Author Topic: Message from the Founders  (Read 45627 times)

Offline Mattk50

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
Re: Message from the Founders
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »
I'll choose to see this post for what it really is. I dont know your motives for making it, maybe your arm was twisted further, maybe you see some remorse over leaving the project early on, it doesnt matter. The fact is, we have proof of exactly what you said didn't happen, and as such there is no stock to be held in what you have to say, whatever your PR muscles want to tell us to.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »
All in all, MWLL has been a very strange animal.

I personally believe that MWO chose Cryengine3 because they had seen that it was possible to do walking mechs in multiplayers on Cryengine2. I think this because I believe there are better engines out there for what an online mechwarrior needs but trying to reinvent the wheel might have been too tall an order for what MWO was trying to do with what resources they had.

I to this day have not tried MWO because I believe MWLL is a better product. This is only because MWLL has had 5-6 years to work on their project but MWO's development life is better measured in months.
Eventually MWO will be as good or better than MWLL (any true fan should hope for this tbh), even though I prefer the art style of MWLL.

For those of you that talk of CS I think that's a completely different situation as CS was not at all similar to halflife or halflife 2 and was thus not competition, but an asset for valve to exploit.
MWLL pretty much IS competition to MWO even if its only a couple nerds/neckbeards that get pulled away to it, that's potential revenue to help MWO keep afloat during the early production cycle.
I to this day consider CS a mod, I stopped considering MWLL a mod a couple years ago when I realized it began to equal and surpass the content and quality of many AAA games, that NEVER happens to mods, like ever.

Yes I am sad because talented people had a good thing going, but hopefully the industry is smart enough to realize (like it did with the older gen of MWLL devs) that they are talented enough to be leaders in whatever developer team they would wish, if they chose to do so. (I can think of a few Eastern Europeaners who should get a free golden ticket into the industry if they want it at this point.)

When others point out that the game isn't dead until you stop playing it, this is heartily true. I was brought on the team to rebalance the game in the last few months and it was an asston of work, I would be very sad if everyone stopped playing just because development had stopped.

The only real fault I find with the whole affair is that it is an epic COMMMMBOOOO BREAKKKEERRRR, otherwise, it might be a good thing for the more talented among the devs to be free from MWLL for awhile to go do greater things. As for me, hell I was just brought on because of my neckbeard status when it came to the MWLL planetary league (which I'm planning to rework soon) and the fact I had been a fanboy since release day. I've been looking forward to actually playing again and treating MWLL like a game.. and less like a parttime job. :X

Defender showed us a couple ancient pre-alpha test videos the other night and it made very clear how astronomically far this mod/game has come from conception, hard to believe this literally started out from Crysis, that little game I ran through with bad FPS all those years ago.

TONS of people who have worked on this mod have gone away, so I thank them for their hard work to give me the chance to stumble my way through the XML/LUA/C code and try and make the MWLL game I always dreamed of (which was doable because it was never far from what was reality).

So, I'm off to actually play this game again... sheesh its been months...
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar, 331st Feral Fangs
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
Just please let them bug fix the big stuff (like thanatos not appearing etc) before shutting it down completely.

/Merf - ...

Offline Shani

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »
MWLL always felt like a game from another era. From the golden age of PC games, where retail FPS games had thousands of mods of all kinds being worked on, many of which grew into large communities and spawned their own retail iterations. Where modders took their ideas and inspirations and forged an experience far better than anything you could buy.

I have always been incredibly impressed by what you guys accomplished on an FPS engine. The most technically impressive mod I've ever played. Seeing the doors close after 6 years is really sad, and for me marks the end of that age of PC game mods.

Just a heartfelt thanks to the devs for reviving the Mechwarrior universe. For me there simply IS no other Mechwarrior game, nothing else does the universe justice.

Offline =CJW= Zweistein000 (W)

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +222/-72
  • Trial of position ended; Rank: Warrior
    • Urbie Defense By (TLL)CapperDeluxe
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
Might I recommend you guys at least release the source code to Haarp, so we can get the mechlab. He's been working on a way to make mechlab work for this mod anyway. And for the love of god unban him. He still has the power to make an impact to this mod. Unless that will get us the CnD order. then you probably shouldn't do that.
Vote Bill for multidimentional sex warlock 2013.

Quote from: Bin Fish link=http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/profile.php?10,12
Don't sniff anything Bill gives you and never find yourself alone with HAARP

Offline Boost

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
blah blah i think the community deserves to know the truth.

Some developers, including KINGLEER, have put HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of hours into this project.  With all this effort we put in for a free game and you want to know every detail from every developer about the end of our development cycle? Give a little more respect.

In no way did I mean any disrespect and I'm sorry that my post was interpreted in such a manner. Believe me, I know exactly how much time and energy was put into making this mod (I have worked on other projects myself with modeling and programming) and I think that is the main reason why so many members of the community are up in arms about the entire situation.

I'll say it again, thank you to everyone that was involved in making this mod and keeping the MechWarrior franchise alive.

