Author Topic: TC_Woods_005  (Read 9193 times)

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
Re: TC_Woods_004
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 07:57:46 AM »
It is possible to try a simple way to improve the mini:

That water appeared on the minimap - use "low settings" in the editor.   At other objects it is possible to increase range of a distance view - but only for the period of minimap generate.

That mountains were are visible on the map it is possible to change a few time of day on the map (only for the period of minimap generate)  -  thus to change brightness on the minimap and shadows from objects and objects will be better visible.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »
Great feedback and good tips. 

I originally did not even want to place bases on the map. I wanted to make a woods themed map that was in a very open, remote and undeveloped area with two opponents competing to find and recover a drop ship that crash landed. The only reason there are any structures at all is because you can't spawn assets out of thin air.  I guess players are really locked into needing structures to fight over vs drop ship landing zone or a mountain pass.  After folks complained about the single base format I sort of patched in additional bases to make the map more playable.  I'll rethink the 2x bases. Maybe in the theme of improvised drop ship landing sites or something of that nature.

Regarding the minimap I did not realize that there were so many impassable areas.  From having played it and run around on it during internal testing I did not have much trouble.  I'll utilize Vitos tips and see if that improves the map.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
I played on this map. Now with additional bases everything is good. Orientation on the map - it is good.  To change the mini - completely to make the map easily played (if to whom that it is badly visible where water and heights) and everything will be ok. : )

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »
Due to the great feedback on this map (when the community cares that much to provide it that really makes me want to improve the experience); I plan on reworking and updating this one next.  I learned a lot from ThermoCline and will retrofit Woods with more set pieces, a better minimap and some other surprises.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »
I would also try adding in some sort of "wow object".  That is some sort of object, be it a object or terrain, that can really tie your environment together. It could be a large mountain for example that looms over the entire area or a radio tower.
These objects are also useful for helping a player determine where they are without looking at the minimap.

+Level Designer!

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
Hello, I just played TC_Woods the first time and I think it's a nice map. The ridges make for tactically intersting gameplay and overall I can see nothing wrong with it (apart from the seams in the skybox ;) )

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »
Alright so I started playing around with this map again yesterday in order to incorporate feedback from folks posting in this thread. I figured I'd start posting developer blogs like I did for Thermocline to give folks something to read for those with interest.

I'll start with a confession.  I originally did not want to place any points of interest on this map but was instead thinking of the story arc of one of the novels where Glengarry is being attacked and one of the regiments is flanking far around through the planet's copious forests. What if some combat took place out in that wilderness, I wondered.  Immediate feedback was a strong dislike for the KOTH style and demand for additional bases and reduced travel time. So I quickly patched a few bases in without much thought for thematics.  This will be corrected.

I've started by turning the dropship in the middle into a proper crash site and have given the whole map a smokey haze. I'm going to try and have the flames from the drop ship start a proper forest fire but no promises because smoke wreaks havoc on some players machines. I'll see what I can do however.

The next thing I'm going to do is drop the water level to attempt to reduce the issues this causes when ordinance breaks the plane of water.  I'm also going to give the water a significant boost in conduction factor.

Furthermore I'm going to add some nature sounds for most of the map and fire sounds around the crash site.

As always I'll entertain your input and feedback. Please chime in early.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 12:43:31 AM »
Hello, I just played TC_Woods the first time and I think it's a nice map. The ridges make for tactically intersting gameplay and overall I can see nothing wrong with it (apart from the seams in the skybox ;) )

Thanks man! I was really hoping the ridges would make for some interesting play.  The skybox is stock crysis. It's pretty aside from the seams ya.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 01:19:41 AM »
Forest Sounds courtesy of...
http://www.freesound.org/people/gregswinford/sounds/70100/

Early concept screenie:

I think you guys will like the improvements.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:18:59 AM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »
Putting sounds in is all well and good, but if you put them in as sound effects and not music those of us that prefer to not have them can't turn it down or off, without getting rid of useful sound effects.  Example, Zoetemeer's music is set in the sound effect channel, and therefore is always playing.  I don't know if this is something you can control, but I do think it is worth considering.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »
s_soundenable 0/1 would get rid of the Zoetemeer's music.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 02:44:26 AM »
s_soundenable 0/1 would get rid of the Zoetemeer's music.

Yes, but then I can't hear anything else.  I sort of like to use sound to know if I am getting shot, or actually hit what I am shooting.  I usually turn off music in games that sound is not super important, and listen to other music.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 03:11:59 AM »
I put it in ambient sound.  It's in its own thing and weapon and hit sounds are audible,
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:35:04 AM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 03:53:25 AM »
Yes, but then I can't hear anything else.  I sort of like to use sound to know if I am getting shot, or actually hit what I am shooting.  I usually turn off music in games that sound is not super important, and listen to other music.

With s_soundenable 0/1 I implied typing s_soundenable 0, then s_soundenable 1. That process gets rid of repeating sounds like the music on most maps. It doesn't affects any other sounds from the game.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 04:56:47 AM »

With s_soundenable 0/1 I implied typing s_soundenable 0, then s_soundenable 1. That process gets rid of repeating sounds like the music on most maps. It doesn't affects any other sounds from the game.

Gotcha, thanks...