Author Topic: Steam bad CD key  (Read 11825 times)

Offline 3-D

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Steam bad CD key
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
I have been trying some of the fixes I found on the form but can't get them to work. I can get on some vanilla Crysis wars severs even if they have punkbuster enabled but I can't get on any MWLL severs when I try I get CD Authentication Failed 3. I also have N/A for the ping on all severs. I would like to use the permanent fix on the MWLL site but I get an invalid root message when I type in the address. When it says to use a text editor does it mean to use notepad or not to use notepad? If not what should I use.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
Re: Steam bad CD key
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
[Crysis Wars STEAM-Copy] Server Authentication Failed (3)

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2011-01/steam-cd-key-issues/
Many new users in our community have bought  the Steam super sale for the Crysis Maximum Edition and are facing the same problem: Authentication Failed (3) when connecting to a Wars or MWLL server.

We would like to state that this is not an issue with Mechwarrior: Living Legends. Our suspicion is that Steam supplied a flawed installer or key in their distribution system which will popup a warning message when trying to play an Online game. This can be confirmed by opening up regular Crysis Wars / Crysis and go to Multiplayer –> Internet and selecting a CD Key protected server (many servers are not asking for a CD key authentication whereas MWLL will always ask for a key). Usually the ones running PunkBuster are protected and can be used for testing. Please use multiple server to test if your CD Key really is rejected.

Once you receive the message Your CD Key is invalid you are offered to enter your CD key manually. Sadly this will not fix the underlying issue: Steam overwrites the CD key each time you launch the game. This is done by the Steam Application using a helper script that tells it: Whenever the game is started, write the following Key in the registry. This key is not properly formatted for many users, it is missing the “-” (dashes) in the CD Key (“AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD” format) and hence will be rejected by the authentication process.

Luckily we have a bright and eager community that never gives up!  lonkero173 posted a solution that will be extended to allow auto-adding the proper key each time.

Open the following file in a text editor (ex. Notepad): [steam root]\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf

This is just an extract from the file but the %CDKEY% part is important:

“registry”

{
    “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Electronic Arts\\Electronic Arts\\Crysis Wars\\ergc”
    {
    “string”
    {
    “(Default)”      ”%CDKEY%”
    }
    }

This is the part that overwrite your CD key with the wrong one. To fix this issue permanently remove the %CDKEY% part and replace it with the properly formatted Crysis Wars CD Key. You will receive this one with your Crysis Warhead Installation by right clicking on the Crysis Warhead link in your Game Library and selecting “Show Product Key“.

One you entered this key in the install script it will still overwrite your CD key but this time with a properly formatted one. Your CD Key issues are now resolved!

You've been following this guide?

You can also use this tool to verify your CD key right away and know if you got a proper one: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,17421.0.html
Try to check with or without the CD key dashes every 4 characters (perhaps I should update the tool to check both ways automatically?).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:07:45 PM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline 3-D

• Bondsman
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »
This fix does not work the file path is not right so your better off doing a search for a file with the extention .vdf However even when I found the right file this fix has not solved the problem. As I said when I posted I have tried the fixes on the website already and they have not worked so I wish they had read what posted before they just relocated my post and tacked up a fix that has not worked.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
This fix does not work the file path is not right so your better off doing a search for a file with the extention .vdf However even when I found the right file this fix has not solved the problem. As I said when I posted I have tried the fixes on the website already and they have not worked so I wish they had read what posted before they just relocated my post and tacked up a fix that has not worked.

They was me, not Bruno. Your post was moved because this is the Known Issues section and your post is a known issue. If you have tried the fixes, and they have not worked, you will need to request a new CD_Key from Steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1673-IDGK-4694

One thought before you go that route, you said you can see crysis wars servers, have you actually joined and played on one? If not, do so and then try MWLL again.
My milk shakes!

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »

Ok then it seems like they gave you a bad CD key, if it isn't valid either with or without dashes (that "fix" I quoted is meant to transform a dashless CD key to a version with dashes), and you probably have to ask for a new one, following the link Flow gave you (or contact EA support, they can sort out the issue with your CD key too I think).

Before tackling that, if you wanna be sure, I recommend using the tool I mentioned above. It tells you if its valid or not by connecting directly to the Gamespy CD key authentication server.
You may were able to connect to even some punkbuster Crysis Wars servers, but even those aren't guaranteed to verify your CD key.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:09:21 PM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline 3-D

• Bondsman
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
OK Thanks for helping first sorry if I was testy about being moved. I have gotten on Several Crysis wars severs they were all empty at the time but I spent some time running around on 3 different severs with punk buster enabled. I tried the app to check the CD Key and it came up bad. I have been trying to work with Steam for 2 weeks now and they have been no help at all.

