Author Topic: Crashing More Than Ever  (Read 5227 times)

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Yusss.
Crashing More Than Ever
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »
I used to never Crash.

But that was on my old system, which I had played with before the 5.0 update. It was a piss-poor rig that could barely play the game, but I didn't crash once with it, and it even had Vista 32bit OS.

So just before the 6.0 update, I finally got a new rig, and it's been crashes and problems ever since. Network connection problems, constant crashing, everything inbetween. It's so frustrating that I'd almost go back to the old one just to stop it.

I try and submit crash reports as often as I can in hopes, but I'd like to think it's something simple on my end that can be changed to stop this monstrosity. I've reinstalled Crysis Wars, and Reinstalled MWLL twice. The 2nd time fixed my network hang of 2-3minutes watching the screen show a red x before I could do anything.

System Specs

CPU: Intel 3570K @ 4.7Ghz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Push/Pull
SSD: Corsair Force 3 90gb
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 64mb cache
GPU: GTX 670 DCUII @ 1285Mhz boost 6500Mhz Memory
Memory: 8GB (4x2) Corsair Vengence
PSU: Corsair HX750w

If It's relevant, the game crashes regardless of whether the CPU and GPU are at stock clocks or not, and it is only Living Legends that Crashes. No other game crashes, and even another game (that I'm not supposed to name), does not crash, and it uses the Crysis.exe process, although the version of CryEngine is different.

In the console, I constantly get bombarded with the message I'm about to attach dealing with slave skeletons and Master Skeletons, Specifically stating [Error] Bone-Names of SLAVE-Skeleton do not match with Bone-Names of MASTER-Skeleton. This seems to always end with either a "l_root" or "r_root" at the end of it. I've asked other's in the TS3 Outreach if this is the case with those who do not have frequent crashes, and they could not see anything similar in their console.

There seems to be no correlation between what I'm doing when it crashes, where I am when it crashes, or who's server it is when I crash, it just does so on it's own will. I have the OS installed on the SSD, as well as Crysis Wars and MWLL. They are the only games installed onto the SSD. I have SSD Caching turned on.

Any help with narrowing down the cause of these crashes is much appreciated.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
Re: Crashing More Than Ever
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »
Log Started at Wednesday, September 05, 2012 04:14:27
(...)
<04:50:58> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  r_root
<04:50:58> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  l_root
<04:50:58> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  r_root
<04:50:58> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  l_root
<04:51:56> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  r_root
<04:51:56> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  l_root
<04:51:56> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  r_root
<04:51:56> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  l_root
<04:52:46> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  r_root
<04:52:46> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  l_root
<04:52:46> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  r_root
<04:52:46> [Error] Bone-names of SLAVE-skeleton don't match with bone-names of MASTER-skeleton:  l_root

Plenty of Bones around here too. I'm gonna guess everyone has those kind of errors. I just crash more often if the player count starts going over ~20 players, but I've convinced myself that its because of the nature of my x86 OS, although I do crash in ArmA 2 as well and it doesn't eats that much RAM (but I'm gonna blame the GPU failing to hold the clocks due to overheating on that one). Once I get over my lazyness, I'll install MWLL on my x64 Win7 partition, and that hopefully should mitigate the crashes.

For you I'll suggest trying to force DX9 in the MWLL launcher. Some GPUs handle the DX9 API better than the DX10 one, but that's also probably tied to the GPU drivers too.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • Yusss.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »
(...)

Plenty of Bones around here too. I'm gonna guess everyone has those kind of errors. I just crash more often if the player count starts going over ~20 players, but I've convinced myself that its because of the nature of my x86 OS, although I do crash in ArmA 2 as well and it doesn't eats that much RAM (but I'm gonna blame the GPU failing to hold the clocks due to overheating on that one). Once I get over my lazyness, I'll install MWLL on my x64 Win7 partition, and that hopefully should mitigate the crashes.

For you I'll suggest trying to force DX9 in the MWLL launcher. Some GPUs handle the DX9 API better than the DX10 one, but that's also probably tied to the GPU drivers too.

I tried DX9. Horrendous.

I don't think "everyone" gets those errors. I asked about it when I was on TS3 with the clan buddies, who weren't crashing at all in the same server I was, and asked if they had any of these errors in their console. The reply's were all the same, and along the lines of "no, Nothing about bones or skeletons at all in my console".

I never saw any of these errors on my 32 bit old computer, and I was in the console all the time trying to tweak settings in order to get the game to stop having frame rate problems. And I never had crashes with it either.

I'm currently running the R300 driver for my 670. DX10 runs so much better than when I use DX9.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:16:42 AM »
I tried DX9. Horrendous.

Horrendous... Performance? Horrendous... Graphics? Horrendous... Crashes?   All previous?! :o

I don't think "everyone" gets those errors. I asked about it when I was on TS3 with the clan buddies, who weren't crashing at all in the same server I was, and asked if they had any of these errors in their console. The reply's were all the same, and along the lines of "no, Nothing about bones or skeletons at all in my console".

Eh, still I'm gonna stick with "everyone", or at least that it isn't an indication of a crash to come.

More about it, and the devs response:
[ERROR] Script GetCVar. and master and slave skeleton bone names? not matching
Geting alot of this in game log after ctd
Missing Object errors etc.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »
I have spammy reports of bones pretty frequently myself. Always have. Figured it was just some artifact from the mod.

