Author Topic: SA_Coliseum  (Read 7567 times)

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-1
SA_Coliseum
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:20:25 PM »
The auto DL is up. It does work. It just makes you reconnect to the map after the DL. Not sure what that is about but I had two people tell me they timed out after the DL, then reconnected and all was well.

I have been missing the Coliseum so I decided to make it.
This map is brutal in many ways. Custom temp curve based on TOD and longer view distances force you to play at the top of your game. There is plenty of cover while still leaving ample room to maneuver. Lighter faster mechs should do well here. Yet, you wont be limited to just brawler mechs. I look forward to hearing your feedback.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:05:33 PM by ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ »

Offline TAX_MAN!

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-2
Re: SA_Coliseum
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:06:48 PM »
Very nice map.  I really like the fireworks signalling someone is on the repair pad.

I do think that some of the edges around the moat in the center are a bit steep however.  Makes it a large chore to get out in a heavy mech along the west side of the map and I suspect it might be borderline impossible for tanks to get in or out.

Side note, do CUAC20s not appear underwater?  Couldn't see my shots when I was using it on this map.

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:47:02 AM »
Thanks for the play testing today guys.

Some things for sure have to be fixed.
There is one spot where you can get stuck behind a hangar. I'll have to see what to do about that. Also, one of the fireworks particles is crashing clients. I think it might be the the one I like the most too. :(

About the moat. I am torn between making it easier to get in and out of. I don't want it to be easy to use that repair pad. That's why I put it on an area trigger for the fireworks. I'll have a look at maybe adding a bridge in one spot so that tanks and such can get across. I will probably change the Area Trigger to set off a siren and flashing lights or something of that nature. I am bummed about that particle effect though. It's the best one of the bunch.

Stuff left to do.
Setup the crowd ambient sound. I am unable to do this at this time until I have some kind of access to that. So it's pretty quiet until a mech explodes. The SA-Crowd sounds currently do not work. Some general polish on a few of the mech bays that still have sand in them....ETC.

And yes AC20's don't appear under water. Neither do rac or ac5-10 etc. Also, MRM bounce off the surface of the water like you are too close to a mech. Those things I can't fix.

It does get very hot during the day. No joke. I think I will keep it this way. It's not Inferno but it's quite warm. 12noon is the hottest part of the day at 42c and .8 cooling factor. Eventually, all the debug lines in the console and hud will be removed. I am pretty much through messing with my FGs for right now. They all seem to work properly. Feel free to chime in with anything I have overlooked or missed.

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-0
  • What would a pirate do?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:58:37 AM »
I haven't played it yet, but I'd advise you to make the repairpad not trigger any kind of indicator.
seeing how four of your spawns are already pointing at it, it's gonna be really hard to use anyways.
besides, with the next patch there will be a new mechanic adressing the problem on repaircamping, to prevent players from repairing while taking fire.

About the firework-sound, it's known that one of those particle effects causes crashes, and it's currently getting fixed.

For the Ambientsounds, please have a look at SA_Reference. (I fixed it the day after I was notified that the uploaded file was corrupted)
SACrowd-Entities don not play an ambient sound loop!
they only fire certain audioevents as soon as something happens close to them (destruction of Arm/Leg/Mech/etc.)
The ambientloop needs to be set up using an AreaShape and an AmbientVolume. ==> SA_Reference!
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!
"I'm a piece of C.R.A.P."

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:03:42 AM »
For the Ambientsounds, please have a look at SA_Reference. (I fixed it the day after I was notified that the uploaded file was corrupted)
SACrowd-Entities don not play an ambient sound loop!
they only fire certain audioevents as soon as something happens close to them (destruction of Arm/Leg/Mech/etc.)
The ambientloop needs to be set up using an AreaShape and an AmbientVolume. ==> SA_Reference!

You know. You must think I am the biggest dumb ass alive. ;D This ain't my first rodeo. Yes, I know that it needs to be linked to an area shape. Yes, I know that I have to add an ambient sound that is linked to the area shape. Yes, I know! Have you tried to use the crowd ambient sound that is listed in the Reference map? First, you cannot add any of the sounds under mwll_environment in the editor. They are not available in the list. Second, if you would take a second to look at the reference map you keep going on about, you would see that even the crowd ambient loop doesn't work there. Third, the path to the sound in the SA_Reference map is to the alpha build.

