Author Topic: Where to start with the miniatures  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
Where to start with the miniatures
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
mechwarrior is cool.
the books are cool.
therefore the miniatures must be cool as well.

buuuut where should one get started in the world of battletech? are there starter kits like with warhammer? what time period is the best, and is using the clans a good idea for a newb?

i would like to get into some casual battles with friends, but the local store has one (1) elemental figurine and a million advanced/roleplaying books, and no novels  >:(

suggestions?
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
Re: Where to start with the miniatures
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:30:01 PM »
Two main sources: "battletech 25th anniversary introductory box set"

Has introductory basic rules and plastic minis; everything you need to get started.

"Battletech: Total Warfare". Has the more advanced core rules. This is just a rulebook, it does not come with minis.
You can buy unpainted metal Minis from Iron Wind Metals.

Megamek is the Java based Total Warfare video game. Its free, but you probably need Total Warfare to understand what is going on.

Offline =CJW=YalK

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +96/-1
  • There's no brakes on the Rape Train
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »
^ this

Total warfare for rules....

The box set for a big heap of mini's......if you know what you like I'd suggest Ral Partha Europe....its alittle more expensive than Iron wind (not much) but is more reliable....just an ALT to iron wind....They also have some Clan starter sets....

Other wise Megamek is a great way too start....cheaper....

Expecting understanding and empathy on the internet (especially in Toast [especially by Bill]) = fail.
And I say hey hey hey....I said hey, what's goin' on And I say hey.... hey....I said hey, what's goin' on? >>> THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yNAwUUsc0

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-4
  • Clan Jade Wolf Resident Perma-Cadet
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »
The intro box has some neat things: a top quality plastic Summoner and Hellbringer, a quick reference card (SUPER useful), a poster-size map of the galaxy circa 3067, a booklet with a bunch of fluff on every IS faction, some map boards... however the 24 Inner Sphere plastic minis are terrible. It's $50 for 26 models for a very good reason. If you just want pieces to play with then you might consider getting it, but if you care about how they look at all and you are ready to drop like $200 then get into pewter. The quality is much better and if you want to get good at painting you can practice much easier by stripping them with acetone (which would eat plastics). That said it's a much larger investment. Pewter minis range from $8-14 times 10 - $120 at Ironwind Metals, and on top of the basic things for painting -  spray primer $10, acrylic model paints $20, brushes $15 - you'd need files/sandpaper, clippers $15, superglue $10, pewter bases $15, a hobby knife $15 and some spare blades for it... and that's not even getting into the fancy stuff for basing them.  And lastly you don't need a Total Warfare manual or any Technical Readouts - I learned the game as I went along by playing Megamek, which I cannot recommend enough - but it can really help. That's another $40-50 a pop though.

*conservative estimate based on my experience: $220

TL;DR - go with an intro box if you don't care about looks or you don't have the budget, else invest in pewter models because they're high quality and rewarding to paint up all nice and spiffy.
#mwll, where all the anuschat happens
(2:46:59 PM) Pytak: vicious anus
(2:47:09 PM) haarp: it hungers
(2:48:01 PM) Pytak: for moar

(11:38:04 AM) Merf: I can touch everything.
(11:38:07 AM) Merf: Prepare your anus
(11:38:50 AM) Merf: It is okay. I am your father, which makes it totally not creepy

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 02:16:03 AM »
hmm, well im looking to experience the game, not dive right in. it sounds like the 25th aniversarry starter kit for me. Budget is low, too many videogames... time is low, too much university... therefore i think unless this hooks me better than MWLL, i will stick with the starter kit and my novels.

thanks for the advice.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline [CG]Anastasius Focht

• Resident Sociopath
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-9079
  • Precentor Martial
    • Comstar
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 02:37:31 AM »
If you go with pewter minis a cheap set of jewelers files is worth having

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180599777388?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Most hardware stores stock sets too, just ask for jewelers files
You have to understand the code of duty and honor that rules those who pilot these engines of destruction. Placing such an awesome weapon in the hands of an individual implies a similar gesture of trust

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anastasius_Focht