Author Topic: TC_ThermoCline_006  (Read 8070 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Re: TC_ThermoCline
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »
Thought I'd leave you with a few more screenies while I figure out the details.

The ambient sound I'm using: http://www.freesound.org/people/Martin%20Lightning/sounds/16480/

I realize the last link is down at the moment but you should come back and check it out. The dude did awesome work on it and it's actually pretty awesome just to listen to.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:16:05 PM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 08:42:12 PM »
Man, the visuals in this are really popping. I can't wait to stomp around in it.

Keep up the good work, Blhurr!

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »
So the map is basically ready for testing. It just needs a proper loading screen, perhaps some minimap icons, and I need for someone to tell me how to package custom particles or no lightning and smoke.

"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
Re: TC_Thermo_005
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
Hopefully I'll have something available tonight for testing.

Version 005 update:
I have figured out how to change cloud formations so clouds look better but for some reason they aren't showing up on low graphics settings. I accidentally found that toggling the particles renderer allows them to display but starting the map fresh in the editor hides them again. Low setting may not have clouds sorry.

I have a lot of glass on the map; some of which is destructible. This should make for a new gameplay experience that we haven't had thus far.  I'm sure purists will rage but as long as the backstory is an arena it should fit.

I added a dense fog in a small depression in the terrain for some low vis combat.

Went through and tried to decrease view distance on as many objects as possible to increase performance.

I have decided not to include aero and VTOL on this map. It didn't fit with my vision for gameplay and without question it changes the way maps are played and constructed.

Problems:
Having trouble setting up a neutral buyzone.
Still having trouble with custom particles showing up on my other machine although I believe I have a solution.
FPS on the map is not ideal.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:28:27 PM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 12:51:46 AM »
Download at http://www.mwllmaps.com/maps/TC/TC_Thermo_005.zip

OP updated. Ready for testing.  Please snap some screenies and post feedback in this thread. Thanks.  (This version is not ready for Funbocks.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:10:55 AM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 01:41:06 AM »
Quick fix one second.

Edit. Give it 5 minutes to load to server then should be good.

Future fixes:
-Road material seems to be absent on some graphics settings. (Fixed I believe).
-I think I reversed the cooling properties of the cold zone and the hot zone.  Seems like the hot zone has super cooling which it should despite being at 450. (Fixed).
-Clouds are doing something funky with distance. Not sure I can fix that but will investigate. (have not been able to isolate this one but raising the clouds higher into the sky helps to limit how often this occurs.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:59:23 PM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Hm, couldn't connect to your server yesterday.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »
I wonder if I'm not doing 'server' correctly.  It's up again right now. If you are still having problems, would you mind DLing from the link in this thread and firing up your own server to take a look around?  I was able to connect to my PCs server through the laptop yesterday and had success with the autodownloader installing the map as well.  You may have tried to connect during a brief period of downtime that I had.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
Re: TC_ThermoCline_006
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 05:56:15 AM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:06:51 AM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »
Added to the UK box, now lets see what you've been cooking here :P

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
As per my content review thread, here are a few thoughts I have.

I really like the idea you have going with the climate zones, however I think you can present that theme a lot more clearly.  I can see what you're doing with the volcanic-ish area in the center and think this is a good way to go and can go a long way to presenting the idea.  However the theme needs to be clear enough so that players can get the idea of there being temperature variations almost intuitivley. 

The lightning kind of muddles the whole thing for me and makes me think that the weather is being manipulated instead of the temperature variations being a consequence of the environment.  I would pick one or the other and really try to portray that and tie the variations together.

For example in a few screenshots I can see a volcanic area in the center, as if the map is a snowy mountainous area with a volcanic center.  This is a strong theme.  You could amplify that theme with things such as steam vents and or small lava pools.  The "ice" you have going along the perimeter however looks a bit odd at a distance.  I would try texturing the outer areas as a more snowy environment and have it creep into the center, and being pulled back around your volcanic area.

If you go with the weather manipulation idea I would get rid of the volcanic area all together and have a large interesting weather manipulation facility at the center of the map.  Possibly with a concentration of lighting around that facility.

Your lighting also looks quite flat.  Try adding in some fog in your time-of-day and perhaps changing your skycolor to be a less pitch black.  There are also some cool effects you can achieve with lighting in the distance in/behind clouds.

Like I said though I really like the theme and wish I would have thought of it, just pick one or the other though and go with it.  The maps a player will remember are the ones with a strong theme.

+Level Designer!

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 02:22:40 AM »
Hey I'm trying to run the v06 from mwll maps and it seems once a zone is captured it can never be recaptured by the other side.  Otherwise a fun little map to play on, especially weapons testing and small groups.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 02:32:12 AM »
That's really weird behavior for capture points. I've never heard of that.  It's also not something I would have discovered with lone-man testing.  I really appreciate the feedback.  Seems like TC_Woods also had some capture point issues on the last release.  I'll have to look into what happened.  It's very strange.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »
If you need help testing let me know.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
Thanks man.  I also noticed with the recent patch that some textures are missing that were previously available. That was unanticipated.