Have I finally made this clear enough? I have been trying to get an answer to this for a week. The only sound that works in the mwll_environment folder is.....TEST!

The issue is the beta build is missing the resource. I can't very well add something that doesn't exist. This is a bit of a hot button issue with me right now, if you couldn't tell. Even when I browse to the location I get NOTHING!

Here is me browsing through the sounds.....No MWLL sounds or crowd sounds in there...

Not to be thwarted, I move along with the browse button and I am presented with a mwll_environment folder that contains....Wait for it........

OK, so I try to set the crowd sound. It doesn't work in editor or in game! As a matter of fact, NONE of those sounds work except the test sound.

Could I be doing something wrong? You bet. I have never had a problem adding a sound in sandbox2 before. It appears to me that the resource is simply not available for the crowd loop sound. If there is some form of enlightenment you could offer I would be grateful.

EDIT: Just so you know I am not crazy...Note the mwll.alpha in the path. Yea, us lowly folk don't have those files!

While I am getting frustrated and asking questions... Why is there a giant basketball in the Mech bay where George's ad is supposed to go?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:17:21 AM by ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ »

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 01:57:06 PM »
Listen up pal!
I may be a Dev, but I'm just a human as well, in fact I make mistakes sometimes, when I tested it it worked, and I didn't notice that for some reason the editor would show the files from the alpha even tho I was using the beta to make that map!

On top of that, what do you think I made that "SA_Reference"-topic for?!?
I can't fix something if I don't know it's broken!
So if you had opened your mouth a little earlier and posted these bugs in the thread for the reference maps I would have fixed it right away, but unfortunately for you I have a real life that is more important than MWLL right now, so in fact you'll have to wait until I have time to fix it.
(you could even have sent a pm to me, no one is going to kill you if you directly ask a Dev for help)

Also, keep in mind that even tho the Reference-maps are very cheap, it still takes some time to put them together, and that is actually development-time!
I'm doing that shit for your sake, so you can have a look at how we're doing things, I'm doing it alone, since the few other mappers are focusing on new maps meanwhile.
I'm making those Reference maps to make your live a little easier, what I do need from you however is a little support regarding bugs/improvements whatever, if I don't get this, and the time I put into this is not appreciated, you can do your shit alone!

How the hell would I know something is broken about the map when ppl don't tell me that it is, but rather keep asking the same questions over and over again?!?

Again, those Reference maps are a project I started on my own!
I have no obligation whatsoever to keep making them, since they are not connected to MWLL-development in any way, in fact they are not being tested either, since they are not part of the mod!
If responses/ranting like that is all I get from putting time and effort into this, instead of "bugreports", I'd rather spend my time developing actual content for the mod, and have you guys figure it out yourselves!

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:14:48 PM by 7.[WD]Sesambrot »
If at first you don't succeed try again, and if you don't try again, you'll be hit in the face with a shovel!

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 03:32:52 PM »
The audio issues are being investigated at the moment, thanx for bringing it to our attention. I can confirm for you though that they are definately a part of the build(you would not hear any sound in the beta if the resources were actually missing) but they are inaccessible from within the beta editor. I am sorry I dont have any more info on why at the moment, but as I said we are investigating.

The "basketball" in the SA hanger is caused due to your build not finding the resource compiler to create the brushes from the solids in the editor(Solids are compiled as .cgf brushes and stored in level.pak when u "export to engine"). The editor looks under "mods\mwll\bin32" for the RC folder and resource compiler components. Those Resource Compiler components are installed by default into "Crysis Wars\Bin32\RC"(where they also need to be for max/photoshop and also other editor functions).. its a little more complex as it has been brought to my attention that the RC that ships with the default tools may not work as intended with mods, but I am yet to find the time to test this thoroughly enough to be sure, so I still suggest copying it over for the moment(you can also try an export from the 32bit editor if you havent already, just incase it will find the rc where the x64 version wont).

