Author Topic: Community Mapping Team: Map ideas  (Read 6687 times)

Offline CGB [Ancient Demise]

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Clan Ghost Bear
Community Mapping Team: Map ideas
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
This thread is for the community to post their map ideas. I should not have to say if you are a mapper you should join us!!

I ask that map ideas be as descriptive as possible without rambling. If you know exactly how you want it to look please draw a layout on paper and upload it. If you just have a concept in your mind a simple paragraph will do. If you have any pictures that describe it, please LINK to them. Embedding a ton of pictures can make posts unnecessarily long.

You may want to think of a theme for the map. For example, (almost) all my maps are meant to challenge the conventional way the game is played by adding another dimension for the players to think about. Zoetermeer is a low visibility symmetrical city with all rooftops being accessible by at least one JJ mech. Nocturnal Valley is an emphasis on night vision and PPCs..... On the other hand TC_Monument is a real life terrain map from google earth. You get the idea.

"Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask 'Why.' Be cautious with 'How.' 'Why' leads inexorably to paradox. 'How' traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite."
---The Apocrypha of Arrakis; Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Offline ShotgunSpiff

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-0
Re: Community Mapping Team: Map ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:30:42 PM »
TC/TSA/SA/AS_GoingCommando
Conversion of MA2 Battle Armor-only map.
Base Layout consists of a costal port with a central island connected by bridges.  Team 1 spawns on a naval ship, Team 2 on land.
Alternate Layout 1 has the map mirrored and connected by the central island.  Teams spawn on opposite ends.
Alternate Layout 2 has the map mirrored again, but each side set farther apart.  A naval ship in the center can serve a a TC cap point.

TC/TSA/SA_RiverCity
Conversion of MA2 map.
Base Layout consists of the map flip-mirrored.  2 urban areas on opposite sides provide plenty of building cover, but the central area is wide open.  Teams spawn on opposite corners.

SA_BumperTanks
A simple, open Solaris Arena map where you can only buy Harassers.  Suggested play area 700m.

TSA_PoolDay
Battle Armor-only conversion of Counter-Strike map Pool Day.
'Nuff said

Various Maps that have simple layouts and/or texture usage like gg_cell_arena

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:37:35 AM »
I love SA jungle

And i see Palace gates was in the works

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechwarrior-living-legends/videos/palace-gates-flythrough

Milage will vary, but i love the idea of redoing some of the old MW4 Mercs maps like Factory etc

Perhaps an old stomping grounds map pack
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:52:05 AM »
I'd love to see a map of any kind use the same sort of environment as Outpost. There was a bunch of complaints about how campy it was, etc. I love the feeling that I'm out in space, and the overhead scenery was amazing.

I'm not one for being creative, or mapping, but add that scenery into something, it's beautiful.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
TC/TSA/SA/AS_GoingCommando
Conversion of MA2 Battle Armor-only map.
Base Layout consists of a costal port with a central island connected by bridges.  Team 1 spawns on a naval ship, Team 2 on land.
Alternate Layout 1 has the map mirrored and connected by the central island.  Teams spawn on opposite ends.
Alternate Layout 2 has the map mirrored again, but each side set farther apart.  A naval ship in the center can serve a a TC cap point.

Various Maps that have simple layouts and/or texture usage like gg_cell_arena

Cool beans, Spiff, I wa just mulling over ideas that would favor BA, was a fan of that industrial map that could be run as BA only.  My idea won't be BA exclusive, but the plan is to make it the wise choice for most. 

I like simple maps too, but I think one of the missing aspects of this mod is the lack of good, fun, but intermediate-difficult maps that challenge every aspect of piloting and gunnery, without being too frustrating.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:23:38 AM »
I'd love to see a map of any kind use the same sort of environment as Outpost. There was a bunch of complaints about how campy it was, etc. I love the feeling that I'm out in space, and the overhead scenery was amazing.

I'm not one for being creative, or mapping, but add that scenery into something, it's beautiful.
With all last changes the map is played on another. ^ )

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16027.msg281423.html#msg281423

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »
My map requests:

TC_Urban Jungle
I know Salvatores hasn't been here in forever and noone has the .cry file, but the map is super popular and everyone is clambering for some kind of good urban map. Surely he can't be that hard to get ahold of and see if he still has & will pass on the file?

