Author Topic: Game Lags, Mechs Don't Spawn and Everything Warps Once Server Has >=20 Players  (Read 21305 times)

Offline -SM-SUCKER

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +82/-0
The only culprit I could possibly think of wasting my precious bandwith could be steam itself. Sometimes I think it downloads content for other games while I play MWLL.

Offline J-Me

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +48/-0
I do not understand though, why the cpu could be related, because the symbol indicates a networking problem.

I doubt it is a CPU problem. As I said in the OP; it doesn't get progressively worse, it hits the wall at 20 players. I normally get around 60 fps btw.

All this talk about Torrents and Steam should go without saying. I don't run anything in the background but the standard OS applications. And I will never download Steam!

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
Just overclock your CPU and find out. I know of two people with the same problems you describe. Maybe it is enough when there is a program running in the background that is able to take away a little processing power every now and then, such that MWLL suddenly is missing the crucial five percent. I don't know, but it should be worth a try.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Don't overclock unless you know you can handle the heat, literally.
Run CPUz for awhile to get an idea of what temps your system runs at then compare it with average temperatures (Googlefu) of other people with the same processor as you.

Last thing you need is to fry the processor you already have. Depending on how old your computer is you might need to reseat your heatsink with some new heat paste (Arctic Silver 4tw) to overclock comfortably. Increasing the overall heat of any component will decrease its lifespan dramatically, if not outright kill it.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline whatever

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-1
  • Has the wisdom of the old man of the mountain.
i had a simillar problem.. random stuttering weird crashes on servers with 20 or more players..this might help..

when starting the game (the small mwll window launcher/updater/repair build screen there is a DEBUG option.. click the option to turn DEBUG OFF)

last update turned debug on for some reason or i accidently switched it on. hope this helps :)

I was a mechwarrior like you once; until i took a arrow to my mech's knee ...

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Debug shouldn`t have a performance hit anymore but perhaps something changed. It shouldn`t hurt to turn it off if you`re not crashing though and can only help I assume.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
May the problems in the first post be caused by a firewall or similar programs? Maybe all affected people are using a certain software?

Offline kryobig

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
  • A dish best served cold.
For me, this problem seems to appear more often in the RDL server.
I think it's related to the server processing capacity being pushed over the limit. This could cause all kinds of weird things to happen, like hit recognition fails and delays in asset position updates. But I don't know anything of the server code so this is just guesswork for me.
Note that ping is still normal, so it seems weird if it's network related. Otherwise there had to be seriously misconfigured or faulty network hardware on the server's end and that seems just unlikely.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
I think it's related to the server processing capacity being pushed over the limit. This could cause all kinds of weird things to happen, like hit recognition fails and delays in asset position updates.
If so, everybody on that server at that time would experience the same problems. Since that is not the case, the server is out of the question, right? I used to play with a guy who constantly had the named problems (disconnect-symbol, laggy game despite good ping whenever there were more than 20 players online). I never had the problems at that time. Now, however, I suffer from the same issues, it started about five weeks ago. I suspect that I changed something about my PC that I don't remember, but maybe it even started with the 0.5.4 update.

Except a high ping, what can cause other players to warp around and have a very laggy gaming experience? Would it suffice if the CPU-usage by other programs was inhomogeneous? Maybe all affected parties are using the same crappy routers?

Offline J-Me

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +48/-0
I'm currently troubleshooting this problem.

Anyone experiencing this problem: Please send me a PM with the name of the Anti-Virus package you use.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
I use MSE

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
Using Comodo here. Already tried to disable several aspects, but that didn't solve the problems.

Offline GB-Bear

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Yusss.
I honestly have only experienced this on the RUS and 9th server. on Huntress, I have yet to have it happen, as with the Maverick servers, which I honestly love because I experience the best performance on those servers, but no one populates them often enough.

