Author Topic: Map Design Collaboration  (Read 2565 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Map Design Collaboration
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:13:19 AM »
Anyone with an artistic background interested in collaborating on maps?  My weaknesses are color palettes, sky cards and terrain coloration primarily so those are the areas for which I would be interested in a partnership.  I am otherwise well versed in the editor and try to constantly stretch the boundaries of what's available for the playerbase to engage in. My past projects are in my signature.  I also have a forthcoming project and I would be especially interested in someone taking a shot at applying an artistic eye to this project.  My style is self evident from my past maps and if you feel you would be a good fit I'd be interested in starting a dialogue.   PM me. Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:53:28 AM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Squibby

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +54/-0
  • Hanger to core breach in 30 seconds...
Re: Map Design Collaboration
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:31:42 AM »
I can offer some concept artwork if you want,

I can't use sandbox for crap and generally know nothing about mapping but I like painting landscapes.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »
Ya man I'd be down for that. Let's take it to PMs. The tricky part is that I'm only going to be able to use what's in the editor. I don't know how to make new solids and textures. You should learn how to make a skycard. There are tuts out there for it.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline ScottRidley

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 11:23:42 PM »
This might be overkill, but there's a nice procedural generator for skyboxes that I recall from long bygone days. Check out http://www.afterworks.com/DreamScape/Overview.asp

Maybe you can find a trial of that somewhere.

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:38:31 AM »
This helped me to get custom skyboxes working.

www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=25675

Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:14:06 AM »
I got a bunch of maps that I haven't finished.  Was actually thinking about finding someone that wanted to work with them, finish 'em up and such.  I just don't have the time for it, but I love making the actual heightmaps and texturing and all that jazz.  Anyways, if you want to take a look at them, let me know. :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 08:51:42 PM »
Why don't you pick one that you like and want to see finished and make the pertinent files available for download?  I wouldn't mind taking a look and see if I get any inspiration. I've finished every map I've started. Whether the end product is popular is questionable hah.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:23:48 AM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »
What files do you need?  I have one called Waddis that I would really love to see finished, it just needs some canals or something and all the regular stuff.  Would make a good TC map, I think.  So you need the .cry and a few other files, right?  I will throw it on Dropbox when you tell me all the files you need.

rock 'n' roll...

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
the .cry file. Terrain.pak and level.pak and any custom textures in a folder named textures.  Also some direction on ideas you had.  I just started classes up again no guarantees on timeline. 

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »
Her ya go.  Sorry about the delay, it's been a strange week.  I might take some screens and photoshop some of my ideas onto them, if that will help.  Also, it should be big enough for TC, and I think would be preferable.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63270867/TSA_Waddis.cry
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63270867/terraintexture.pak
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63270867/level.pak

:)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 01:49:15 PM »
Hey great! I'll have a look this weekend and see what sort of inspiration I can come up with. Depending on your interest I can send it back to you for final cut or what not.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 02:47:54 AM »
Alright I've had a look. I like the varied and amorphous terrain a lot.  I think it certainly has potential and actually fits in fairly well with a map idea I've drawn out in my head.  Unfortunately exactly those features that make the terrain visually attractive, e.g., the valleys, cliffs, dips, drops and the like, act as black holes for mechs and tanks. It's going to take an impressive amount of smoothing and erection of physical barriers to get the map into a state where players won't drive into places where they can't extract themselves from.  I'll keep toying around with it and see if it is within my abilities. Cheers!

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 06:00:24 AM »
Not every map needs to be tank friendly, although I did see a few spots that would get a 'Mech stuck too.  Yeah, it sucks that if you smooth it out it ruins it's appeal.  I see it as an intermediate to expert map, with a lot of "bunny slope" areas. :)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »
I'll think about it mate but in a game with 26 active players at any given moment I'm not sure I can justify the time investment building a map catering to only a small fraction of those players.  I've been told on many occasions by players that getting stuck with no means of extrication is simply not fun and quit rage-inducing.  Let me know if you are steadfast on this point.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »
Nah, go ahead and "do that voodoo that you do so well".

The canal idea might be a good idea, but I screwed with it a bit and they would lay to low if the were at water level.  Or just put them it at a fairly elevated height?

Here's a pic of a purposed layout.