Author Topic: RAC sound causes problems  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
RAC sound causes problems
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »
Hopefully someone may have run into something similar, or give me some advice on what to check.

RAC's cause game play problems for me.

If i'm on a vehicle that mounts more than one of them, I'll often connection timeout when I start firing them.  Even another player who's too close to me will screw up my connection to the server when they fire off.

The only thing I can think of is the sound is maybe triggered by each bullet fired?  So then I get flood attacked by net updates?

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
Re: RAC sound causes problems
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »
It's probably not the sound itself, as that is client-side, but the actual, possibly increased server updates you get (or send to the server) when firing a lot of projectiles (which you typically do with RACs :D).

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:45:58 AM »
That may be related to the graphics level you are running at, not the sound that you would get dropouts in the sound if that was the cause. The RAC has a high ROF and the projectiles may cause a slowdown on some clients, if the settings are too high.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »
Well, in lieu of being able to fully replace my system, I got a new heat sink and got a free slightly better mobo from my brother, so once I get this old E8400 OC'd a bit better (why's it gotta be so hot down here in SoCal?) I'll see if the problems resolve somewhat.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:17:12 AM »
Meh, didn't help at all.

Dual core running at 4.2 ghz smooth as a whistle.  Run up to a Rifleman D with 4x RAC2 and red X the moment he starts firing.

For whatever reason, Funbocks will never, ever, recover for me once a red X occurs.

Guess I get to keep playing the game of "identify the enemy with RAC's and GTFO of the area before he fires at me and kills my connection".

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:35:52 AM »
Meh, didn't help at all.

Dual core running at 4.2 ghz smooth as a whistle.  Run up to a Rifleman D with 4x RAC2 and red X the moment he starts firing.

For whatever reason, Funbocks will never, ever, recover for me once a red X occurs.

Guess I get to keep playing the game of "identify the enemy with RAC's and GTFO of the area before he fires at me and kills my connection".

Funbocks has a ping limit. I have the same issue.
 though i don't think i've ever had the problem (mind you i have a quad core that can run the game on the highest setting but i've turned it down one level to reduce framespersecond.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 08:41:31 AM »
Ping has nothing to do with it. I think it's more likely that he suffers from the same basic problem as described here: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16809.msg324082.html#msg324082

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
Ping has nothing to do with it. I think it's more likely that he suffers from the same basic problem as described here: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16809.msg324082.html#msg324082

Yeah, I believe you're right.  It just tends to be exacerbated on servers with higher ping, presumably the packet fragment and flooding is worse with longer turnaround time.  I wonder if each bullet firing from a RAC sends it's own notification to every player within sound range or something, .

I think the next step for me is to see about getting a new router and putting DD-WRT on it.  My current (older) router is on the "will never receive support" list.  If that doesn't solve it, then I guess I just lose.  I would assume that if the dev team could get the packet size smaller they would already have done so, and Cox Communications is definitely the 2nd tier provider in San Diego.  Time Warner, oh how I miss thee!

Offline d3jake

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-2
  • [CGB] Pilots Captured Long Toms
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:09:23 AM »
Descent 3 used to use an on\off setting for any weapon that fired many many bullets. Do we know if the RAC uses this idea, or a packet for each bullet?

We could hop into a server, grab 7-8 RAC partisans and test this theory...

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
RAC is on/off as well, Leer confirmed that somewhere else. It is unlikely to have anything to with the sound. As I already stated, it's more likely to have something to do with the rapid updates on projectile positions, that the server sends to the client, whenever the RAC2 goes off.

@Malaclypse: keep us updated if changing your network configuration helped :).

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 03:04:22 AM »
Will do, though it may be awhile before I find the time and mind-space to do the router stuff.