I havent been able to get much done for MWLL the last couple of weeks(besides adding things to the bottom of my mwll todo lists lol) due to school holidays with my 12yr old daughter being home and approaching deadlines on a paid project which has to take priority cause... well... its paying my bills lol.. but I am confident that we will have these issues sorted and fixed for the community very soon.

I apologise for the confusion and frustration these issues have caused, please bear with us while we get it all sorted for you all. As a "guesstimate" timeframe I will say late this coming week(14th July or so) we will either have a resolution, or at the very least an update on what is causing these issues.
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
Sesambrot, your hard work is VERY APPRICIATED! I have yet to look in to TC's reference map, but I am poorly attempting a training map per requests... I have, a place to teach BA JJ feathering... -_- haha

@Wilson

I have tried it, and it does not work. SA_Alshain is still showing as a ball solid where his posters are.  I think if possible they should be converted from a solid and made into a decal like the ones on the opposite wall as they have no problems loading.

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »
Listen up pal!
I may be a Dev, but I'm just a human as well, in fact I make mistakes sometimes, when I tested it it worked, and I didn't notice that for some reason the editor would show the files from the alpha even tho I was using the beta to make that map!

On top of that, what do you think I made that "SA_Reference"-topic for?!?
I can't fix something if I don't know it's broken!
So if you had opened your mouth a little earlier and posted these bugs in the thread for the reference maps I would have fixed it right away, but unfortunately for you I have a real life that is more important than MWLL right now, so in fact you'll have to wait until I have time to fix it.
(you could even have sent a pm to me, no one is going to kill you if you directly ask a Dev for help)

Also, keep in mind that even tho the Reference-maps are very cheap, it still takes some time to put them together, and that is actually development-time!
I'm doing that shit for your sake, so you can have a look at how we're doing things, I'm doing it alone, since the few other mappers are focusing on new maps meanwhile.
I'm making those Reference maps to make your live a little easier, what I do need from you however is a little support regarding bugs/improvements whatever, if I don't get this, and the time I put into this is not appreciated, you can do your shit alone!

How the hell would I know something is broken about the map when ppl don't tell me that it is, but rather keep asking the same questions over and over again?!?

Again, those Reference maps are a project I started on my own!
I have no obligation whatsoever to keep making them, since they are not connected to MWLL-development in any way, in fact they are not being tested either, since they are not part of the mod!
If responses/ranting like that is all I get from putting time and effort into this, instead of "bugreports", I'd rather spend my time developing actual content for the mod, and have you guys figure it out yourselves!

Have a nice day!

LOL here we go with the hostilities again.

Please don't be upset with me. I made the mistake of assuming that a question I pose on a Monday might trickle its way through the dev team by Friday. When I ask a question here, you can assume it's because I've done everything that I know how to do and asked everyone that I know outside of official channels.

I let this goose out of the bag at the beginning of the week. All I have been told since Monday, is that I was doing something wrong. I'm not asking for a time line. I'm just trying to get some kind of confirmation that I'm not going crazy. I tried to go through other channels to see if maybe there was an easy solution to my problem. I'm not perfect either. But, when every single person you ask just generally assumes you are doing it wrong, it gets a little annoying. I work very hard to make sure that I'm doing the right things my self. So that I don't have to bother you all every two seconds. I understand you are busy people. I really do. You could do a lot by not just assuming everything I ask about is bullshit because I'm doing it wrong. Trust me, I already assume that it's me every time something doesn't work. 99% of the time, it is an error on my part and I can fix it and move on. Sometimes a person has tried everything and when it comes down to something not working as intended, it builds frustration over the time lost investigating the problem.

I also hate it that you read my post as hostile even though it's text and all I have to set tone is emoticons. I used one. It's a giant grin right after statements that might appear hostile. Everyone has a point where they get frustrated. Just because I'm frustrated, doesn't mean that I'm frustrated with any one person. It is also unlikely that you would have understood my situation unless I posted the pictures to show you what I'm talking about. I can also see how you read my SA-crowd bit as meaning the entity. At the time of posting I was not actually posting about the entity SA-Crowd which does function as intended. I could have easily been more clear. At the time, the exact description of what I was dealing with wasn't clear to me. That was my mistake all the way.

@Wilson
I did copy the RC as I was instructed in previous posts. Perhaps It is another related problem. I will try your other suggestions. I actually did have one bake where the posters were there. It's a strange problem for sure.