I would say that I crash slightly more frequently since 0.6 launched, more frequently on servers over 20 population.

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:39:28 AM »
Just to be safe, checked your memory with memtest? Sometimes I've found ram issues leading to strange results (including only certain apps crashing on one system).

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
In the console, I constantly get bombarded with the message I'm about to attach dealing with slave skeletons and Master Skeletons, Specifically stating [Error] Bone-Names of SLAVE-Skeleton do not match with Bone-Names of MASTER-Skeleton. This seems to always end with either a "l_root" or "r_root" at the end of it. I've asked other's in the TS3 Outreach if this is the case with those who do not have frequent crashes, and they could not see anything similar in their console.
(...)

Those errors can be ignored and is not the cause of the crashes afaik, everybody has those "error lines", it does not matter which architecture your running under (32 bit or 64 bit), or which DirectX version.

If your under WIndows 7 you can check to see if the OS has identified all your memory sticks (Start > Right-click Computer > Properties > System), if they are not installed correctly they will have part of the memory stated as allocated for the system. Refitting the sticks is then needed, I had to refit the sticks numerous times untill Windows saw the correct amount.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Find-out-how-much-RAM-your-computer-has
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:16:10 PM by (TLL)KitLightning »

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • Yusss.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:45:12 AM »
(...)

Those errors can be ignored and is not the cause of the crashes afaik, everybody has those "error lines", it does not matter which architecture your running under (32 bit or 64 bit), or which DirectX version.

If your under WIndows 7 you can check to see if the OS has identified all your memory sticks (Start > Right-click Computer > Properties > System), if they are not installed correctly they will have part of the memory stated as allocated for the system. Refitting the sticks is then needed, I had to refit the sticks numerous times untill Windows saw the correct amount.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Find-out-how-much-RAM-your-computer-has

According to the Windows Memory Diagnostic Test, I have no problems with my memory.

Windows shows that I have 8BG of total memory, but only 7.70GB usable according to system properties. Does this mean I have a ram stick that is not seated properly?

So far, nothing has been found. Since the bone names error has nothing to due with crashing, I'm to look somewhere else. I wish I understood the crash log better so that I may be able to pinpoint the cause.

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:16:52 AM »
Windows shows that I have 8BG of total memory, but only 7.70GB usable according to system properties. Does this mean I have a ram stick that is not seated properly?

Yes, You may need to install one stick at a time to be certain that each is seated correctly.

Edit: Have you enabled the debug dll's, when looking up your logs I get this "function level logging disabled" :( you can enable the dll's in the MWLL.Launcher.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:23:54 AM by (TLL)KitLightning »

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • Yusss.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 06:09:29 AM »

Yes, You may need to install one stick at a time to be certain that each is seated correctly.

Edit: Have you enabled the debug dll's, when looking up your logs I get this "function level logging disabled" :( you can enable the dll's in the MWLL.Launcher.

Ah, Debug mode must have been reset when I reinstalled it the last time. I've enabled it now, and crashes should have dll's enables for my crash logs from this time on.

Offline kryobig

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
  • A dish best served cold.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
I've found out that I crash considerably less now that I switched back to my old dual core cpu (E6850@3GHz vs Q9450@2,66GHz) without noticeable peformance loss. However, now most of the crashes I get are not the "clean" ones that give me the error reporter, but just a normal ctd with the windows "program has stopped working" notification. But this makes me believe that there's something about handling multiple threads that's causing majority of the crashes.

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • Yusss.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:06:22 AM »
I've found out that I crash considerably less now that I switched back to my old dual core cpu (E6850@3GHz vs Q9450@2,66GHz) without noticeable peformance loss. However, now most of the crashes I get are not the "clean" ones that give me the error reporter, but just a normal ctd with the windows "program has stopped working" notification. But this makes me believe that there's something about handling multiple threads that's causing majority of the crashes.

I don't know. Could be possible. I can't say for sure though.

I attempted to reseat the memory 1 stick at a time in each of the slots but no matter if it was one stick in slot A or 1 stick in slot B, or both sticks installed, System Properties would always report that there was .30GB of memory not usable. It detects the 8192mb of RAM in BIOS as well as in the System Properties page, but still reports .30GB missing from the usable in system properties.

I always thought that memory was system reserved for the iGPU.

Offline Rajveer

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 03:40:33 AM »
Always run memtest when there are any RAM issues, don't rely on Windows memory diagnostics.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
(...)

According to the Windows Memory Diagnostic Test, I have no problems with my memory.

So far, nothing has been found. Since the bone names error has nothing to due with crashing, I'm to look somewhere else. I wish I understood the crash log better so that I may be able to pinpoint the cause.

It's likely it's reserved system memory or something like that.  If a dimm isn't seated right it'll either crash your machine so much it won't even boot, or it won't register.  Partial registrering of a dimm just really doesn't happen.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »
Partial registrering of a dimm just really doesn't happen.

It does (in the BIOS at least), my old system in the next room can tell you that (happens when its not well seated in the MB, its pins are starting to get loose). But I guess it won't stay stable for too long that way, no gain for me to try it. :P
Tools and I: