Author Topic: TC_FloodedBigCityV021  (Read 1576 times)

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
TC_FloodedBigCityV021
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »
Edit: Removed Wind, as spawning a hovercraft would let it build, then flip it around about 30 times or so back up under the gantry, then either flip it upside down, or it would decon.

Also, Instead of the TC_Beacons, I have added Simple Lights for the Capture Areas.

Currently working on this map from Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries that was called Big City. Basically, it was an 8 team map with a size of 8 by 8 km.

Current Cap Points:

D2 is a Light Mech, Tank, and Hovercraft Factory.

D5 is a BA Bunker with cap point near the Camera Turret.

G5 is a Light, Medium, Heavy Mech, Tank, and Hovercraft Factory.

C6 is a Light, Medium, Heavy Mech, Tank, and Hovercraft Factory.

The ENTIRE Park area roughly between E2, E3, F2, and F3 controls the VTOL Factory.

Each Main Base is just a regular Mech Hanger (non cappable), with Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault, Tank, and Hovercraft Factory.

Edit: Bump for new version.

This time, got both rain drops as well as rain environment sounds working.

I think the rain effects and whatnot work well together.

OP will also have new version put into it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34496117/TC_FloodedBigCityV021.zip
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:37:43 AM by EmyLightsaber »
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
Re: TC_FloodedBigCity
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:27:38 PM »
This is more like it. Get better resolution on the buildings, make the weather absolutely BONKERS (like, hurricane level crazy), maybe add a wind gimmick to screw with areospace, make some streets flooded real bad, others not so much.

this is more like it!

EDIT:

also make it TC or i will keel you. every part of the city must be used.

maybe implement an areo-cap zone for the flyboys.

actually you MUST implement an areo cap zone plox!
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I can only make the water level one level, so different levels of water is out. A Cap point for Aerospace and VTOL, not so much.

I think an Aero cap point would have to be something like directly over the middle of the map or not at all, since someone in a VTOL could just sit in it and stay there, forcing you to kill them, but another random thought would be you'd need to stay still in a VTOL. This sort of Air Cap point might not be interesting for a newbie, maybe more so for an Intermediate or Expert.

I can do a Hurricane Level Wind with Either Blowing Snow, or Blowing Rain.

Every part of the City: As in Read: something like 7 or 8 Cap Points? or maybe just 5-7?

Number of Turrets? No Eagle Eyes in my opinion, Or maybe one in the middle, with cap point nearby/ far away?
Hawkeyes at main bases, no Laser Turrets at main maybe?

Perhaps no Laser Turrets at all?

There are a few points on the map that would lend themselves to making into little cap points.

Additional thoughts: Repair and Rearm at middle base with no Defenses, maybe One or No Hawkeye/ Eagle Eye turrets?

AMS thoughts?

Static APC thoughts on placement? If no one brings APC, no one gets rearmed in field, thereby needing at least 2 Mobile, Player driven APC's somewhere hidden by Players?

Also: Rearm near middle, maybe two different Repair points near mid, opposite sides of middle cap point.

I at least want to make a cap point in the little area near the south west, pretty much in the park there. Put some trees down. Destructible/ Non?

Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »

can only make the water level one level, so different levels of water is out. A Cap point for Aerospace and VTOL, not so much.

1 level of water is fine, something like ground floor halfway up the door thing. also make sure to get the scale on buildings right (IE a battlearmor should bump his head going through, not be 2x the size :P

I think an Aero cap point would have to be something like directly over the middle of the map or not at all, since someone in a VTOL could just sit in it and stay there, forcing you to kill them, but another random thought would be you'd need to stay still in a VTOL. This sort of Air Cap point might not be interesting for a newbie, maybe more so for an Intermediate or Expert.

areo cap zone directly above middle indeed. the buffeting effect (if it was even remotely possible) would help prevent areo campers. maybe for hillarity having the eagle eye directly below controlled by a point on the ground in the middle? idk.

I can do a Hurricane Level Wind with Either Blowing Snow, or Blowing Rain.

blowing rain please

Every part of the City: As in Read: something like 7 or 8 Cap Points? or maybe just 5-7?

more the merrier. Outskirts bases could build/repair, inner circle could maybe repair or rearm, middle base cannot do anything (but is worth alot, has eagle eye, etc), areo cap (if implemented) would be mediocre in power, maybe does something retarded like allowing mechs to be built in middle.

Number of Turrets? No Eagle Eyes in my opinion, Or maybe one in the middle, with cap point nearby/ far away?
Hawkeyes at main bases, no Laser Turrets at main maybe?

the less defenses the better in my mind, save maybe 1 MBL turret at the outskirts bases.

Perhaps no Laser Turrets at all?

not a terrible idea.
There are a few points on the map that would lend themselves to making into little cap points.

Additional thoughts: Repair and Rearm at middle base with no Defenses, maybe One or No Hawkeye/ Eagle Eye turrets?

AMS thoughts?

Static APC thoughts on placement? If no one brings APC, no one gets rearmed in field, thereby needing at least 2 Mobile, Player driven APC's somewhere hidden by Players?

no static apcs in the middle for certain.

Also: Rearm near middle, maybe two different Repair points near mid, opposite sides of middle cap point.

see above.

I at least want to make a cap point in the little area near the south west, pretty much in the park there. Put some trees down. Destructible/ Non?

non destructible.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »
In terms of Buildings right now, as far as I'm aware, there aren't really any good skyscraper-like buildings available for Stock Crysis Wars. That said, I have also tried using solids, but have run into problems, as in, too many solids will not work, most of them will turn into little yellow balls.

Buildings as Terrain is what it is right now, less possibility of people clipping through terrain, than clipping through buildings as on other maps.

The way I see it, if you can clip through a Building, you *might* be hacking, or you might just be lagging their screen.

With Terrain, you are somehow clipping through it, you are definitely hacking.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:10:49 AM »
New version in OP.

Screenies:

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »
New maps are one of the best ways to keep any game fresh and interesting, and totally in keeping with the lore, a mechwarrior should expect to see hundreds of new battlefields during their career.

Big city was a favourite of mine in MW4.

Thank You
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
New version up.

Things Added/ Changed:

Removed Wind, Lowered Water Level.

Water now comes up to a Fafnir's Ankles, and up to a BA's Waist.

Anaconda Pilots Should be rejoicing right about now.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »
Bump for new version.

This time, got both rain drops as well as rain environment sounds working.

I think the rain effects and whatnot work well together.

OP will also have new version put into it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34496117/TC_FloodedBigCityV021.zip

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
Re: TC_FloodedBigCityV021
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
suggestion - if you don't want to use actual models you should try making a new terrain material and applying it to those buildings.
You could also make some buildings out of stock crysis assets.  There might not be skyscrapers but you could try going with a more industrial theme.  There are a bunch of industrial-type buildings in vanilla.
Creative use of stock assets and use of solids (though sparingly and only when needed for larger pieces) can actually go a long way.
Really you only need 10 or so different structures and then copy them throughout the level.

You could also try making multiple material variations for individual buildings. Copy the material in the mat editor, paste it and create a new mat.  Make sure you save the new material in your map folder (game/levels/multiplayer/*gamemode*/*mapname*)  Then find a submaterial on the model you want to change and browse for a new texture in the mat editor.  If you haven't used the mat editor before it should be fairly self-explanatory.  You can find a lot of textures to use by browsing in the default crysis objects folder.

+Level Designer!