Author Topic: Having trouble installing  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Aenir

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Having trouble installing
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:16:14 PM »
So way back when I had played MWLL just fine on my old XP computer.  Now I'm on Windows 7 (64 bit), and can not get it to run/install.  A little while ago it (seemingly) installed just fine, but when I tried to launch it, I would just get a black screen.  Bringing up task manager showed that it was not responding.  I was/am able to play Crysis Wars multiplayer perfectly with no issues.

I decided today to try completely deleting MWLL and reinstalling it.  I downloaded the thing from the downloads page, and tried to auto-update per usual.

After clicking on "Start downloading" however, I got the following error pop up:

I'm out of ideas.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
Re: Having trouble installing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:58:18 PM »
That is indeed quite interesting. I don't have a lot of ideas of what could cause this... only thing I can think of is that this is a bug in the native C++ libtorrent library that the Auto Updater is using for downloading. For that the only possible solution is to update the libtorrent build we're using, which will be... painful. I will try to look into it in the near future, but it might take a while.

I don't suppose just clicking 'Ignore' solves the problem, does it?
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Aenir

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
No, it just makes it pop up again, except the Line is 757 instead of 756, and then after that I get a message saying it has stopped working.

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »
No, it just makes it pop up again, except the Line is 757 instead of 756, and then after that I get a message saying it has stopped working.

I see. That is unfortunate, although I haven't expected anything else. Thanks for trying it anyway.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to hack in a HTTP-based downloader into the Auto Updater, as a fallback sort of mechanism. My plan is currently to introduce 2 new downloader implementations that you choose from in the application settings:
 - An advanced HTTP-based downloader that has most of the critical features of the torrent technology (resume after interruption, multi-threaded and multi-source downloading, redownload corrupt chunks). Using this will result in somewhat slower download (because it can only use a subset of the sources the torrent engine uses) and will put more strain on our servers, but would be the preferred option for those who are unable to use the torrent-based downloader for any reason.
 - A primitive HTTP-based downloader that doesn't have any of the above features but is so simple that it's guaranteed not to fail. This will have the worst performance, and will hurt our servers most. Any uses of this downloader will be traced and logged, so as to prevent overuse. This will serve as a final fallback in case the other downloaders won't work.

This is the plan. What will get done is another matter completely, but I would like to see the first steps towards this end taken as early as next week.

I would otherwise not outline my plans so much in advance, but I figured you deserved knowing that we're working on the issue and have a solution in mind. I would like to ask for your patience until such solution can be released.
Thank you!
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Aenir

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
Thanks for the info, I have plenty of things to keep me busy in the mean time  :D