Author Topic: Community Map Developer Review  (Read 2104 times)

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
Community Map Developer Review
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »
Are you a community mapper?
Looking for some developer insight?
Ideas?
Just criticism?
Well post your maps here!

In an effort to outreach to the growing community of independent mappers I'm lending my support to those that wish
to utilize it.  Simply make a post in this thread with a video, download link, or pictures/ideas.
If you include a link with the actual level file and .cry file I can look at it in sandbox as well.
I'll be the primary person doing this so it may take me some time to respond to requests if we get a lot of them, though other developers
are more then welcome to chime in as well.

Asset Requests - Got ideas for a map asset (building, etc)?  Let me know and I may build it and include it in a later release build!
Keep in mind that I'm quite busy as is, and any asset will likely not be AAA+ quality, but should be "good enoughtm" to use.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:59:02 AM by death_grin »

+Level Designer!

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Re: Community Map Developer Review
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
Cool. I'm sort of in a lull right now but I plan on taking you up on this offer!
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
Asset Request: Need more skyscraper-type buildings. Also, need a few more Mechwarrior Themed buildings, i.e. Mech Gantry, static place-able support trucks and whatnot, perhaps something along the lines of either a coolant truck or a Leopard Class Dropship, wouldn't need to be detailed inside, or maybe it could. Up to you.

Someone else pitched the idea of the Dropship, something pieced together from the Opening Doors outside the single hanger mech bay in SA mode, that would open when you got close to them, something for a planetary drop or something of that nature.
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-4
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
Request: need more "in" and "out" ports for Capture zone in FG editor. As well as ability to activate/deactivate capture point, blow stuff up on capture, and other interaction. I still want to re-create the good-old "Assault" gametype from Unreal Tournament series.

Also, please check whether the different ticket values for IS and Clans on the same capture point actually works? As far as I know, the do not.

Asset request: properly working dropship base, that is not suffering from "Fall through" problem.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
If you wouldn't mind chiming in on my TC_Thermocline Thread to give me feedback as you can manage from screenies and concept I would appreciate it!
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:47:54 PM »
coolant truck
I vote for this as well!

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »
As far as environmental asset requests.  A simple futuristic transportation system like monorail and rail set would be really awesome to have. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to add something of that nature to a map.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
Cluster a bunch of tornadoes in the middle and call it Twister. It should be random at which extremity of the map you're gonna end. :P

There's a strong possibility that's not gonna work though. :-\
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:00 AM »
Community mappers also need more crop-like vegetation assets. Corn and wheat fields would be really useful. Thanks!

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »
If you wouldn't mind chiming in on my TC_Thermocline Thread to give me feedback as you can manage from screenies and concept I would appreciate it!

I commented in your thread, Blhurr.

+Level Designer!

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
Thank you mate. Your opinions are valued. In terms of lighting what are your "go to" variables that give you he most bang for buck?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:06:29 PM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
Thank you mate. Your opinions are valued. In terms of lighting what are your "go to" variables that give you he most bang for buck?

I don't have any, I haven't really played with the lightning much.  Just play with it till you find something decent.

+Level Designer!