Author Topic: Game Lags, Mechs Don't Spawn and Everything Warps Once Server Has >=20 Players  (Read 21293 times)

Offline HuNTeR_

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Hi Guys,

I have similar problem as described above, one blink of Lag icon and then usually follows continuous Lag icon and the end, after reconnect its stuck on the team selections, but sometime after that I can run game smoothly for another hour.  My rig is i5 3570K, 6950 1GB, 8GB Ram, Win7 64bit. firewall and AV ( zonealarm 9.2 and Avast 6)  Connection is 32/1,5 Cable. My cable can run 100 torrent connections while running 3 MB/s down and 70kB up. 

In Crysis Cvars I found this kind of netgraph in left top corner: net_channelstats 0 , 1 , 2  - number 2 shows extra info about packets in second line but otherwise is same as 1. It shows many things like TCPrate, dropped packets, loss% etc. and most importantly bandwith in and out.

When the lag icon strikes, my bandwith (in) usually steadily drop. Game usually run with 5-40kb(B?) of bandwith in (bwin) but in lag it usually drops to 2k or goes from 30k to 10k in few secs.

As I am writting this, I connected to funbocks A to play a game, at 20 players I got this single lag icon for 1 sec and drop in bandwith but it recovered ok. After few minutes of game I got lag icon again in the north base and quit game after sitting in the lag for few minutes. At the time, there was 19 players on the server.  Screenshots bellow.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:54:21 PM by HuNTeR_ »

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
Ok, before we track this issue down any further with you, it is imperative that you immediately uninstall ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm is the worst piece of software that ever existed and I wouldn't be surprised if it can be the source of problems like this as well (though I'd still consider it unlikely in this case).

Offline eRkkituo

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +48/-6
  • Clan Jade Wolf (SCM). Resident ninja developer.
Ok, before we track this issue down any further with you, it is imperative that you immediately uninstall ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm is the worst piece of software that ever existed and I wouldn't be surprised if it can be the source of problems like this as well (though I'd still consider it unlikely in this case).

You'll need a replacement for it, though. I can vouch for Comodo if you can be arsed to configure it.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
You'll need a replacement for it, though. I can vouch for Comodo if you can be arsed to configure it.

No, no he doesn't. So called "Personal Firewalls" are bullshit, or at least if you are behind a router anyway.

Offline eRkkituo

• Lance Sergeant

No, no he doesn't. So called "Personal Firewalls" are bullshit, or at least if you are behind a router anyway.

I could paste a bunch of links to disprove you... or I could say that it is very, very stupid to put your eggs in one basket. I'm behind a physical router/firewall (which catches a lot of malicious traffic) and comodo is still busy blocking port scans and such. In cases like this, having two layers of security is NOT excessive, nor bullshit, as you described it.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
I could paste a bunch of links to disprove you...

Personal Firewalls are a placebo that even pose a security risk in themselves. Sure, there are 'good' ones, Comodo being one of them (at least in my experience), but it's still pointless if you are behind a router (with its own firewall, possibly).

I'm behind a physical router/firewall (which catches a lot of malicious traffic) and comodo is still busy blocking port scans and such. In cases like this, having two layers of security is NOT excessive, nor bullshit, as you described it.

If your firewall is 'blocking port scans and such' then your physical firewall or router is letting them through, either deliberately or through some other means. I would be much more concerned about that if I were you ;). It's still excessive and he doesn't need it, if he is within a routed network of his own that he can trust.

Offline eRkkituo

• Lance Sergeant
I could paste a bunch of links to disprove you...

Personal Firewalls are a placebo that even pose a security risk in themselves. Sure, there are 'good' ones, Comodo being one of them (at least in my experience), but it's still pointless if you are behind a router (with its own firewall, possibly).

I'm behind a physical router/firewall (which catches a lot of malicious traffic) and comodo is still busy blocking port scans and such. In cases like this, having two layers of security is NOT excessive, nor bullshit, as you described it.

If your firewall is 'blocking port scans and such' then your physical firewall or router is letting them through, either deliberately or through some other means. I would be much more concerned about that if I were you ;). It's still excessive and he doesn't need it, if he is within a routed network of his own that he can trust.

Scratch that, they're not port scans (DMZ's not enabled on the router). I'm not sure exactly what I'm getting here then... but I know they're incoming UDP requests from random addresses. And they go through the ports that are forwarded to make games work.

But on topic, "trust" is a lie. It's not just the stuff from the outside your firewall protects you from, it's also the stuff that gets inside. A software firewall might catch the virus that has compromised your system when it tries to download an updated payload or contact its CnC servers, alerting you to its prescence.

