM by ~SJ~ Atlessa »

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
Download Prime95, run the stress test for a while. It'll stress both the CPU and RAM, and it'll let you know when it finds an error. For a more isolated way to test the RAM, use memtest+.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »
Memtest came up negative (no errors)

Gonna try prime95 now.

Edit: Prime95 has been running for 15 minutes straight with no issues (no game has ever lasted that long), will let it run for a while longer.

Anyone have a similar progrem for stress-testing the GPU? (because my guts tell me that's where the error happens...)

And: how 'hot' can a GPU (geforce 9800GT) get without me having to worry?
It reached 75°C earlier today once... and crashed a few minutes later.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:35:51 PM by ~SJ~ Atlessa »

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »
Prime95 ran for 90 minutes with no issues. I think it's safe to say at this point: my CPU and its cooling is working fine ^^

Offline Perigren

• Alphatester
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Eh?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »
I googled your vid card and 75c is ok, it is rated to 105c.

If mem test and stress test came back ok then I would check the psu. If that is ok then im stumped. I am not sure if software configurations would cause this issue, have you made any significant changes to your system?
AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE @ 3.2 Ghz,ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler
ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB)  DDR3 1333
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5, 2x 21.5" Samsung LED monitors(BX-2231)
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 full ATX case
Kingston 96 Gb SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA III
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »
I googled your vid card and 75c is ok, it is rated to 105c.

If mem test and stress test came back ok then I would check the psu. If that is ok then im stumped. I am not sure if software configurations would cause this issue, have you made any significant changes to your system?

I tried both my PSUs with identical results.

... did you read my first post? The ENTIRE POINT was that I bought new hardware... so yes, of course I made changes to my system.
-> consider it a brand new system, with a few "old" parts being re-used (GFX, case and HDDs)

I DID find something about the AMD FX series though...
-> http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/STEAMGamesonAMDFXplatforms.aspx

Nevermind that they say it happens with "steam enabled games": this is exactly what's happening to me (in all games I tested).
Their suggested solution is upgrading the BIOS... but... SURPRISE!!!  No BIOS upgrades available for my board yet...

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »
Prime95 ran for 90 minutes with no issues. I think it's safe to say at this point: my CPU and its cooling is working fine ^^

It's never safe to say that. If there was a serious issue it might come up within 90 minutes. Typically a system is considered "rock stable" after at least 24 hours of prime. I am not saying that it must be the RAM in your system, just saying that you can technically never rule it out and to be something closer to 99% sure, you should run such tests for a few hours at least.

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »
My point was this:

ALL teh games I tested crash within minutes, whereas prime 95 ran fine for over an hour, so I'd rather test other hardware now.

Like... I downloaded 3D mark and... guess what? My system crashed within SECONDS after the test started.
My HDD made some funny noises while the system was frozen (stopped as I hit the reset button), but it's hard to say if that's what CAUSED the crash, or was caused BY the crash...

Currently, I think the issue is with my (at least 3 years old) graphics card... I will try to cool it more, maybe that will help... (grasping at straws here <.<)

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40:04 AM »
From what you've posted it's likely you either have a bad GPU or need different drivers. AMD is notorious for putting out drivers in a good/bad/good/bad random pattern.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:46:58 AM by Sxooter »

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54:55 AM »
I also have a 9800GT (goes up to 90ºC when stressed, so yeah in your case temperature shouldn't be the problem), and recently it does freeze sometimes, but its from another thing: the GPU will stop working or not make my system boot if its slotted in a certain way in the motherboard. I have to push it to the left or the right sometimes to solve or make the system boot.

Programs to stress the GPU and detect artifacts/errors by itself: OCCT, EVGA OC Scanner X. Just stressing (the artifacts are easily noticeable though): FurMark.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline McGondy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 03:32:36 AM »
Have you OCed the GPU? If mine get's above 20% more power it crashes the driver.

Also, what model PSU is it?

Have you flashed the BIOS to a newer revision? (might be risky if unstable, but dualbios should cover you)

And did you do a clean install of winders after the hardware change?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:41:39 AM by McGondy »
In a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 04:39:12 PM »
From what you've posted it's likely you either have a bad GPU or need different drivers. AMD is notorious for putting out drivers in a good/bad/good/bad random pattern.

I hardly believe the GPU can be bad, as it ran fine the past 2 or 3 years (albeit I never got to stress it to it's fullest, so /hmmm)

the GPU will stop working or not make my system boot if its slotted in a certain way in the motherboard. I have to push it to the left or the right sometimes to solve or make the system boot.

This is a VERY interesting bit of information, as I did notice the card not fitting into the socket properly or rather due to the measurements of the case, I couldn't push it ALL the way in (as if the new board or PCI-e socket were a few mm thinner/shorter...)

Have you OCed the GPU? If mine get's above 20% more power it crashes the driver.

I did not.

Also, what model PSU is it?

The old one was a "noname", rated 550W, which I deemed sufficient at first, but... yeah...

The current one is a "LC-Power" model LC6450  V2.2 (that's what it says on the box...)

Have you flashed the BIOS to a newer revision? (might be risky if unstable, but dualbios should cover you)

Good of you to strike that out xD
But will be the first thing I do once updates are available.

And did you do a clean install of winders after the hardware change?

I did.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 01:40:50 AM »

I hardly believe the GPU can be bad, as it ran fine the past 2 or 3 years (albeit I never got to stress it to it's fullest, so /hmmm)

So are you running the same drivers you ran for the past 2 or 3 years? And the GPU can easily be bad if you managed to blow out something with ESD. But a bad driver is probably a more likely issue than ESD.