Author Topic: 10 FPS choppy in mid battle - Low settings - Good computer  (Read 6247 times)

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
Re: 10 FPS choppy in mid battle - Low settings - Good computer
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »
A vram saving would be most appreciated..

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 12:29:53 AM »
I used to have a good enough frame rate in 0.6.1 on my laptop that I could actually play the game, that said, it is a pretty bad laptop for the game.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3 ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
4gb DDR2 Ram

Everyone on TS is like: "Kentax your hardware sucks" but I say, I say, I say: "It worked before!"

Wow that's a pretty old GPU.  Modern AMD A series APUs (CPU and GPU in one unit) outrun it nowadays.  If you can find something like the HP dv6z with a 6750 in it on sale, it'll be almost twice as fast and it will still struggle to get better than 20fps in most games at 1366x768 lowest settings.  The GT650M in modern multi-media non gaming laptops is 3.8 times faster.  If you have a desktop you can throw a video card in an old GTX460SE which can be had used for < $100 will be 5 times as fast or so.  A $60 desktop video card will be about 3 times as fast as a 3650. 

Not trying to be a negative nelly, just pointing out that that's a REALLY old and slow GPU by today's standards and you can get much faster pretty cheap nowadays.  Heck I probably have a $40 desktop video card sitting in a box somewhere if you want it.

Offline Ch3m1kal

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +59/-2
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 02:26:13 AM »
This is odd, i'm finding that the game actually runs slightly better for me since the patch. True, my gaming rig is fairly decent but the overall frame rate seems to be a bit more stable and i get less dips when the action ramps up.

If it was working well before i'm going to guess it's some particular change that's making it run worse with certain hardware, the hud maybe? I guess you could try cl_hud 0 and see if it's any better.
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-1
    • 12th Vegan Rangers Forum
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 04:22:56 AM »
I used to have a good enough frame rate in 0.6.1 on my laptop that I could actually play the game, that said, it is a pretty bad laptop for the game.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3 ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
4gb DDR2 Ram

Everyone on TS is like: "Kentax your hardware sucks" but I say, I say, I say: "It worked before!"

Wow that's a pretty old GPU.  Modern AMD A series APUs (CPU and GPU in one unit) outrun it nowadays.  If you can find something like the HP dv6z with a 6750 in it on sale, it'll be almost twice as fast and it will still struggle to get better than 20fps in most games at 1366x768 lowest settings.  The GT650M in modern multi-media non gaming laptops is 3.8 times faster.  If you have a desktop you can throw a video card in an old GTX460SE which can be had used for < $100 will be 5 times as fast or so.  A $60 desktop video card will be about 3 times as fast as a 3650. 

Not trying to be a negative nelly, just pointing out that that's a REALLY old and slow GPU by today's standards and you can get much faster pretty cheap nowadays.  Heck I probably have a $40 desktop video card sitting in a box somewhere if you want it.

I'm not buying new hardware. Period.

My laptop worked well enough on 0.6.1 so this isn't an issue with my laptop, it's an issue with the mod.

My desktop is an FX-6100 overclocked to 3.9ghz with 8gb of DDR3 and an Nvidia GTX 460 (1gb model). My FPS was murdered on that computer too. Barely playable.

I tried CCC on my laptop and while it did make the game look prettier there is basically nowhere for my game to go since all of the settings were already on lowest. It didn't hurt my FPS, which is good, but it didn't help. I expect that it will help on my desktop since it's on ultra right now.

Member of the 12th Vegan Rangers
http://twelfthvr.freeforums.org/index.php

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 04:35:12 AM »
Have you tried clearing your shaders?

You could also try reinstalling MWLL from full, instead of updating.

Just throwin out ideas that may help..

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 04:52:36 AM »
Yeah I got a 460 desktop and it's quite playable.  core i5 2400 so not really any faster than your CPU so I'm not sure what's going on.  The lowest average framerate on my desktop is in the 25 to 30 range on Ivory Towers.

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 05:26:50 AM »
I haven't tried a total re-installation, but yeah, I did try clearing my shaders.

See who is playing MWLL right now, without having to start the game: http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 05:53:32 AM »
Yeah was just on palisades and marshes and fps was in the 45 to 55 range all through it.  Any chance your CPU or GPU are throttling?  I'd use some monitoring tools to see if they are.

Offline Warlord Kentax

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 06:04:42 AM »
My CPU on my PC, which is overclocked, is the bottleneck for most games as I will see it near 100% on a couple of its cores. Tried offloading the physics to one of the lesser used cores, didn't help. Occasionally my GPU usage will spike to 100% (it's overclocked too), but whenever it hits 100% the FPS is good and the CPU usage lowers.

FX processors are garbage, don't get them. Go with intel if you want something new, AMD is increasingly behind in hardware advancements, likely due to intel's virtual monopoly.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
This happens to some fraction of the playerbase with every update. I'm not sure anyone has figured it out.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline :(

• Alphatester
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-14
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »
back in 3.2 I had an athlon 64 and a REALLY old system which somehow churned out 15 or so fps.  Each patch introduced more content and forced me to upgrade my system.  With that said, there were problems getting this patch out so a lot of ghogiel and vlaad's labor intensive optimizations weren't put in...

still, your fps seems low for the system you have.  run 3dmark and see if you have results that are appropriate for your system, then start diagnosing mwll. 
The Left Radar boob is your best friend

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 11:13:15 PM »
Well for comparison, my son's laptop has a core i3-3110M CPU which rates about the same for single thread performance as your fx-6100 desktop CPU, and he's getting decent framerates, 25 to 35 fps on slower maps like ivory towers, 40 to 50 on faster maps.  Something has to be wrong with your machine or OS or drivers or something, that's just awful desktop performance. 

Offline Cindercat

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-1
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 04:36:12 AM »
My ancient E8600 overclocked to 4.20 GHz works fine so there must be a software related issue or malfunction with your hardware.

Offline Maarvy

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »
Game runs like crap for me also

Intel i5 2500 , 8 gig of memory , NVidia 580 gtx .

I played the game on a earlier version with a much slower machine with much better results .

Offline BuRNeR

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
My phenom 1090T @ 3.700 mhz runs very fine with mwll, so its wrong to call a 3500+mhz and 4+ cores cpu. But enough ram (i got 16gb) and a fast videocard with big vram is the most important for good performance.
I got an AMD 7970 ghz edition with 1175mhz/1518 (gpu/vram) and 3gb vram. mwll comes often over 2gb use of vram at 1920x1080 and max. settings.
At this resolution is offen the vram the bottleneck.

"If you want to face us, fine. But we will not hold back. Prepare to reap the whirlwind." Sarah McEvedy 8th October 2823