Security is about layers - if the malicious software has to jump through more hoops on the way, odds of it tripping somewhere get better.

Offline HuNTeR_

• Bondsman
My main purpose for ZA is denying applications access to internet and from what I searched years ago, Comodo came as worse than ZA.  All those years I never had problem with infiltrations/breaches to my computer > no stolen password etc.
I tryed last ZA and its more and more for BFU as the versions go, but older versions are better in this aspect. Older versions asked for allowing svchost about accessing internet, newer automatically allows them as system process by default. I really like to control what and why can access internet. And my ISP has active port scan test on his website to check your FW for most used breaches and opened ports...my ZA came perfect from it.

Sitting behind router + having application for controlling access is much better from my PoV than just trusting only (any good) router/nat.

Buts lets not digress from main topic, I don't think my ZA is in fault here, I can try to read logs from it when lag happens, bot no other games have problems with this even when playing games and using Mumble/TS with it.

My main concern is that what causes the bandwith drop, because when lag occur, ping -t to the server is ok and steady, maybe I will try bigger packets to stress the line more and test for the UDP bigpackets today. In LAN adapter, these is options for Jumbo packets (bigger than 1500b?) but its on by default if I remember correctly.         

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
My main purpose for ZA is denying applications access to internet and from what I searched years ago, Comodo came as worse than ZA.  All those years I never had problem with infiltrations/breaches to my computer > no stolen password etc.
I tryed last ZA and its more and more for BFU as the versions go, but older versions are better in this aspect. Older versions asked for allowing svchost about accessing internet, newer automatically allows them as system process by default. I really like to control what and why can access internet. And my ISP has active port scan test on his website to check your FW for most used breaches and opened ports...my ZA came perfect from it.

HuNTeR_, ZoneAlarm is horrible. It may not be as horrible now as it used to be in the past, but I would never, ever put my trust into that pos. ZoneAlarm causes so many problems and had so many bugs. You weren't even able to uninstall it properly, you either had to reinstall your Operating System or go through a very, very long uninstallation procedure that was posted by the developers themselves.

Just get rid of it, before you debug this any further. You are behind a router anyway, you are unlikely to suffer any harm without a personal firewall.

Buts lets not digress from main topic, I don't think my ZA is in fault here, I can try to read logs from it when lag happens, bot no other games have problems with this even when playing games and using Mumble/TS with it.

My main concern is that what causes the bandwith drop, because when lag occur, ping -t to the server is ok and steady, maybe I will try bigger packets to stress the line more and test for the UDP bigpackets today. In LAN adapter, these is options for Jumbo packets (bigger than 1500b?) but its on by default if I remember correctly.

Yeah as I said, I don't find it likely that ZA is at fault here, I just want to point out how horrible that software is and how many other problems it might introduce ;). Anyway your symptoms are similar to the problem that I described here:
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,16809.90.html
http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/read.php?8,805

What (may be) happens here is, that an unusual amount of UDP packets are lost on the way to your client. The most likely point of loss is your router. It is either unable to process the flood of 1500 byte UDP packets or it drops them deliberately. It's a bit hard to debug though. You could try the following to test it: http://cjw.dyndns.biz/forum/read.php?8,805,883#msg-883 in order to get some measurement about this issue.

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
Interesting tool there Spooky.

For me personally it reported failure at > 1500b size, and one of the other servers once it got to high file sizes dropped down to 62% packet receipt, so I'm definitely in the category of "Large UDP packets = failure".

Still need to get around to picking up a new router.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
Hunter recently told me in-game, that in his case actually a faulty network connector was the problem. So, fortunately for him, an easy fix ;)

Offline HuNTeR_

• Bondsman
Hello guys,
finally forums are up, my problem was indeed broken connector on Coaxial cable on the wall mounting. I think I may had this half working connector for years but everything else worked fine, including other FPS games.

The problem was that modem had to overboost forward signal (upload) to keep up and Crysis seems like very sensitive about connection quality, which resulted in some packets lost or a bit of signal fluctuation, as they were lost on the way (connector), not on the modem itself.
My ISP surprisingly was very forward about my issue and they had been monitoring my modem few times to catch the problem with the ingame lag, but found only the signal problem, but no lags on modem itself, when I told them exact times when they happened. Technician arived, replaced connector and voala, can run it smoothly even with 26 ppl.

So check your cables, dont buy cheapest noname UTP cables, as they even can coppered steel cables and not real copper cable (everything for profit). If you use DSL, Cable model/router etc., always use UTP cable before USB one, its much better and prefered way.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
Very good. Thanks for coming back to close the loop on this so that others might benefit from your troubles.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket