Author Topic: Too many players cause my connection to fail  (Read 7906 times)

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
Re: Too many players cause my connection to fail
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »
I see. Well my point is, the culprit might still be the Cable Modem. But it depends how your Wireless Router is connected to the Internet now: does the Cable Modem act as a gateway or a bridge?

But I think nothing is lost if you try DD-WRT first ;).

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
Once you have a dd-wrt or tomato based router, you want to put your modem into bridge mode so all it does is shovel packets back and forth with no intervention, then use your router to login via pppoe (most common method) to your ISP and do ALL the work.

Easiest routers to put dd-wrt on are the netgear wnr 3500L which allows you to just upload the firmware via the web interface.  Newegg has them refurbbed for $45.

Instructions for installing dd-wrt on 3500L: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR3500L

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
Good to hear the netgear 3500L is an easy one to go dd-wrt on cause that's the one I just got from amazon.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 02:35:17 AM »
No joy.  Flashed to DD-WRT and even giving extreme priority to Funbocks' IP Address and disabling all security still results in connection problems the moment Funbocks hits 21 players.  Red X to connection timeout, door bays not opening after unit built, etc.

This wasn't an issue prior to 0.6.0 being released, could play with 28 people no problem. 

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »
Fired an array of 4 Machine Guns today on Funbocks Alpha, TC_Thunder_Rift with 19 players connected and connection went all to hell.

Wireshark reported a constant stream of
(my machine) (funbocks IP address) ICMP 590 (bytes) Time-to-live exceeded (Fragment reassembly time exceeded)

Even after alt F4'ing out of the game, the Fragment reassembly time exceeded errors continued for another 58 seconds.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 03:42:06 AM »
How is your DD-WRT router connected to the internet now? Does it get a dynamic IP from the cable modem? Or does it connect directly to the internet via PPTP/PPPoE etc. via the modem?

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 04:14:23 AM »
Was set on :
Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Cablemodem is SURFboard SB6121 has no router built in, so is strictly bridge mode.

Changed it to connection type PPPoE is seeming to help somewhat, will test more to confirm.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 04:20:24 AM »
Well, let me get to 26 people before crapping out, rather than 21 people.  So I guess that's a bit of an improvement.

Does anybody know why MWLL packet sizes are 1514, thus guaranteeing fragmentation, rather than 1500?

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »
Well, let me get to 26 people before crapping out, rather than 21 people.  So I guess that's a bit of an improvement.

Does anybody know why MWLL packet sizes are 1514, thus guaranteeing fragmentation, rather than 1500?

So how's your connection otherwise?  Speettest sites etc?  You might want to look at the live network throughput graphs and see how much of the max bandwidth you're using.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
Speedtest.net pulls 25.5gb down, 5.5 up. Monitoring the bandwidth usage during a network timeout with Funbocks typically has it at no higher than 450kbs when it quits, usually it's 300 or less.

MWLL is absolutely the only time I have internet issues. With wireshark going, I can watch a steady stream of 1514 byte packets flowing to the Funbocks server. From 12-19 people on I'll very occasionally see a TTL exceeded. Once it hits 20 or higher I start seeing chunks of 3-5 TTL exceeded failures.

Once their, it's typically just a matter of waiting. Firing any ballistics weapon or flamers helps trigger the event, but it can happen while standing still in base hangar doing nothing.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 04:44:21 PM »
Was set on :
Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Cablemodem is SURFboard SB6121 has no router built in, so is strictly bridge mode.

Changed it to connection type PPPoE is seeming to help somewhat, will test more to confirm.

Hm, what exactly did you change to PPPoE? Did you configure your Router to connect to the Internet via the Cable Modem through PPPoE now?

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
Setup > Basic Setup
WAN Connection Type

The first field is "Connection Type" and was on "Automatic Configuration - DHCP", I tried changing it to "PPPoE" and it opened a user name and password field, but leaving those blank and hitting apply still worked for establishing a connection to the internet. 

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 01:47:59 AM »
Make sure you've set your modem to bridge mode or you'll be doing a pppoe over another pppoe instead of just the one from your router. So:

Computer (DHCP) -> Router (PPPoE) -> Modem (Bridge mode) -> ISP

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 02:20:36 AM »
Make sure you've set your modem to bridge mode or you'll be doing a pppoe over another pppoe instead of just the one from your router. So:

Computer (DHCP) -> Router (PPPoE) -> Modem (Bridge mode) -> ISP
Thanks for the double-check, my cable modem has no built in router so is always in bridge mode.  Good advice for anybody else gleaning tips here.

Offline Silvercraft

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »
I was finally able to get a new router and now things look much better.  First time ever I played with 16 people without any real problems.  A few times that horrible disconnection symbol still flashed for a second or two but no permanent disconnection this time. 16 players is way more fun than 12. Can't wait to test with 20+ players...

Note to self: no more 2-in-1 devices.