TC_StarLeagueCache
The quality is really great, and has a lot of variety to it. Very underated and infrequently played when it came it, then it disappeared under all the weight of Huntress's sand[blasted].

Offline Adamar

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Still trying to work out how much those 3mins cost
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »
TC_Urban Jungle
I know Salvatores hasn't been here in forever and noone has the .cry file, but the map is super popular and everyone is clambering for some kind of good urban map. Surely he can't be that hard to get ahold of and see if he still has & will pass on the file?

Isn't this already a thing? I certainly recall playing on an urban TC map (in a recent version).

Offline CGB [Ancient Demise]

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Clan Ghost Bear
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
TC_Urban Jungle

Isn't this already a thing? I certainly recall playing on an urban TC map (in a recent version).

You are right, no one has the .cry file. But that means NO ONE. I think not even Salvatores has it anymore (lost through corruption or something else unfortunate).  :'(
The latest official version of the map released by Sal was indeed TC.
If I recall, someone was able to rework the existing files to make minor changes without the cry file, likely in the same way Finalizer redid Inferno.

I think the main complaint on starleaguecache was that it was kinda always unbalanced for one side. Can't really remember though.

I would love to get a hold of the cry file for TSA_Ocean (think very old) and redo that one.

"Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask 'Why.' Be cautious with 'How.' 'Why' leads inexorably to paradox. 'How' traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite."
---The Apocrypha of Arrakis; Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Offline Tornado92

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-9
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
Those minor changes were just related to the .xml. Nothing really changed on the map itself.

StarLeagueCache is a neat map, but can cause connection failures for some players ( Failed ReconfigureObject 1 )

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »
I remember watching a video of Urban Jungle when I had first heard about the mod. I don't want to contemplate how much work went into that map, and thus, to recreate it. Shame.

Offline ShotgunSpiff

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »
TC_CourtyardClash
Conversion of MA2 SP map Skin the Cat.
Base Layout consists of the map flip-mirrored, connected by an open courtyard area set within deep canyon terrain that heavily limits movement beyond the urban zones.  Teams spawn on opposite north/south ends.
Alternate Layout 1 adds mirrored sections, doubling play area.
An alternate environment would move the map to a tropical setting like TC_RingofFire.  Rather than canyon terrain, the map would be set on an island chain with less restricted movement overall.

TC_MountainRoad/MountainTrail
Conversion of MW4:Mercs maps.
Base Layout consists of a winding road in the mountains.  Cap points would be lined along the route, with maybe a couple off the main path.  Teams spawn on opposite ends of the route.
Setting A is on Halloran V.
Setting B is on Hesperus II.

A BA-only TSA map based on aim_ag_texture_arena

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
A BA-only TSA map based on aim_ag_texture_arena

^
I want to see an Osiris/Solitare-only map like this too. We also need a map with dynamic terrain, like what Finalizer talked about. I sent a pretty long message to Linkin a while back when he was making maps for the devs, that detailed an industrial setting... but I never got a response  :(

Anyway, to make it brief, the focus of the map was 3 huge, slightly alternating, industrial elevators (think those elevator boss fights or what naught from games like Streets of Rage), 2 main bases at the bottom, and 2 main bases at the top. And 3 bases on the left wall of the elevator, 2 on the right side. All bases capturable. Platforms would jut out from the incline the elevator is climbing to add some variance to the battlefield and momentary protection as the lift ascends or descends. There was more to it, but I can't remember...  :-\

Anyway, just an early morning pipedream lol

Offline ShotgunSpiff

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
For an Osiris/Solitare-only map, I'd suggest TC_Rats based on one of the many de_rats CS maps.

Also, various Lego-themed maps.

Offline ShotgunSpiff

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
Another BA-only map based on aim_gg_texture_complex.
Side shot
Top view

Minecraft-themed maps.  You know you want them.  Convert say, TC_RingofFire, to Minecraft-style while adding a few outer islands as cap points.

TSA/SA_DemoDerby (maybe even TC)
Chevalier-only map with dirt terrain similar to SA_Jungle.

I don't remember but, wasn't there talk of some aerospace-only space map based in Extremity's environment?