Author Topic: Steam bad CD key  (Read 11827 times)

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
Re: Steam bad CD key
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »
Does any one know if i just spend 30mins worth of dollars, and buy a new copy from EA (origin) for $14.99 and get a new key, does the digital download work OK?  I checked a bit and couldn't find a CD copy anymore.
It better do, CDkey wise. I've only heard of occasional problems in the Crysis Maximum edition and Steam.

I tried the app that checks your CD key and tests connection to a server- initially it came up with bad CD key, so I pasted the Crysis Warhead CD key (no -)as shown in steam library into the test box, and clicked change.  It showed as a good CD key, and connecting to server.
Oh, that's great news for you! You don't need to buy a new copy, or ask for a new CD key then.

It seems your CD key is valid without its dashes right? What was the bad CD key that was appearing? The same one, but with dashes?

It didnt allow me to connect to a server which checks CD keys like Huntress.  I ran the program again, and the CD key comes up bad each time.
That's because right now that tool I made just checks a given CD key, and doesn't overwrites the wrong one in the Windows Registry. It was probably still checking the old bad CD key, that's why it would come as invalid unless you changed to the correct one again in the CDKey button. I can easily update the tool to include writing a valid one directly in the Registry if the integration with the MWLL Launcher takes too long, and problems keep arising (I would need a sample of this file [steam root]\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf to do it properly in case someone had the game on Steam).

So in the end you just have to do this:
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2011-01/steam-cd-key-issues/

(...)

Open the following file in a text editor (ex. Notepad): [steam root]\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf

This is just an extract from the file but the %CDKEY% part is important:

“registry”

{
    “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Electronic Arts\\Electronic Arts\\Crysis Wars\\ergc”
    {
    “string”
    {
    “(Default)”      ”%CDKEY%”
    }
    }

This is the part that overwrite your CD key with the wrong one. To fix this issue permanently remove the %CDKEY% part and replace it with the properly formatted Crysis Wars CD Key.

(...)

Replace %CDKEY% with the CD key that came up as valid for you. After that run Crysis Wars/MWLL from Steam at least once, so it runs the installscript and updates the correct CD key in the Registry.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:04:31 PM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »
I've sent you a PM, Str1k3r.

Offline 3-D

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 03:53:32 AM »
I used the link provided and they were good to work with. Steam just made me do allot of stuff to prove I owned something I bought through them. It took few emails but they gave me a copy of the game to download from them then I had to re download MWLL Its working fine now and thanks to all the people who helped me with this.

Offline Slashbot_427

• Bondsman
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 06:22:30 AM »
I emailed EA Australia at 'easupport@8-bit.com.au' 4 days ago but they haven't sent me any reply yet.  The phone option they give for support is $2.48 per minute via 8bit.com.au.  So if I can buy a new copy of the game with a new key to fix the CD key issue for $14.95 or so, they would need to fix the game over the phone in 6 minutes or less or its not worth it.

In the meantime I put in a support ticket at steampowered, just saying that I was getting the "server authentication failed (3)' error on MWLL and Cyrisis wars severs, whcich according to online forums etc was due to bad CD keys apparently.  Could I have a new CD key please?

Here is the reply-
------------------------
Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

If you are experiencing CD Key issues with Crysis Wars, please ensure that you have installed both Crysis Warhead and Crysis Wars.

Then, launch Crysis Warhead to the main menu. You may then exit the game.

-If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

-If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps (ignore these if you are using Windows 7 or Vista):
1) Exit Steam.
2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
3) Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
4) Right click and select "Permissions"
5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

Verify the GCF for both Crysis Warhead and Crysis Wars:
Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Verifying the GCF solves many issues for most games.

NOTE: Crysis Wars uses your key for Crysis Warhead. You can view your CD Key for Crysis Warhead at any time by right-clicking on that game in your Steam Library and selecting "View Game CD Key".

Please test the issue.

If the issue persists, you may need to update your version of Punkbuster Setup and obtain new client files.
Please follow the link below for the latest version of PBSetup:

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

NOTE: Do not install this into your Steam folder.
Once you have downloaded it please add your game to the list. After it has been added please click the “Check for Updates” at the top of PBSetup and the new client files will be downloaded.

You should now be able to join Punkbuster servers. Please test the issue once more.

If the issue is still not resolved, further support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the instructions below to contact the support provider to troubleshoot this issue:

Title: Contacting EA Support
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3007-WRKX-5963

Please let us know if you experience further difficulties, or if you have additional questions or concerns.

----------------------------------------

I followed the instructions up until the "Please test the issue" (I run XP).  I tested connecting to various servers especially Huntress, and was able to connect again with no errors ( the maps still crash here and there tho).  I had already tried adding dashes to the keys in the registry, deleting parts from the install script, etc which hadn't worked.  so maybe my CD key was OK, but my game cache files were somehow borked?  not sure, but hopefully this helps out other people.

Thanks for all the help :)

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
sticky plox.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 12:44:10 AM »
Great. Even if you reached the Punkbuster part forget it, it isn't needed. Punkbuster doesn't even supports Crysis Wars with updates anymore when you join a server, or through PBSetup. And MWLL has its own anti-cheat protection, so no problem with that.

