Author Topic: Shameless pimping of TRO Prototypes  (Read 8046 times)

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
Re: Shameless pimping of TRO Prototypes
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 05:19:57 AM »

@Nebfer
When you get the chance, look really closely at the art, i like to sneak in little jokes n shit

The lung wang P2 dropship, is a predator class vessel, the side of it features some seemingly random letters on the side spelling out "YT-JA."  Pronounce that phonetically, and if you ever read any of the AVP or Predator comics/books, you'll understand ;)
The Saber is being piloted by a Cpt. Light
The Cheetah is being piloted by a Cpl. Chester
The Transit has "surprise!" and kill tallies on the side, it's essentially a flying long tom.
The number on the side of the Corsair describes a very different type of corsair
1: Sadly I have not seen any of thoughs, I am aware of what they are though
2: light saber....
3: Cheese puffs any one?
4: Well big surprise their it is a flying long tom (long tom cannon mounted)
5: Well I guess if I need more RAM I know where to look.  :)

Theirs one I'm aware of with the Infiltrator II BA pic (the color one), it's piloted by Lt. J. Rico.
I also know that in TRO 3055U a number of notable pilots happen to be forum members (The Grim Reapers happens to be Wombat)

Offline Flyingdebris

• Bushy B is my homeboy
  • MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +135/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »
in continuing to point out tiny references, that one franz vohwinkle piece of the rifleman iic and the madcat in the snow near the crashed dropship, both are "piloted" by catalyst team members
Wherever mechs are needed, I am there

Offline VictorMorson

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-27
  • WANTED: 24 counts of base rape and dismemberment.
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »
I'll have to pick this up once it's added to Megamek.  I'm disappointed there's not some preview images of the revamped Protomechs - I hear the goofy is out, and I really want to see it, but the price is really high for a digital download PDF unfortunately to check it out.  A few pages here and there with the technical details blocked out would be totally awesome and hugely good for marketing in this case, in particular since we've been subjected to years of really terrible designs by artists that didn't seem to know the difference between Battletech and Voltron.  It looks like you guys have (thanks in no small part to you, Flyingdebris!) totally turned things around and the art I have seen looks awesome, but I'm really hoping for some preview images to get out there some day.

in continuing to point out tiny references, that one franz vohwinkle piece of the rifleman iic and the madcat in the snow near the crashed dropship, both are "piloted" by catalyst team members

One thing I'm curious about with Catalyst, is are there hands tied in all things Classic Battletech?  Since the company that owns the property obviously has no interest in it (Topps) and Dark Ages are dead, are they really hand-tied to continue marching towards the future of Dark Ages despite the fact it was universally hated?  It seems like they can do so, so much more if they were allowed to deviate, or even reboot, the line.  In particular with artists that are intent in taking the goofiness out.

Last but not least.. what's the policy at Catalyst about Sarna and Megamek?  That's got to be the hardest thing for selling TROs now - Sarna has so much information that there really has to be a huge hook to go to a TRO.  Are the designs banned from being put on Sarna since they're new and not defunct "abandonware" for lack of a better word?
I will personally hunt you down and poptart your leg while your back is turned and you're in your base.

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
Yes I also have an issue with the "alternate universe" perspective of the catalyst line. I know FASA bit it before they could finish the story but that does not mean you take it out to left field. Is there a way that they can avoid the Dark Age nastiness that they seem to be jumping to 30LY at a time? I personally do not touch the books if they say catalyst on them because their "historical archive books" though interesting are just that, interesting, they are not historical they are rewriting quite bit of the stuff that actually happened. And unfortunately when you deviate a little you end up deviating a lot down the line. None of that is to say I do not want them to do well, I wish them luck with their endeavors, it simply becomes less and less battletech to me with every release. They use the same words as we do but the story and timeline is so different.

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 07:16:22 AM »
Dark Age is Canon.

Time to accept it and cry wank into your pillows. Ill try picking this up when i get the chance, i always liked the IDEA of protomechs. Just a pity the original artists had no idea what the  hell they were doing, and its a great day if theyve been retconned into something which wont make our collective eyes bleed.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 07:38:32 AM »
I'll have to pick this up once it's added to Megamek.  I'm disappointed there's not some preview images of the revamped Protomechs - I hear the goofy is out, and I really want to see it, but the price is really high for a digital download PDF unfortunately to check it out. 
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2058788439591&set=o.19541048147&type=1
and
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2058785319513&set=o.19541048147&type=1
These are some of the new protos, though the second one is from the Wars of Reaving book

Their both "super heavy" protomechs, the Svartalfa is a 14 ton protomech that can fly like a WIGE, with Streak SRMs and heavy small lasers and a MG, and enough armor to give you head aches.

The Hobgoblin is a 10 ton protomech, AP Gauss and a new weapon system that's effectively a 2 shot ATM launcher, it's found in the Wars of Reaving book (which details whats going on in the Clan homeworlds and why in the DA time line the "invading Clans" are mum about it... The short, the home clans got fed up with the invader clans (and the supposed taint of their failure to defeat the IS) and banished them violently, and then removed the any one who came into contact with them...).

Also heres the Thunderbolt IIC from the TRO
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150201116158148&set=a.10150199463713148.309309.19541048147&type=1
Improved Heavy Lasers and Streak LRMs are the main guns of the 70 ton mech.

One thing I'm curious about with Catalyst, is are there hands tied in all things Classic Battletech?  Since the company that owns the property obviously has no interest in it (Topps) and Dark Ages are dead, are they really hand-tied to continue marching towards the future of Dark Ages despite the fact it was universally hated?  It seems like they can do so, so much more if they were allowed to deviate, or even reboot, the line.  In particular with artists that are intent in taking the goofiness out.
Well IIRC they said they are not planning to spend all that much time in that particular time frame, the NEXT TRO slated is for 3150ish, and they have plans for the 3300s.
Despite the the uproar of Dark age time line most seem to have supported the time line, though not all may have liked it...  so the out right "haters" are some what of a minority. With most of them being dire hard B-techers who are still pissed off about the poorly done introduction to the time line.