Offline SJ SaKhan Wolf

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +125/-33
  • Cheese!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:16:35 PM »
OK Thanks for helping first sorry if I was testy about being moved. I have gotten on Several Crysis wars severs they were all empty at the time but I spent some time running around on 3 different severs with punk buster enabled. I tried the app to check the CD Key and it came up bad. I have been trying to work with Steam for 2 weeks now and they have been no help at all.

If it's a bad key your only option is to get a new key from them.  Hopefully you can get a good one soon, and get into some hot mech on mech action.
My milk shakes!

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
Tools and I:

Offline Goko

• Bondsman
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »
just posted this on steam forums. as i had to dig through posts and found this way to get it working

100% working just did this

"Hey, I recently fixed this problem and it was NOT easy to come by the answer. Basically, buying crysis and crysis warhead (crysis wars use the crysis warhead cd-key) from steam does not let you play online on proper servers. The ONLY way to be able to, is to get a NEW key from EA that works after you provide EA with the one Steam gave you. You can do that and fix it by these steps.

1. Go to https://help.ea.com/contact-us and select product Crysis 2 and select Billing/Purchasing (EA no longer supports live chat for Crysis and Crysis warhead)

2. Tell the person that is helping you that you cannot connect to Punkbuster servers Online for Crysis warhead with a CD-Key you bought from them though steam. After they ask you for the steam CD-Key they will give you a new one.

3. Next you have to change the CD-Key in the registry to a new one using "regedit". Instructions here under "Add CD-Key manually to Registry". http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?topic=17249.0

4. Run the game directly through the .exe and NOT through steam otherwise steam will change the key back to the non-working steam one."

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 02:39:04 AM »
Ok great it seems simple then. :)

4. Run the game directly through the .exe and NOT through steam otherwise steam will change the key back to the non-working steam one.

Or this, in case someone's missing the steam overlay:
Open the following file in a text editor (ex. Notepad): [steam root]\steamapps\common\crysis wars\installscript.vdf

This is just an extract from the file but the %CDKEY% part is important:

“registry”

{
    “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Electronic Arts\\Electronic Arts\\Crysis Wars\\ergc”
    {
    “string”
    {
    “(Default)”      ”%CDKEY%”
    }
    }

This is the part that overwrite your CD key with the wrong one. To fix this issue permanently remove the %CDKEY% part and replace it with the properly formatted Crysis Wars CD Key.
Tools and I:

Offline 3-D

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
Thanks for responding I'm trying this now hope it works.

Offline Slashbot_427

• Bondsman
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »

1. Go to https://help.ea.com/contact-us and select product Crysis 2 and select Billing/Purchasing (EA no longer supports live chat for Crysis and Crysis warhead)

Thanks Goko

When I go to https://help.ea.com/contact-us in Firefox i don't get any options to chat with billing/purchasing ( do i need Internet Explorer?).  There are 4 main options-  Game manuals, forums, troubleshooting, and Warranty-  see attached screenshot.  There's nowhere to select Crysis 2 or any other game.

The other option on the page  is to register + log into Origin/EA   which i tried but it wont accept my email address    0_O

Do I need to log in here to reach the chat you referred to to ask for a new key?

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
Yes you have to create a free account first in EA, so they can contact you back. In despair make a new email, or if you have/had Origin, those login credentials should work as well (I first made my Origin account when I joined the BF 3 beta for example).
Tools and I:

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:09:14 AM »
You should be able to login with your EA account, all the old accounts just got transferred to ORIGIN iirc.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Slashbot_427

• Bondsman
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »

The only EA account I have is when i logged into Battlefield free to play, it wont accept that login, and it wont let me use the email for registering with Origin,  so i need a new email :(

Does any one know if i just spend 30mins worth of dollars, and buy a new copy from EA (origin) for $14.99 and get a new key, does the digital download work OK?  I checked a bit and couldn't find a CD copy anymore.

Edit

I tried the app that checks your CD key and tests connection to a server- initially it came up with bad CD key, so I pasted the Crysis Warhead CD key (no -)as shown in steam library into the test box, and clicked change.  It showed as a good CD key, and connecting to server.  It didnt allow me to connect to a server which checks CD keys like Huntress.  I ran the program again, and the CD key comes up bad each time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:56:32 PM by Slashbot_427 »