Author Topic: Too many players cause my connection to fail  (Read 7905 times)

Offline Silvercraft

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
Too many players cause my connection to fail
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »
My problem is that when ever there are more than 12 or so players my connection dies. Sometimes the game just crashes but most of the time my network connection is also cut and I must reboot my PC. I have tried another router and shutting down my firewall but nothing helps.

This means that I never get to play a whole match with lots of players and can't enjoy all aspects of this great mod. Playing with 10 or so people is ok but just for once it would be nice to take part in a larger battle.

All ideas and suggestions about this problem are appreciated.

Also here are the closest similar topics I could find:
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16809.0.html
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,17945.0.html

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
Re: Too many players cause my connection to fail
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
What internet do you use Cable, DSL, Satellite, Dial-up?
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline Silvercraft

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »
I have cable connection and if I remember correctly it is rated 24/3 (MB). I do not use any type of wi-fi.

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
Try for a start it -  NetLimiter 3  or program similar to these...  http://www.netlimiter.com/   -  to disable all superfluous in this program.

If there are improvements - to go in it the direction.

It helped me.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:29:34 PM by RDL_Vitos »

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:23:46 AM »
I have cable connection and if I remember correctly it is rated 24/3 (MB). I do not use any type of wi-fi.
The thing about Cable internet is your sharing a line with other people so if you  are playing while others on teh same line are on you have less bandwidth.  keep that in mind. but ohter than that i have no idea.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »
Silvercraft, there are some serious issues going on somewhere :). First of all...

Sometimes the game just crashes

It's very unusual that your game would actually crash due to network troubles.

but most of the time my network connection is also cut and I must reboot my PC.

And that is also very unusual and requires a bit of investigation. These would be my thoughts:

• The high frequency of big UDP packets that Crysis or MWLL in particular sends/receives can be very troublesome for some network setups (Router-Modems in particular). If a device has problems with that, the effects can be different from device to device. It could be that the UDP packets simply get lost on your router, often deliberately (which in turn can cause all sorts of weird issues in the game, or in the simplest case, disconnects). It could also be that the high processing load will cause some kind of lock-up and crash the router in some form.
  • The latter could cause something like you describe, your complete internet connection being lost. However, you say that it is fine after a reboot, indicating that it's more an issue of your actual computer, not the router itself. But may be you only think it is, because the router itself might also be rebooted, once your PC has rebooted ;)
So the first thing you should observe is: whenever it happens again, don't reboot your PC, but look at what your Router/Modem does. Also describe in more detail how you are connected to the internet. i.e. your exact Router model and/or your exact Modem model and anything else on your network.

The issue is probably not related to network speed. But in order to sort of confirm your speeds, simply post your speedtest.net results here.

Offline Silvercraft

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:11 PM »
Thank you all for your ideas, suggestions and questions. I'll try to answer them next...

First one was NetLimeiter3 program which I downloaded and tried but failed to see how it could really help in this situation. That program does show network traffic and can restrict it if needed but it can't stop CrysisWars/MWLL from crashing or killing my connection.

Secondly my internet cable connection was questioned. Yes I have shared connection (but that is not always true since cable is also available for single users or at least here it is). Speedtest showed 16 and 1.7 so it is only 2/3 of promised  but still better than average.

Finally we are getting into something a little more interesting. This game can crash in so many different ways but I only get upset when it also kills my internet conection at the same time. First indication of a real problem is always that dreaded 'connection lost' symbol. When it appears I can wait until the game crashes or I can try hitting esc and see the server listings screen freeze and then crash (or if I'm very lucky game stays on but connection is timed out). In any case my network connection is lost and I can't even ping my router! Your comments about modem-routers hit me: I do have a modem-router TW-EA510. It does not give away its secrets easily since after game crash all lights are still on like nothing happened. I even tried to reboot it separately but that did nothing to help this situation.

I'm almost ready to call my equipment cursed and give up but I still hope this is only a hardware problem yet to be located...

Offline Marlin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-15
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
I have the same problem. Few crashes sometimes with report, sometimes without, but more often the line freezes. The Modem then needs some minutes to get back online and then I have a connection again.

I have a Modem and a Router, though. The line is 16000 (but rarely is this speed reached. Its always being told as an "up to" speed.) Anyway, it should be enough. I just wonder if the modem is up to such speeds. Its a FritzBox  Fon WLan, came with the provider's contract. I guess there are more modern things out there. But still.
Watch "Save the Supers" you will get some laughs in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvc6E-Wjbo

Should I ever be listed at the top of my team, then we have a serious problem.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 03:15:22 AM »
Re: NetLimiter Pro

Set it to block everything in the fields 'unrelated' & 'uTorrent'.