Also yesterday and today the Gamespy authentication server wasn't replying to CDKey validation requests for some hours. If the Server Authentication Failed (3) error pops up again, most likely you tried to join a server between that period.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Slashbot_427

• Bondsman
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
Maybe i spoke too soon  :(

I can join some servers,  (FUNBOCKS, TOG Hypernia for example),  but I still cant join huntress,  I  think it means my CD key is still bad.  After i ran the stuff steam told me do earlier, I joined Huntress once only, for about 1 minute where I was disconnected.  I though this was due to a high ping at the time so didn't think about it.  I was then able to join other servers (TOG) with a lower ping as its in Australia like me.  So I though it was fixed.  When i started up MWLL last night I joined Huntress again, however as soon as I got to the map loading screen, I got " Disconnected from server".  Every time I tried after then I immediately got the  server authentication failed (3)" error, and haven't been able to join.  If I restart  MWLL i get the delayed "disconnected from server", followed by immediate Server authentication (3) errors each time.

EA Australia  got back to me. Their reply was

Please try this cd key: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Regards,

EA Support Australia

Anyone know how I install this new key?  I emailed them  5mins ago  to ask but no reply yet.

I have reopened my steam support ticket, and asked them, but haven't received a reply yet.

Thanks

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
That's what I thought it could happen. You can do this to change the CDKey: (or use my tool here)
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2011-01/steam-cd-key-issues/

(...)

Open the following file in a text editor (ex. Notepad): [steam root]\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf

This is just an extract from the file but the %CDKEY% part is important:

“registry”

{
    “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Electronic Arts\\Electronic Arts\\Crysis Wars\\ergc”
    {
    “string”
    {
    “(Default)”      ”%CDKEY%”
    }
    }

This is the part that overwrite your CD key with the wrong one. To fix this issue permanently remove the %CDKEY% part and replace it with the properly formatted Crysis Wars CD Key.

(...)

Replace %CDKEY% with the CD key that came up as valid for you. After that run Crysis Wars/MWLL from Steam at least once, so it runs the installscript and updates the correct CD key in the Registry.
Tools and I:

Offline madpeople

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +6/-1
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »
Had a quick scan of this topic and didn't see the fix I used so I thought I would post it.

I went to the registry location where the CD key is.
I confirmed the CD key was correct.
I then changed the permissions of the key so only read was allowed (or rather I set the permissions to deny my user anything to do with writing or modifying the key).

This means that it fails to change the key to the wrong value when it tries.

Offline kwhy

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 01:44:17 AM »
just tried the whole EA chat process to hopefully get me a new working CD key (have tried all the items listed on this site (reg key change, hyphen/no hyphen, vdf file change %cdkey%...

They had me sign up a pogo account, then had to link it with me EA account, then install Origin where they put Warhead available for me to reinstall. 

It has a product ID code and when I test that in the CryHammer program which verifies via gamespy it returns invalid CD key.  I'm also taking a guess here and the Steam files aren't matching up with respected key from origin maybe?  I don't know how the gamespy authorization works.

So unless the Origin Product ID key is different than the CD Key then it isn't working.

Anyone try an Origin install and working with MWLL? 

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 02:42:43 AM »
You read my reply to you here right? http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,11550.msg322009.html#msg322009

Ok just to clear it up, CryHammer can do all those things (changing vdf file, hyphens, updating key in registry) if you're lazy. Also, the cdkey is not tied to a Steam/Origin/Retail/Trial version, it is meant to work in any of those versions. Either its valid for all of them or invalid.

I'm not sure if the product ID is your cdkey, I remember someone here had the game on Origin and knew where the cdkey was. My seach-fu skills returned this:

Do you have anything called License Key?
Tools and I:

Offline kwhy

• Bondsman
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 04:54:02 AM »
mine says product code (see below pic) which I already tested before the Origin install and it failed.

So I just finally got the 1.5 patch installed via new d/l from origin (uninstall from steam, checked the registry). 
Crysis asked me for CD key when connecting via Multiplayer and I entered the Product ID code you see above in your picture which had not changed.  So that is the serial or cdkey as well.

of course CryHammer reports that key as being invalid.

Crysis should be installed here: D:\Crytek\Crysis Wars\
--------------------
Game up to date: 1, 1, 1, 6729
--------------------
I found this CDKey: [DELETED FOR FORUMS]. Now checking if its valid (I need internet for that by the way).
--------------------
Your CDKey hash: [DELETED FOR FORUMS]
Server Token created: [deleted for forums]
Client Token created: [deleted for forums]
Remaining of the division between Client Token and 0xFFFF: 48647
--------------------
About to send this query to the Gamespy master server:

[removed info for forums]
--------------------
Now connecting. Please wait 5 seconds or less.
--------------------
The first try, without its dashes, didn't went well. Here's the error: Invalid CD Key
Now checking with dashes every 4 characters.
--------------------
I found this CDKey: [deleted for forums]. Now checking if its valid (I need internet for that by the way).
--------------------
Your CDKey hash: [deleted for forums]
Server Token created: [deleted for forums]
Client Token created: [deleted for forums]
Remaining of the division between Client Token and 0xFFFF: 63680
--------------------
About to send this query to the Gamespy master server:

[deleted for forums]

--------------------
Now connecting. Please wait 5 seconds or less.
--------------------
Your CDkey doesn't seems valid even with the dashes. Here's the error: Invalid CD Key
You can try adding another one in the CDKey area.
--------------------

installing MWLL. 