I only have FPS problems at this point due to an underpowered rig that can't keep up. Hit detection, network drops, etc. rarely go wrong. Sometimes it happens on Huntress, on sandblasted. Only on that map for some reason. I have yet to experience such on the Maverick server.

I don't run the game off of steam, it's fully downloaded. I've found after getting many updates, I will experience these problems. But a simple defrag of all the Crysis wars and MWLL files seems to fix the problem. I've had the new updates for MWLL cause huge fragmentation of the crysis wars data in all sorts of large and small scattered fragments, especially a larger update version.

I also run absolutely nothing in the background except for avira antivir (has relatively low system weight) and any AMD Catalyst processes that allow my overclocks and whatnot to be used on the GPU.

There was a suggestion on another topic in the Tech forum for sudden performance issues that mentioned Advanced SystemCare Free. It has a lot of things crammed into one program for system optimization like registry cleaning, registry defrag, shortcut fixes, start up program control, temp file cleanout, etc. It has a turboboost function that I tried out myself, and it really doesn't "turboboost" anything, but it kills any processes that you don't want running in the background at all.

It's alright, but the same people make Game Booster 3.0, which does a much better job at killing background processes. It automatically turns windows aero off, closes out anything but the game and it's processes needed to run, turns off the viewing of the desktop shortcuts. When you close the game out, it automatically switches everything back to before the game was started. It actually netted quite the increase to the overall gameplay on my system because CPU's my bottleneck and any bit helps on my wimpy duo-core.

I'd give defragging and a quick system cleanup a try first. It's relatively fast (if you defrag only wars and related MWLL files) and the programs take seconds to set up. If anything you have a cleaner, smoother running PC at the software level.

I'm not sure what causes most systems to clunk out after so many players. I've been trying various optimizations from the start to get my system to work to its greatest efficiency for what it is. The problems always seem to be the same, but the solution is specific to your PC only. Some fixes work for others, but so far I've found experimenting with the basics has helped me tremendously.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
I want to add that I do not experience any huge drops in framerate (not even in the 28-player game I was in yesterday). I am, however, being plagued by all the things mentioned in the first post.

When I was still using my old CPU (E6600, 2.4 GHz) I did not suffer from any lag- or disconnect-issues, but my framerate steadily went down the more players were on a server. But since even with 1fps nothing was laggy (I *never* saw the disconnect-symbol), these two situations might be completely independent from one another.

Maybe all of us should reinstall their OSs? Is anybody running Windows 7? Are you running the "Test Mode"? Anybody using O&O Defrag14 in the background? Or a graphics card made by AMD?
All of these are true for me. And at the moment I can't think of anything besides these. Maybe all of our PCs are infected with the same virus. :o

Offline kryobig

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
  • A dish best served cold.
If so, everybody on that server at that time would experience the same problems. Since that is not the case, the server is out of the question, right? I used to play with a guy who constantly had the named problems (disconnect-symbol, laggy game despite good ping whenever there were more than 20 players online). I never had the problems at that time. Now, however, I suffer from the same issues, it started about five weeks ago. I suspect that I changed something about my PC that I don't remember, but maybe it even started with the 0.5.4 update.

Except a high ping, what can cause other players to warp around and have a very laggy gaming experience? Would it suffice if the CPU-usage by other programs was inhomogeneous? Maybe all affected parties are using the same crappy routers?
Maybe the server somehow prioritizes which players get updates and which don't. Or some players just don't notice it as easily. What I know that it doesn't happen all the time. There might be a minute of problem free gameplay and then when the battle intensifies, it starts to glitch again. I think this is pretty clear indication that the server just can't keep up with the updates, but again, I don't know anything about how the server software handles things so I'm just guessing here.

I'm really baffled if this turns out to be a client side issue. Why does it only appear on specific servers then? And Huntress, which gives me double the ping as RUS only has normal lag related problems for me. And on RDL I see players with 30-60 pings with myself in the same range to glitch like hell. Anyway, I'm also using Comodo as my AV software but I really don't think that's the problem here.