Author Topic: TC Warzone  (Read 7257 times)

Offline Ivaan

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +44/-0
Re: TC Warzone
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »
Hey Blhurr!

They are basically lot of smaller smoke particle effects scaled up a bit and put together. I can give you the exact values within a couple of hours, after I got home.  :)

Regarding performance, the view distance on Warzone is limited and I lowered the details of these smoke colums as possible. Therefore more than 2 or 3  of them are never visible.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
Yes I remarked on that very fact! They are impressive and memorable features of this map and do much to create the atmosphere.  Well done and I look forward to hearing back.  Do you have any other projects in the pipeline?
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Ivaan

• MechWarrior
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
Thanks!  :)

So one smoke column is constructed from around 60 (yep, sixty) smaller smoke particle effects, and 600-700 meters tall. I used one type of smoke, which is here:
Particles/smoke and fire/black smoke/huge white. I selected this because it was one of the biggest smoke in size, and looks like distant smoke by default.

I only modified the LoD ratio to 255, and decreased the CountScale. Both help to improve performance. The lowest part of the smoke column contains effects with a 0.5 Countscale, and as you go higher the Countscale is decreasing: until middle it is 0.3, and in the upper part it is 0.2. Also, the particles are closer to each other near ground level, and farther on higher altitudes.

So if viewed from a distance, it gives the impression that the smoke column is denser closer to the ground, and it fades away in higher altitudes as the wind blows it. Basically I just put these smoke particles together just like when I drawing a smoke column by hand with pencil, so it can be shaped any way.
Then I grouped the whole thing together, and put them where I wanted, rotated, moved higher/lower to give a more varied look.

Probably it could be done more efficiently, using less particles, since it is quite performance hungry. That is why only a few of them on the map, and only 2-3 are visible in the same time. And it's quite a big smoke column as I mentioned, so if you want to create a smaller one, it will perform better  :)
The max view distance on Warzone is 3.5 km by the way.

I hope this helps!

Do you have any other projects in the pipeline?

Not really, because I wanted to update my older TC maps first.  For now I'm mostly finished, since I don't have anything new for Snowblind and Phlegeton, Seaport still has some smaller technical issues and lacking some city details, but it works fine overall I think. Maybe in the future I'll do something about it. But as we are talking about Warzone, it could use some more interesting/better textures here and there, since it looks ...repetitive a bit. An enhanced minimap would be useful as well. ...So, updating never ends really, eh?  :D
Also, wanted to do KotH version for Badlands.

I had two failed project recently though.
One of them was a weather experiment, however much less ambitious than ThermoCline  ;)  It was a night map with a huge thunderstorm going on, where pulsing simplelight entities would simulate the light of the thunders, with dynamic shadows and all, ambient sounds for thunderbolts and storm etc. I knew that light sources are demanding when I started, just wanted to see how much.
It looked cool and frightening, and it worked ...on an 1x1km map. But on a normal sized MWLL map, it was a performance nightmare  ;D
So I had to tone the effects down, but it became uninteresting that way...

The other was an oceanic map, with a few small islands, air cap zones, and floating mini-dropships(not the MWLL dropship we have, I constructed them around single mechbays  :D they looked stupid  ;D )  I imagined it would be cool to start a map by jumping out of a dropship into the sea, then march to dryland. But there were technical and gameplay issues, and at the end I wasn't satisfied with the concept, so I stopped.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:45:09 PM by Ivaan »

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 05:50:01 AM »
Thanks again. Yes I think we've all imagined a hot drop scenario. I haven't come up with any ideas that don't suck either although I'm sure people will read your post and beg you to try anyway. No new maps ideas myself and not much time to start one from scratch. I'll likely just do as you and try to improve on what I have already.  00_Dam needs a facelift.

Keep up the good work!
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline Ivaan

• MechWarrior
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »
Hey!

New version of Warzone is ready. I tried to give the map a more natural look by changing the textures and adding few details. The map is still big though  ;)
Also, the center base is weaker now, please see the changelog:

V0.6:

- Weight of the forward factories are changed from 1 to 0,5

- Weaker base defenses

- Weaker center base: replaced the rac AA turret with a Mgun turret; removed the repair bay

- More natural looking textures and roads, added grass

- Other small improvements

Pics:
http://mwllmaps.com/?map=tc-warzone

Download Link:
http://mwllmaps.com/maps/TC/TC_WarzoneV06.zip

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »
Looks great, Ivaan. Thanks for keeping it updated. :)

EDIT: Derped.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:04:09 AM by Bloodycrow »

Offline [IPA] Avatar

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-4
  • Kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »
Looks great, Vlaad. Thanks for keeping it updated. :)

Vlaad?  ;)

Offline Ivaan

• MechWarrior
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »
 :)

Thanks!

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »
This is good news ! ^ )

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
One of the first maps I played when I started the game. Thanks for keeping it up to date :)