Author Topic: Epic Screenshot settings  (Read 2705 times)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Epic Screenshot settings
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:38:22 AM »
I've searched for a while now and it is very hard to find cfg settings for all the really awesome screenshots around. I'd like to take screens at those settings for map promotion purposes.  Can anyone post their settings for epic screens or point me in the right direction?
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline J-Me

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +48/-0
Re: Epic Screenshot settings
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:59:11 AM »

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
He takes them ingame.

In the Sandbox editor there's a maybe better way: How to get a better resolution for screenshots ? (in short, taking them at high resolutions and cropping to obtain a lower one, preserving the details of that high resolution)
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
That much is known. I suppose I'm wondering about the increased depth of field and I also know you can throttle up past very high settings for screen shot purposes. I was hoping someone would list the specific cfgs they use for great screens.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:38:43 PM »
Wanna murder PC´s ?
^^
Do screenies with Downsampling applied.
If you have NV card its quite straightforward:
-rightclick desktop
-go Nvidia controlcenter
-go Change resolution
-click Customize resolution
-click Create custom resolution
-insert desired resolution into boxes  (works as follows: multiply your native screen resolution by more than 1, e.g: 1.5 = for me 1920x1200 x1.5 =2880x1800, you might wanna start with lower ratios (1.25 is a good starting point) as it broadly differs which monitor is able to cope with which resolutions, 2880x1800 is all my TFT can stomach )
-click Test resolution

If successful your desktop should seem shrinked, after accepting and setting new resolution.
This newly set resolution shows up in games from now on if it works as "normal".

For Radeon Card users: I´m sorry guys, but you have to go the long and ugly way with implementing a "hacked screendriver" which enables you to downsample.

Attached some of my configs, have a look, have fun trying them.
I have modified nearly all of them to some extent, still they have to be regarded as WIP as I´m in no way finished with those.
Level labeling is serious though, Level 7 kills PC´s (single-digit frames, wherever I look, due to very unrestrained viewdistance and 2880x1800 res).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much Mr. Hanzo sir!

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 01:06:12 AM »
Actually you don't need to do any of that for downsampling, in theory. You only have to make sure, that GPU scaling is active and then use the r_width and r_height variables to create the increased resolution in Crysis. However, in my case I had trouble navigating the menu then, because the interaction location and the actual location of the mouse were not aligned with each other.

(2880x1800 is all my TFT can stomach )

Hm, if this was the case, then your GPU actually did send out 2880x1800 instead of a downsampled resolution. In which case no downsampling actually happened. Well technically it did, but only for you, on your monitor. Any screenshots taken from this would still be the not downsampled version in the original resolution.

Remember when I said, that those pictures didn't actually look downsampled (since there were still aliased alpha mask textures visible)? Well I looked at them again and they all indeed have their original, non-downsampled resolution of 2880x1800 :). For you, those images were downsampled in-game, because your Screen actually made the downsampling work. However, the GPU itself sent the original image without downsampling, so any screenshots taken were naturally without downsampling.

Though even with GPU scaling active, I am not sure if you are actually able to screenshot the downsampled image that the GPU sends, haven't tried that yet.

Offline J-Me

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +48/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 03:31:21 AM »
Actually you don't need to do any of that for downsampling, in theory. You only have to make sure, that GPU scaling is active and then use the r_width and r_height variables to create the increased resolution in Crysis. However, in my case I had trouble navigating the menu then, because the interaction location and the actual location of the mouse were not aligned with each other.

Hm, if this was the case, then your GPU actually did send out 2880x1800 instead of a downsampled resolution. In which case no downsampling actually happened. Well technically it did, but only for you, on your monitor. Any screenshots taken from this would still be the not downsampled version in the original resolution.

Remember when I said, that those pictures didn't actually look downsampled (since there were still aliased alpha mask textures visible)? Well I looked at them again and they all indeed have their original, non-downsampled resolution of 2880x1800 :). For you, those images were downsampled in-game, because your Screen actually made the downsampling work. However, the GPU itself sent the original image without downsampling, so any screenshots taken were naturally without downsampling.

Though even with GPU scaling active, I am not sure if you are actually able to screenshot the downsampled image that the GPU sends, haven't tried that yet.

You need to take the screenshot at hi-rez then downsample it in Photoshop (or less expensive image editor).

Offline Because people mistake me for someone else

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-9
  • Dispenser of Hate & Justice, unlimited ammo still
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 03:45:41 AM »

Technically correct, didnt downsample them to 1920x1200 afterwards, you all can do that yourself, to your own desktop-sizes ;)
And yes, in fact, there will still be Aliasing in it, even if you go to 3xDS or higher(@1920x1200 native this would result in :5760x3600 resolution) .
Not even mentioning the fact most PC´s (even powerhouses with triple-SLI and similiar shenanigans) would die hoooooooorribly at such extreme resolutions^^

Tried scaling through GPU.... looks striped, still full image resolution.

By the way .... I think I know what you will do with these settings, Blhurr.
Have fun^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0976embDvhY&feature=youtu.be
*Counterstacking by OneManArmy.dll*
"Why so hateful ?" "I am, and you are too"