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
Keep in mind that we all have not only stuff to do within MWLL but might even have a life outside of it - devs are not omnipresent in the forum and not all-knowing either. Now let's focus on the map again.

Had a test run on that map today and like it. I guess if the debug output & the afore mentioned stuck place get fixed it could go into our rotations.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:34:17 PM by 7.[WD]Cygma »
<Insert cool content here>

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
I don't know what you did for the last week...
And I could not have known that you already looked at SA_Reference and it didn't work because I wasn't told either.
I don't know who you asked about it, but if it's got something to do with a Reference-map, the one person you should ask is me, because I'm the one who made it, or make a post in the respective topic, and I'll know.

I'll admit that I can be a bit impulsive by times, especially when being stressed/frustrated from studying for exams.
However, it doesn't help to get a kinda cynical response on trying to point someone in the right direction.

I'm sry if I misread your post but I can't tell what you were thinking when writing that, even less than when you would have actually been talking to me.
You could have saved me and yourself quite some frustration and anger if you had simply told me from the very beginning that:
"you had a look at SA_Reference on that matter, but it didn't help because the sound appears to be misspathed."
Wihtout such information I can only assume what's been going on.
You shouldn't be supprised that if you don't tell ppl that you have already been looking it up, they'll assume it's your fault.

Anyways, let's leave those misunderstandings behind...
I actually have an idea what might "fix" the problem:
The folder structure for those sounds in the beta should actually be the same as in the alpha, which would explain why they work on official maps, even tho you can't access them in the beta-editor.
Unless you haven't tried it yet, delete the ".alpha" from the sound's directory. So it looks like: "mods/mwll/Game/Sounds/..." instead of "mods/mwll.alpha/Game/Sounds/..."
If I'm right the sound should actually be accessed properly, if not you'll have to wait until we figure out what the cause of this is.

That's the only easy/quick "fix" I could come up with.
As Wilson said, we'll have a look at it once we can take a break from real life again xD

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »
I actually have an idea what might "fix" the problem:
The folder structure for those sounds in the beta should actually be the same as in the alpha, which would explain why they work on official maps, even tho you can't access them in the beta-editor.
Unless you haven't tried it yet, delete the ".alpha" from the sound's directory. So it looks like: "mods/mwll/Game/Sounds/..." instead of "mods/mwll.alpha/Game/Sounds/..."
If I'm right the sound should actually be accessed properly, if not you'll have to wait until we figure out what the cause of this is.

I did try that. I was really hoping it would be that simple. That didn't work. There is no rush now that I know that eventually that will be the correct path. Then it should hopefully just start working when that issue is corrected.

Good news is I found out that the Fire work I liked the most isn't the one that was causing the crash. If you guys know which one it is you could save me a lot of trouble testing to find out.
The bad news is one of the FireWorks in the map is still causing crashes. It's not the yellow streamers that are over the Mech bays in the reference map is it? At this point I just don't know which of them is causing it. Maybe more than one? Is it all of them right now?

Offline Sesambrot

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 02:56:09 AM »
Trust me, if I knew I'd tell ya, but preparing for exams I haven't really been around lately...
regarding development that is, something in the back of my mind wants me to think it's the Big_Daddy firework which is the problem, but I'm not sure about it, so better not take that for granted.
I'm pretty sure it's not the streamers tho...

I'll post it here as soon as I find out.
Meanwhile, maybe Wilson knows more about it, even tho it seems he doesn't have more free time than I do lately... ^^

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 10:32:24 PM »
Re the audio issues - We have a few ideas and a direction to start working in to get the problem resolved, with some possible causes and solutions being looked at. I'll let you guys know when we have the issue fixed, hopefully we'll get the fixes out in the next patch which will be ... soontm :)

About the fireworks, we are also aware them causing crashes somewhat randomly, it seems to be connected to the audio component rather than 1 specific particle effect. We are investigating this one aswell, hopefully it wont prove too difficult to fix.

Also.. sorry to post offtopic with the above.. the map looks good so far NotSoCoolJ.. keep up the good work :)

"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 05:12:03 AM »
New version. First post is updated.