If your issue is anything like mine, I regularly receive huge transfer requests from the server I'm playing on.  This particularly occurs when there are more people on, and when in an asset that's travelling faster (especially aero).

Turning this function on basically fixes the problem.  I've no idea why the server is sending a request to occupy 400gb of bandwidth for a tiny period of time, but that setting blocks it from making it to me.  Without the block in place, monitoring the traffic from the server shows that 100% of the time when I get red X'd with no recovery, it's during one of these massive bandwidth requests from the server.  Not every one of those requests results in a disconnect, but when a network disconnect occurs there's always one of these requests present.

Unfortunately, this program isn't free and my 30d trial expired, it costs $29.95.  So my connection problems came back.

I've since obtained a new computer that plays the game with ease, but the net burst activity still regularly kills my game.  I haven't re-used my new trial period (clean registry and all) as I'm waiting to see if there's any improvement from the next patch.  Also I need to get around to getting a new router to see if it can handle what amounts to a denial-of-service attack from the crysis.exe server.

The network traffic problem has really resulted in me playing a lot less MWLL, which makes me sad.  I fly aero a lot, which just exacerbates the problem.  I periodically go to play the game again, but usually within 30-45 mins it get red X'd off the server, even at 70ms ping.  Then I go find something else to do because I'm frustrated.

Offline Marlin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-15
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
I hear you, Mala, thank for the input. I just think for 30 bucks one could get a new Modem/Router. We would need to gather some information from people who have newer Modems if that happens to them anymore, esp. if they had it with an older device.
Watch "Save the Supers" you will get some laughs in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvc6E-Wjbo

Should I ever be listed at the top of my team, then we have a serious problem.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
I had an ADB P.RG AV4202N Router-Modem and a Zyxel P-2602HW Router-Modem from my ISP, both in Router mode. Those two models dropped UDP packets with increasing player numbers in MWLL and the problem got more severe with 0.6 where the number of UDP packets increased. I also experienced problems in other games. I couldn't even properly use the server browser many times.

In order to persuade my ISP to fix the problem, I made extensive UDP packet transmission tests, on two different internet connection (mine and another one where the problem does not exist). In the end, I ended up getting a public IP from my ISP and using the Router (the ADB one) only as a Gateway for my own Router behind it. (In Gateway mode the device simply passes through everything without any additional processing, i.e. without any routing, firewalling or network address translation etc. And more importantly, without any loss of UDP packets.)

See also http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16809.msg324082.html#msg324082 , http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/read.php?8,805,1409#msg-1409

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »
Best move you can make with an internet connection is setting the modem to bridge mode and buy a decent router to do all the real work etc.  dd-wrt, tomato, and the stock firmware of most halfway decent wireless routers can do this fine.  Linksys, Buffalo, Netgear, etc. 

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 04:29:25 AM »
Netlimiter 3 is no linger providing sufficient denial of unrelated packets to prevent disconnects.

I picked up a new router with more capabilities than my old one, and in the log files during playtime I'm receiving warnings of a DDOS Storm attack originating from my machine against the router.  The router has the option to turnoff portscan / ddos protection, though its not recommended.

I'm going to fiddle more with the various settings available, if that doesn't work then the next step is to flash to some sort of dd-wrt build to gain even more control.

For me, at least, game performance has decreased steadily with every patch since 0.6.0 due to packet related problems. Even on same continent servers with under 80 ms ping I'll regularly get connection failures once player count exceeds 20. Avoiding high unit brawls helps, as does avoiding using aero, which leads me to believe its a problem related to volume of information being transmitted. Unfortunately, I don't think this is an issue the mall team will even have a chance to try to address.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »
if that doesn't work then the next step is to flash to some sort of dd-wrt build to gain even more control.

If that is possible on your router, my recommendation is to do that right away.

Although: is your Router directly connected to the Internet or still behind another Router or Modem from your ISP?

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
Yeah I the router supports dd-wrt, made sure of that before buying. I just haven't done it before so have a bunch of reading to do before feeling confident about it.

My connection is:
Internet > cable modem > wireless router > hard line to my computer.

Not there to get exact model right now, but it's a pretty common Motorola cable modem.