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »
Might I recommend you guys at least release the source code to Haarp, so we can get the mechlab. He's been working on a way to make mechlab work for this mod anyway. And for the love of god unban him. He still has the power to make an impact to this mod. Unless that will get us the CnD order. then you probably shouldn't do that.

Thanks for that Zwei, I needed a good laugh!!
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »
There really is no one to "blame" though in a "THEY DID THIS, THEY PULLED THE PLUG" kind of way

We made a mod on a pre-existing IP that at the time wasn't being used, and we did it through legal channels.

Fast forward to the current day, and the IP is now being used. Not only that, but the users of the IP are using the engine/technology that the founders of this project (Kami+Crim) now work for. Seeing as both of the mod founders work for Crytek on Cryengine 3, and PGI (who's using the IP in a higher up position) is using Cryengine 3, this creates an awkward situation where they basically had a mod project that competing with a commercial project using the same engine, and you work at the company that is letting this happen.

well said.

This is good enough for me in terms of "what happened" and is what I figured after putting more information together.  Well written and a confirmation from one of the founders.

With that piece out of the way I'll join with the rest saying that the GAME and it's longevity will be solely dependent on the community now. Game on folks!

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
MWLL always felt like a game from another era. From the golden age of PC games,

Probably the truest statement about MWLL I have ever read.

Offline KorJax

• Level Design (Reader of Stickies)
  • MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-2
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »
There really is no one to "blame" though in a "THEY DID THIS, THEY PULLED THE PLUG" kind of way

You know, what I wanted to hear was the IP holder picked the mod and the dev team up à la Counter Strike and MWLL 1.0 was going to be found at my local game store, Soon™. I guess not everyone has Valve's business sense.

As neat as that would have been, it is doubtful if it would be commercial viable, and popular with the fans of MW at large (some people still think MW should only be mechs and nothing else). Also a good chunk of the major devs that have worked on this project over the years now work for Crytek, PGI, or some other company. It's not like counter strike where it was pretty much made by a close knit group of friends exclusively, so the project being bought up is as simple as hiring that group of people. It's a project that was largely made by a great many number of volunteers, by a handful of active devs during the whole cycle of the project, etc. All of the people contributed lived just about everywhere on the planet, and most had their own jobs/careers already. Buying up a game like MWLL isn't as simple as it would have been for CS, where it was a mod made by pretty much the same small group of people, that all knew each other in real life (as far as I am aware that is).

Also, CS was an original IP while the mechwarrior IP is owned by someone else.

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »
MWLL always felt like a game from another era. From the golden age of PC games,

Probably the truest statement about MWLL I have ever read.

quoted for truth indeed.

I hope crytek keeps this mod's poster in a big glass case in their front office. This mod represents what is truly possible with their products, and they should be proud as hell of the devs for what they achieved.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »
That being said, there is this thing called a Non-Disclosure Agreement.  That means there are things that we cannot disclose.  Ever.  It's not a cover up, or a "different story".  It's part of life in this industry.  Please respect that.

That doesn't make me happy. NDAs that say "we will do bad things to you and you won't say anything" I simply wouldn't sign. Yeah I know you guys came to an agreement before, but the agreement was apparently broken by PGI or PGI and Wandering Samurai for this to happen. Why sign a new NDA after that?

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
Why sign a new NDA after that?

*cough* probably NDA signed in a three way contract between WS, PGI and Crytek *cough*

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
Sad news but not entirely unexpected :( The scope and possibilities for this mod were huge and could have rolled all over most modern commercial titles.

I can only hope it keeps being played and stands as an example of what heights simulations of the Battletech Universe can reach - perhaps in the future we will see its like again.

Thanks and gratitude to everyone who contributed to any aspect of the mod, as well as every last person whos assisted or killed me in game ;) and every set of mech legs I have brained myself on 10 seconds after spawning  ;D

Right, I'm off to get a game in..

Offline Nemo

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-1
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »

You know, what I wanted to hear was the IP holder picked the mod and the dev team up à la Counter Strike and MWLL 1.0 was going to be found at my local game store, Soon™. I guess not everyone has Valve's business sense.

As neat as that would have been, it is doubtful if it would be commercial viable, and popular with the fans of MW at large (some people still think MW should only be mechs and nothing else). Also a good chunk of the major devs that have worked on this project over the years now work for Crytek, PGI, or some other company. It's not like counter strike where it was pretty much made by a close knit group of friends exclusively, so the project being bought up is as simple as hiring that group of people. It's a project that was largely made by a great many number of volunteers, by a handful of active devs during the whole cycle of the project, etc. All of the people contributed lived just about everywhere on the planet, and most had their own jobs/careers already. Buying up a game like MWLL isn't as simple as it would have been for CS, where it was a mod made by pretty much the same small group of people, that all knew each other in real life (as far as I am aware that is).

Also, CS was an original IP while the mechwarrior IP is owned by someone else.

Oh believe me, I know its implausible. But its what I wanted nonetheless. Beats the alternative (truth).