I.e. FASA goes under, B-techs future is unknown, Wizkids buys rights, B-tech is saved, a sigh of releaf, wait whats this Wiz kids announces Dark age and gives out some spotty info on it, making most B-tech players go WTF? Later info showed it was not as bad as what the early info had seemed, but the damage was done... And Catalyst has altered it slightly, mostly by providing more info for much of the details, like the mech disarmament issue, they did not disarm in reality, the Jehad saw to that... As their was not much left to disarm...

Last but not least.. what's the policy at Catalyst about Sarna and Megamek?  That's got to be the hardest thing for selling TROs now - Sarna has so much information that there really has to be a huge hook to go to a TRO.  Are the designs banned from being put on Sarna since they're new and not defunct "abandonware" for lack of a better word?
It's a three or so month waiting period from "dead tree form" release date. So once the new TRO hits the book shelves and not the internet after three or so months Sarna can start uploading the info to the site. It's the same for Megamek, though individual players who know how can add the mechs them selves.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
So basically protomechs are becoming animu fodder.

Hilexcellirous.

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 04:30:46 PM »

Protomechs, or "Hey, we have all these fantasy RPG miniatures no one is buying. Find a way to work them into Battletech!"

I don't have a problem with the idea of protomechs. It makes sense there is something to fill in that gap between Battle Armor and a 20 ton mech. Although I don't feel protomechs are the solution to a tactical problem that needed to be addressed. Even LAMS fill a very useful niche.

But mostly I don't play with protomechs because I just don't want to learn yet another set of special rules. BA, Infantry, Vehicles, and Mechs is all I can handle.

If someone can convince me of a tactic you can do with protos that you can't do with mechs and vehicles I will change my mind. I'm always open to ideas. 

Maschinengeist

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 08:16:05 AM »
That Thunderbolt IIC looks like it was created in the MW4 art style...can't remember the artist's name, though.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 08:48:48 AM »
I'll have to pick this up once it's added to Megamek.  I'm disappointed there's not some preview images of the revamped Protomechs - I hear the goofy is out, and I really want to see it, but the price is really high for a digital download PDF unfortunately to check it out. 
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2058788439591&set=o.19541048147&type=1
and
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2058785319513&set=o.19541048147&type=1
These are some of the new protos, though the second one is from the Wars of Reaving book

Their both "super heavy" protomechs, the Svartalfa is a 14 ton protomech that can fly like a WIGE, with Streak SRMs and heavy small lasers and a MG, and enough armor to give you head aches.

The Hobgoblin is a 10 ton protomech, AP Gauss and a new weapon system that's effectively a 2 shot ATM launcher, it's found in the Wars of Reaving book (which details whats going on in the Clan homeworlds and why in the DA time line the "invading Clans" are mum about it... The short, the home clans got fed up with the invader clans (and the supposed taint of their failure to defeat the IS) and banished them violently, and then removed the any one who came into contact with them...).

Also heres the Thunderbolt IIC from the TRO
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150201116158148&set=a.10150199463713148.309309.19541048147&type=1
Improved Heavy Lasers and Streak LRMs are the main guns of the 70 ton mech.

Well IIRC they said they are not planning to spend all that much time in that particular time frame, the NEXT TRO slated is for 3150ish, and they have plans for the 3300s.
Despite the the uproar of Dark age time line most seem to have supported the time line, though not all may have liked it...  so the out right "haters" are some what of a minority. With most of them being dire hard B-techers who are still pissed off about the poorly done introduction to the time line.

I.e. FASA goes under, B-techs future is unknown, Wizkids buys rights, B-tech is saved, a sigh of releaf, wait whats this Wiz kids announces Dark age and gives out some spotty info on it, making most B-tech players go WTF? Later info showed it was not as bad as what the early info had seemed, but the damage was done... And Catalyst has altered it slightly, mostly by providing more info for much of the details, like the mech disarmament issue, they did not disarm in reality, the Jehad saw to that... As their was not much left to disarm...

It's a three or so month waiting period from "dead tree form" release date. So once the new TRO hits the book shelves and not the internet after three or so months Sarna can start uploading the info to the site. It's the same for Megamek, though individual players who know how can add the mechs them selves.
That second link looks really "Flyingdebris-ey"

Maschinengeist

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »
Also, this is pure sex:

Mind you, I may be a bit biased...but it's still pure sex.

You've sold me on the TRO, pending payday.

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
That Thunderbolt IIC looks like it was created in the MW4 art style...can't remember the artist's name, though.
Hint it's on the picture...

It's the same guy.

Maschinengeist

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 04:57:32 AM »

It's the same guy.

Allow me to explain further: That thunderbolt IIC looks like it was created in the MW4 art style...I cannot remember the name of the artist who did all the MW4 art, though.  He has a different DA profile than FlyingDebris.

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »

It's the same guy.

Allow me to explain further: That thunderbolt IIC looks like it was created in the MW4 art style...I cannot remember the name of the artist who did all the MW4 art, though.  He has a different DA profile than FlyingDebris.

Lets me explain it to you, the guy who did the art for MW4 and this one is the same guy. He also did the Art for Mr. Protomech linked above which has his name in said pic (the pic your talking about also has the artists name under one arm).
I believe his account is mechamaster on DA though.

Maschinengeist

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 04:22:54 AM »
Right, he did all the art on this page...so you're saying that the FlyingDebris and Mechamaster accounts on DA are the same person?