Author Topic: About mechs...  (Read 9464 times)

Offline Chaoswolf

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
Re: About mechs...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:59 AM »
Ok, I like the description, but the part about generating electricity from the engine using an MHD system is incorrect.  You can't make electricity with heat without work. The part about closed loop gas turbines and steam systems can be done, but in order to generate a current, something has to be moving. 

If you want to generate a current with a magnet, you make the magnet move.  So, if the plasma is flowing around a donut shaped generator (I'm assuming this shape otherwise it won't work), the charge in the plasma is also moving.  Then, using the highly sophisticated right hand rule (that's a joke, it's stupidly simple), a magnetic field would spiral around the plasma stream.  If you have conductors, or wire, spiraled around the donut shaped generator, the magnetic field will induce a charge along their length and produce an electric current.

This phenomenon works with a current moving through any wire.  It's how those invisible dog fences work, and also the reason why twisting a dog fence wire back on itself creates a dead spot.  The charge flows move in opposite directions, and therefore so do the spiraling fields, so nothing happens to woofy when he gets near.

MHD appears to work by having fluid conductors, so heat may affect their ability to conduct, making them more or less resistive, but there is no substance that generates electricity endlessly simply by being in the presence of heat.

well im no expert when it comes down to how the engines work, this is just the best thing i can come up with for a basic over veiw of mechs, not to say that i  am EVER accurate, but im damned precise.
ITS 'Mech not Mech... you see that damned thing in front?! USE IT.... 'Mech is shortened from BATTLEMECH.... i hate u all... HA!

Offline TimoBlastem

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
    • Collective Conspiracy
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 06:56:27 AM »
No no, it's very good.  I think whoever wrote that thing was confused about MHD devices.  Admitedly, I looked up "magnetohydrodynamics" because I had no idea what it was, but if ou notice the word "thermo" appears nowhere in it.  But yes, in that application it will generate electricity, but from the magnetism, not the heat...

...And I've hit a new nerdy low.  Sorry to everyone who could care less.   :P

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
Ouzing out with knowledge, could you zip all you got and send it to mmme [just kidding!]

Thumbs up for your knowledge!

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline PanzerBoxb

• Captain Cheese™
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
/casts Turn Undead/Level 20 on Kit

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »
/casts Turn Undead/Level 20 on Kit

[spell deflected by level 36 Necroarts]

sorry Panzer, it dosnt bite on me anymore! good try thou! ;)

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline PanzerBoxb

• Captain Cheese™
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
/reaches for the shotgun with silver 00 buckshot

Offline Masakari

• I wont forgot to brung it next time :downs:
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +35/-1
  • Better safe than sorry.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 08:21:27 PM »
*Flushes fecal matter down toilet and cries as his once beloved child slowly drifts away into a sea of cyclones urine and sewage pipes.*
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:50:09 PM by Masakari »

How i play this is it just for making it or playing and making it

Sherrell's legs...

Offline Chaoswolf

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »
0_o disturbing
ITS 'Mech not Mech... you see that damned thing in front?! USE IT.... 'Mech is shortened from BATTLEMECH.... i hate u all... HA!

Offline overwatch

• Recruit
    • The Living Legends Mercenary Unit
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 04:01:00 AM »
0_o disturbing

Duh. Mas said it.  ;)

“Let the word and the legend go before you. There are those who will carry both.”
The Living Legends

Offline Skeeter14

• Bondsman
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »
I thought I new alot about mechwarrior, I worship you great one of knowlage. ;)
Im big your small, I win you lose

how can war be more simple?

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »
yeah if ever there was a BT mech info award this would probably be the winner

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline Skeeter14

• Bondsman
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »
no doubt, with wat little power probably never invested in me I declare that chaoswolf is the undisputed ummm... smart person when it comes to BT, all in favor post I(dont matter if you use flashy words and such just type it or something)
Im big your small, I win you lose

how can war be more simple?

Offline 7.[WD]Ragor

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +111/-3
  • Maj.7thWolf'sDragoons a.D.
    • 7th. Regiment 'eta' Wolf Dragoons
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »
Playing the card 'Unholy Necromancer'.

Great thread arise from your grave.

I wonder how many people didn't understood the concept of battlemechs when they designed games or wrote novels.
(Talking in general here, not directed to any game or book specific.)

Just take a look at most of the TRO artwork mechs. The leg joints at their 'hips'... nearly always designed as typical servo or pneumatic activated/controlled design. Not the mech skeleton with its muscles. Totally different basic layout. (Just one of dozens of examples...)

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »
the OP would have been much more awe inspiring if he did not copy that all from the CBT technical manual or what not. ;)

Offline 7.[WD]Ragor

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +111/-3
  • Maj.7thWolf'sDragoons a.D.
    • 7th. Regiment 'eta' Wolf Dragoons
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
the OP would have been much more awe inspiring if he did not copy that all from the CBT technical manual or what not. ;)

QFT.

That might be the reason why gamedesigners, authors and artists do not read this kind of stuff. Which is the basic of the stuff they are working on...

("Wall of text?! I won't waste my time reading it. And it's about mechs, I know everything about them since I am da man. No use for me to study which would help me making my work properly.")
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:56:10 PM by 7.[WD]Ragor »