Author Topic: Suggestions....duh  (Read 6514 times)

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
Suggestions....duh
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:20:59 PM »
Greetings all, I've been talking to criminal on bf2editor.org about coming aboard as a mapper (Jeffreyrichey is my name on the forums there)  Anyway I have a few suggestions.
First. what is the legality of using the 'Mechwarrior' name?  I know microsoft owns it and they can be a bit touchy on such matters.  Also its great and all appealing to the traditional 'mechwarrior' fan base but perhaps it would also be a good idea to appeal to the Battletech side of the fan base. In the past I played Battletech tabletop along with Battlespace, aerospace, and the Mechwarrior/Battletech RPG.  I also still have alot of the books if you need any resources (in PDF I might add....)  Awhile ago I had the same idea for a Battletech mod and was planning it for ET:QW. Hehe.  So I have a notebook with some notes and such.  Infantry weapons, etc.  I'll go find it and post the ideas I had later if I can find it.

+Level Designer!

Offline JaM3z

• Set sail for fail.
  • ¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
  • Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
    • ¦TØP¦
Re: Suggestions....duh
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:44:26 PM »
sounds like a great idea, i am working on some maps atm (just sketching out on paper etc) and just trying to think what would work well and such and such.

Its good that you have thought inf weapons as i dont think alot of the guys here have put much thought into that, it would be nice if you could post some images etc etc.

And do you any experience making maps with SDK tools?

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Don't lose your head over MWLL
    • Mech Warrior Living Legends
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:27:18 PM »
Welcome death_grin,

First off, the 'Mechwarrior' name is only owned by microsoft in terms of merchandise. We are not selling the mod in any way so copy right laws do not apply. We plan to release it openly and publicly just like the MW4 Mektek Mechpacks.

As well, we are trying to appeal to all BT fans by bringing in some aerospace fighters, BT Tanks and look deeper into the BT infantry. We haven't had much luck in finding out things about infantry and would love to see what resources you can provide.

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 02:58:26 AM »

Yes, I have some limited experience with HAMMER and SOURCE SDK. 

+Level Designer!

Offline JaM3z

• Set sail for fail.
  • ¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
  • Recruit
    • ¦TØP¦
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:27:25 PM »

Yes, I have some limited experience with HAMMER and SOURCE SDK. 

Hammer FTW.

i loved that SDK, im playing around with the Q4 SDK at the moment as im sure the ET: QW SDK will be pretty much the same.

Offline Keys

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:45:12 PM »
Me 2 though i haven't ever formally made a map before but i hope to learn  ;). I had some ideas with bf2142, like some ice ones. What is a typical map for the Battletech universe, im thinking like green grassing industrial.

Offline Criminal

• Founder Wandering Samurai
  • Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-3
    • MechWarrior: Living Legends
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:52:22 PM »
Well saying as though the battlemech universe has over 500 planets that battles take part on its pretty much in the air with the type of maps you can make. Sky's the limit.

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 01:21:52 AM »
I have some heavy brushing up to do.

+Level Designer!

Offline mech_lord

• Bondsman
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »
It would be really cool if you guys could create some maps based off some stories and scenarios in the books. That would be sweet. It would make it easier to create maps and levels since you would already have some cool ideas from the books. Just an idea of mine.....

Offline Criminal

• Founder Wandering Samurai
  • Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-3
    • MechWarrior: Living Legends
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 04:45:49 AM »
Hi there mech_lord good to see you on the forums! Your comment about designing maps based around historical battles has been a plan of ours from the beginning. Since the ET:QW engine allows us to run a three map scenario called a campaign. Using this we can not only retell historical battles (like the fall of terra) but we give the player a chance to change history well not really change it but basically take part in the historical battle to see if their skill can turn the tide.

Offline mech_lord

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 05:10:17 AM »
Sweet! That will be totally awesome. Looking forward to playing your mod.