Author Topic: Autoupdater C++ error  (Read 7573 times)

Offline bro918

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Autoupdater C++ error
« on: December 03, 2011, 05:44:28 PM »
Hi everyone. I installed the autoupdater but when I try to update it, I get a massive C++ error. :( One year ago everything worked fine and now I try to reinstall the game and I get this. I dont know what is going on. I have attached a picture of the error.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I have tried installing Microsoft C++ 2010, running the autoupdater as admin and reinstalling the updater. Clicking on Abort makes it close. Clicking on Retry makes it crash. And Ignore just makes it popup over and over.

Any help would be awesome! :D

-bro918

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
Re: Autoupdater C++ error
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 07:02:12 PM »
MWLL uses MS VisualStudio C++ 2005 SP1 which you may update the OS manually with, and see if it is resolved:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64): http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21254
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 RP ATL Security Update: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347

Have you downloaded the game initially? If so extracting the build to the correct location and add a link to the MWLL.Launcher should suffice.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline bro918

• Bondsman
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »
No i have not downloaded the game. The problem occurs when i try to update the autoupdater. The game itself isnt even installed.
I tried to install both of those links you posted but both of them crash right before they install.

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
No i have not downloaded the game. The problem occurs when i try to update the autoupdater. The game itself isnt even installed.

Windows Update function? Windows 7 is known to have issues with VS 2005 and 2008 Redistributables, looking up at msdn.microsoft.com and www.sevenforums.com makes me sad :(

The file needed to install MWLL automatically is found here: http://www.mwlldownload.com/

(Optionally)

Direct Download links:
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-CrysisWars-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.0.exe
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.0.zip
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Patch-0.5.1.zip
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Patch-0.5.2.zip
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.3.zip

Torrents:
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.0.torrent
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Patch-0.5.1.torrent
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Patch-0.5.2.torrent
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.3.torrent

I tried to install both of those links you posted but both of them crash right before they install.

Is there an error code when the VisualStudio C++ installer exits?

It seems as if something is limiting your access to the files after extraction?

Do you have any Ad-Aware or Antispyware installed, they may need to be disabled during VisualStudio C++ installation.

Known Administrators Workaround for VS C++:
1. Click "Start" button > All Programs > Accessories.
2. Right-click Command Prompt > click "Run as administrator" > In "User Account Control" window, verify the program name is "Windows Command Processor" > click "Yes".
3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f
4. Press "Enter" to install the solution.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein

Offline bro918

• Bondsman
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:16:10 PM »
By "The problem occurs when i try to update the autoupdater." I mean the GAME autoupdater, you know? The thing that installs the game. I tried that command you told me to try and it did nothing.
The Microsoft VC installer things just delete itself right after it loads up. No error, nothing.
I'm just going to try those direct download links and see if they work.

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 11:24:04 PM »
The MWLL.Launcher should only be used to update an installed build. This file is the one used to install MWLL: http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-CrysisWars-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.0.exe

The VisualStudio C++ issue I would still have resolved since MWLL is depended on that.

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
Hi everyone. I installed the autoupdater but when I try to update it, I get a massive C++ error. :( One year ago everything worked fine and now I try to reinstall the game and I get this. I dont know what is going on. I have attached a picture of the error.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit. I have tried installing Microsoft C++ 2010, running the autoupdater as admin and reinstalling the updater. Clicking on Abort makes it close. Clicking on Retry makes it crash. And Ignore just makes it popup over and over.

-bro918

Exactly when does this error occur? So you start MWLL.Launcher.exe. It detects that there is no MWLL build detected, and asks you whether it should be downloaded.
You press 'OK' (or 'Yes', I don't quite remember), and MWLL.AutoUpdater.exe starts. A window comes up containing release notes and other information about the update. You specify your settings, and then press the big bold button. Another window should appear, and the update would begin downloading.

At which point does the problem occur?
To be honest, I absolutely have no idea what the problem might be or how to fix it. I would assume it's a VC++ redistributable problem, but it's still weird that you're detecting this problem while running MWLL.AutoUpdater.exe, which is written in .NET.
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline bro918

• Bondsman
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 12:36:31 AM »

-bro918

Exactly when does this error occur? So you start MWLL.Launcher.exe. It detects that there is no MWLL build detected, and asks you whether it should be downloaded.
You press 'OK' (or 'Yes', I don't quite remember), and MWLL.AutoUpdater.exe starts. A window comes up containing release notes and other information about the update. You specify your settings, and then press the big bold button. Another window should appear, and the update would begin downloading.

To be honest, I absolutely have no idea what the problem might be or how to fix it. I would assume it's a VC++ redistributable problem, but it's still weird that you're detecting this problem while running MWLL.AutoUpdater.exe, which is written in .NET.
You described exactly what happens perfectly. The error occurs where I press "the big bold button."

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »

-bro918

You described exactly what happens perfectly. The error occurs where I press "the big bold button."

Interesting. I'll be honest: I have absolutely no idea what the problem might be. I haven't seen this error before, and I have absolutely no idea as to how to fix it.
I'm absolutely certain the problem is not in my code; it sounds more like a system issue. I have 3 major suspects: Windows itself, the VC++ runtime and the .NET framework.

Here are a few things you could try:
 - Install all available Windows updates. You could also try to run the program in a compatibility mode, but I don't seriously think it would make any difference.
 - Make sure you have the VC++ runtime installed correctly. (For example, try reinstalling it.)
 - Check that your .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installation is not corrupted. (Again, you might want to try to reinstall it.)

Finally, when did you last reinstall the operating system on your machine? As a final resort, you could try reinstalling.

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 03:14:16 PM »
Most topics on VisualStudio C++ I've read concerning install issues with VisualStudio C++ on MSDN, says that .NET cannot influence on the installation of VisualStudio C++ :-\ Windows 7 has shown to have issues with installing VisualStudio C++ :(

There should also be an install.log in the Temp that may contain some valuable info.

Offline bro918

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »
I tried opening those direct download links with winrar, I get an error saying "Unexpected end of archive" so I dont know. I tried installing .net framework 3.5 sp1 from microsoft and it deletees itself when i click on Run.

I installed a windows update and I'll restart my comp then try it.

Offline bro918

• Bondsman
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 10:51:42 PM »
It finally installed fine and I can play the game.  ;D  The game is fantastic just like it was 1 year ago.
Although I do get the odd "Server Unreachable" error, which kicks me out of the game server.
Other then that I love it!
Thanks for your help guys!!

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 10:21:52 PM »
It finally installed fine and I can play the game.  ;D  The game is fantastic just like it was 1 year ago.
Although I do get the odd "Server Unreachable" error, which kicks me out of the game server.
Other then that I love it!
Thanks for your help guys!!

I'm glad you finally managed to get it work.
For the record, could you please share the details about how you managed to resolve your issue? Anybody else having a similar problem might find your experiences invaluable.
Thank you!

Klingon Programmer:
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Alex2603

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »
I have exactly this error on my two computers when I try to install 5.4
how you managed to resolve your issue? Anybody else having a similar problem might find your experiences invaluable.

Offline Crix

• Bondsman
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 03:05:25 AM »
My computer refuses to use the autoupdater, so basically I have to wait for a torrent instead of using some awful program.