So maybe to clarify and track down the problem here.  What are servers like Huntress running that are causing authenticate errors while other servers I was able to connect to work?  If PB is not activated?  Is there an option server side to authenticate cdkey?

(edited)

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 05:36:36 AM »
I was gonna post this in the other thread, but lets do it here and keep things in one place.

Did the product ID fit in the New CDKey box in CryHammer? The CDKey is supposed to be formatted like this: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. In the end I'll have either 20 characters or 24 if you include the hyphens.

About hashing the CDKey, its just using the MD5 algorithm on it. Then to start a Gamespy CDKey authentication process a few random tokens are created, strings are merged here and there, more hashing of that, XORing, and all that makes a query that Gamespy will accept and reply. More info here. And by version, do you mean the Crysis Wars version? That isn't relevant to the authentication of your CDKey by Gamespy, its not sent to them.

Ultimately, the only factor on your side that's gonna decide if your CDKey is valid or not is your own CDKey. Crysis Wars could even be uninstalled and you would still be able to validate your CDKey sucessfully. But CryHammer does asks first for a Crysis Wars install, as it wouldn't make much sense validating a CDKey for a game you don't even have installed.

Above is my reply to your post in the other thread.

Now, then the Product Code might just be the License Key renamed. It should have this format right? xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Well and it seems like you'll have to tell them that is an invalid key as well, gamespy itself told you. You'll have to ask for another one. A forum user named zytic6 in the Server Authentication Failure (3) cd key doesnt work for MWLL (non-steam) thread had to went though 4 keys from them! Two posts below and he says that the 4rd one was finally working, so you just have to tell support to keep 'em coming. Good luck! ;D

Your last question, the servers you were able to enter were named Funblocks perhaps? Those have the server authentication port blocked I think, that should be the reason. But its an exception, its better to solve your CDKey issue as I said you and worry about it no more.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:54:20 AM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:

Offline kwhy

• Bondsman
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 06:08:02 AM »
I was gonna post this in the other thread, but lets do it here and keep things in one place.

Did the product ID fit in the New CDKey box in CryHammer? The CDKey is supposed to be formatted like this: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. In the end I'll have either 20 characters or 24 if you include the hyphens.

About hashing the CDKey, its just using the MD5 algorithm on it. Then to start a Gamespy CDKey authentication process a few random tokens are created, strings are merged here and there, more hashing of that, XORing, and all that makes a query that Gamespy will accept and reply. More info here. And by version, do you mean the Crysis Wars version? That isn't relevant to the authentication of your CDKey by Gamespy, its not sent to them.

Ultimately, the only factor on your side that's gonna decide if your CDKey is valid or not is your own CDKey. Crysis Wars could even be uninstalled and you would still be able to validate your CDKey sucessfully. But CryHammer does asks first for a Crysis Wars install, as it wouldn't make much sense validating a CDKey for a game you don't even have installed.

Above is my reply to your post in the other thread.

Now, then the Product Code might just be the License Key renamed. It should have this format right? xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Well and it seems like you'll have to tell them that is an invalid key as well, gamespy itself told you. You'll have to ask for another one. A forum user named zytic6 in the Server Authentication Failure (3) cd key doesnt work for MWLL (non-steam) thread had to went though 4 keys from them! Two posts below and he says that the 4rd one was finally working, so you just have to tell support to keep 'em coming. Good luck! ;D

Your last question, the servers you were able to enter were named Funblocks perhaps? Those have the server authentication port blocked I think, that should be the reason. But its an exception, its better to solve your CDKey issue as I said you and worry about it no more.

yeah I agree.  My main objective was that I wanted to be able to play on decent ping server under 100 and those all seem to have problems for me.

here is the server list right now

I can connect to (200-250 ping)

176.9.140.228:64100   =CJW=Funbocks Alpha TC/TSA   13 players   anticheat=0

unable to connect to these... (better ping)

68.232.182.187:64100    =KoS= Bulldog: Puretech    13 players    anticheat=0
74.91.113.213:64101    Huntress - PURE-TECH       3 players    anticheat=0

so just to finalize the deal if I set up my own dedicated server and try and connect to it the log shows "invalid cd key".

I of course pointed out the obvious to the tech support rep that the key wasn't going to work from gamespy, but they always stick to their guns no matter how much info you throw at them which then usually results in multiple escalations up ladder which eventually gets fixed.

thanks for the help.  I'll see if I can get another CD key again and follow up if it gets working.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »
Uhum yeah, as I though. :)

There's definitly something wrong between the new keys from Steam/EA and Gamespy. Too bad you have to fight through tech support to fix it... Well as a user named Bloodycrow said, its a good endurance test to get better prepared for MWLL. :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:39:23 AM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I: