Author Topic: Fresh install with combined installer on new laptop fails d3dx10_34.dll missing  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
So when I just now installed the combined crysis wars + mwll installer, I get the error that d3dx10_34.dll is missing, try re-installing etc.

reinstalling doesn't fix it. Any hints or tips on this?

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
Have you tried restoring the d3dx10_34.dll file from the latest DirectX package? Remember to reboot after this to have the system recognized the changes properly if not asked to do so. Else a fresh reinstall of DirectX might be good since files at times suffers from redundancy if multiple copies exists :/ Optionally if this doesn't work it may be the graphics driver that needs an update.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
Install DirectX End-User Runtime to get the latest DirectX updates.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
First off, please DO NOT search for and download D3DX10_34.DLL by itself, many of those library sites contain malware.

If the new laptop came with Win 7 or Win 8, which I'm probably safe in assuming, then the install probably came only with DirectX 11 (the exact version varies depending on Win 7, Win 7 SP1 / Win 8, or Win 8.1).  In theory, applications that require a specific version of DirectX to run will include the redistributable during the install.  Some games used to just tell you to go install DirectX though.

Microsoft has a support article for if your application or game requires an earlier version of DirectX.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

It indicates your specific concern, "D3DX10.DLL through D3DX10_43.DLL" is missing.  That should also cover the missing DirectX9 files that will prevent you from forcing DX9 (which may improve performance / stability).

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (what the article linked above will instruct you to do).
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=159853

The download button on that page will pull down dxwebsetup.exe (285kb)
(don't accidentally install the Bing Bar)

If your computer lies to you and claims that no update is necessary, then you'll need to go obtain the end-user runtime redistributable.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Will download directx_Jun2010_redist.exe (95.6mb)

Running the exe will prompt you to extract the files to a temp location, which you'll then run DXSETUP.exe from.

You should then be able to see the file in both:
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
(as well as all the other versions of the DirectX libraries)

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
Thanks! Doing it now.

Offline khazzor

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
I just had this same problem (windows 8.1). Thanks for the fix!