Author Topic: How do we pick up development again?  (Read 12243 times)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Re: How do we pick up development again?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 04:22:29 AM »
Is there any chance that some of us will live to see all this kind of BS ending?  >:(

Hope someone gets filthy rich, buys the entire battletech/mechwarrior IP, and then proceeds to make the entire franchise born again in great glory.

Other than that... no I don't see a chance.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline DKPortela

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-2
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 07:11:25 AM »
Is there any chance that some of us will live to see all this kind of BS ending?  >:(

Hope someone gets filthy rich, buys the entire battletech/mechwarrior IP, and then proceeds to make the entire franchise born again in great glory.

Assuming MS would sell the IP... Which they wont even if it was dead, just to spite the fans as they did before mind you.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 07:24:38 AM »
I imagine that holding the IP so they can be paid for licenses to use it without doing any work themselves is closer to the truth. I doubt EA bought all those companies (RIP Westwood, Bullfrog etc) just to spite gamers (that they've done nothing with, or have made butchered mockeries of sequels (WHYYY C&C4, WHYY) is borderline criminal), spiting the people you want to buy your product doesn't seem like a feasible long term economic strategy.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
  • MechWarrior CyclonerM, Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy
    • www.clan-wolf.info
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »

I swear on my honor of Clan warrior that if i will ever work in the gaming industry i will do everything in my power to propose a new MechWarrior sequel to the big ones and eventually "fight" against every hostile company, possessive publisher and money-hungry society that will prevent the game to shine and bring back the franchise to its former glory! Thus shall it stand until we all shall fall (and by this i mean until the last MechWarrior/Battletech fan will die)  8)

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
shadows and dust...

It's not just about removing the cheat protection (which would be a horrible, terrible idea - see below), it's about understanding how all of the component pieces of the project work together, and making them work in an efficient way.  Also, as soon as you go down the path of non-centralised "mod of the mod" development then you invite absolute chaos to move in rent free, and that bitch doesn't even do dishes.

The code protection for the game doesn't exist as some sort of grief tactic, it was a legitimate response to observed client-side modifications to weapon characteristics and vehicle armour values.  Ex. guass that does 100,000 damage per hit with a round doing 3x the stated speed.

Also:

Thanks for saying what I said with more words? Point is, that people keep asking, and there is nothing we can do to help them. Hell, since you're here, what was the reasoning behind commenting out all the logging in the LUA that we could have used for league automation?
My milk shakes!

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »
No SVN + no comment logs = no idea

By my hazy recollection it's been almost 2 years since any League Mode logging/feature development was done; there is no way to remember why it was disabled.  Wild guess: performance.

And you are right, there is nothing we can do now.  Some may put the word in quotes to somehow make it less real, but "shutdown" means exactly that: the project has ceased all active, central and official development.  The resources that were used by the project team have all been taken away.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
    • www.clan-wolf.info
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
the project has ceased all active, central and official development.
Written in thia way, it seems that there is still a chance that renewed unofficial developement by someone within the community with sufficient skills and with the source code is possible..  ::)

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
No it isn't.

Since work on the project can only be done by a party granted a license to the IP, and the only license that was in effect was the one that Wandering Samurai had, and Wandering Samurai has ceased to be a developing party, then your presumption is incorrect.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »
Written in thia way, it seems that there is still a chance that renewed unofficial developement by someone within the community with sufficient skills and with the source code is possible..  ::)
For most things there is no need of source code. You can just modify XML files. I even fixed the reticle (partially - only the X - axis) just modifying them.

There is just a little technical problem. If you want to modify those files, you need to break cheat protection.

But the main problem is that if you want to even show your modifications, you have to remove all Mechwarrrior IP related stuff...and that doesn't simply mean to rename mechs and weapons, but also change the vehicle designs...even the BA one.

Well, actually you have to change everything lol

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
    • www.clan-wolf.info
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »
For most things there is no need of source code. You can just modify XML files. I even fixed the reticle (partially - only the X - axis) just modifying them.

There is just a little technical problem. If you want to modify those files, you need to break cheat protection.

But the main problem is that if you want to even show your modifications, you have to remove all Mechwarrrior IP related stuff...and that doesn't simply mean to rename mechs and weapons, but also change the vehicle designs...even the BA one.

Well, actually you have to change everything lol
[/quote]
Since work on the project can only be done by a party granted a license to the IP, and the only license that was in effect was the one that Wandering Samurai had, and Wandering Samurai has ceased to be a developing party, then your presumption is incorrect.

Ok, i got it. Not that i had the skills to do it. I just wonder what is the true reason behind this "shutdown" ( seriously, did they think that a mostly unknown mod could have damaged MWO's success, even if so good?). And i also wonder if they would know at all if someone does fix some of the little bugs left or uncompleted assets..  ::)

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »
"Shutdown" had no special meaning Leer, stop being a dick, I used it rather then FORCED SHUTDOWN. As for wiping the database, seems that the intent was to make sure nothing could be done to correct bugs, pick up development again ever, even after lengthy discussions to the contrary in our meetings. Nicely played.

As for dancing around the word "Development", I was trying not to send up red flags to anyone we would need to worry about if we tried to fix the bugs or roll back hud. So yes I was intentionally dancing around the word in one respect, stop reading more into it then was really there.

Since all was wiped out, and we can't do anything more to correct issues or even further enhance the Mod, then I'd say it's just as dead as we had feared and with the pending failure of MWO, we have no MW title that we can really invest our time into and enjoy. Sad, but seems MW is destined to just die out since no one can manage it right. I'm not sure why someone wiped the database for MWLL other then to ensure we couldn't do anything else, and I can't understand why anyone would agree to do it and actually do it considering the extremely hard and log hours that went into it. I find it hard to believe anyone could just wipe out all of that.

I quess we are done here then.
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 11:14:30 PM »
Let it go peoplings. Development is one and done, there's nothing you can do. Never, ever.

Accept it, cherish what you got (it ain't gonna change) and play the damn game.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2013, 01:47:25 AM »
Accept it, cherish what you got (it ain't gonna change) and play the damn game.

+ over 9000

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2013, 03:06:11 AM »
As for wiping the database, seems that the intent was to make sure nothing could be done to correct bugs, pick up development again ever, even after lengthy discussions to the contrary in our meetings.

I'm not sure why someone wiped the database for MWLL other then to ensure we couldn't do anything else, and I can't understand why anyone would agree to do it and actually do it considering the extremely hard and log hours that went into it. I find it hard to believe anyone could just wipe out all of that.

I quess we are done here then.

Yes. That was the exact intent for the wipe of privileges. Stop all current and future development in one fell swoop.
It worked. That's it. It's been done and finished for almost a year now. We are done here. We have been for quite some time.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2013, 07:11:32 AM »
Man.... its already been a year.  :-X
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-