Author Topic: Idea for organising friendlies  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
Idea for organising friendlies
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »
Just had a thought,

Every unit has a channel on the Outreach TS3 server, so if members of a unit are interested in playing a quick friendly with another unit, why dont they occupy a space in their channel, they don't have to have mic or speakers on, and you could be using your normal unit TS (open a new tab for the server), but your presence in your outreach channel would indicate that are inertrested in a friendly.

This could be relevant to unaffiliated players also if they are lurking the server.

Members of units with sufficient numbers of willing members could then ask other units if they want a match, or see if multiple Units (or unaffiliated players) would consider teaming up to battle a Unit with more people online.  The players could then discuss terms (number of players, map, server, c-bills etc.) and get stuck straight into organised bipedal vehicular carnage!

I for one am interested in getting involved in more (semi)organised play and think this might be a good way to do it.

Perhaps this could be done on specific dates, between specific times to do a turn up and play tournament?  Or even organise things like a royal rumble!

Disclaimer: Sorry if someone has already had this idea (I didn't do too much searching of the forums to see if someone already thought of it) please feel free to rip holes in this, or add more ideas.  I haven't thought through all the ins and outs, and I've probably forgotten something fundamental.  Also aplogies if this is written poorly or difficult to understand, writing was never my strong point!
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
Re: Idea for organising friendlies
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »
Sounds just like an open merc night TBH

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:07:20 AM »
That's basically Open Merc Night, in fact we had one just like that last night.  It was a fairly disparate group, but fun nonetheless. 

We also just use the Autojoin to pick teams, though it doesn't really work when everyone hits the button at the same time. :o :o
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:17:30 AM by AlfalphaCat »

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »
That's basically Open Merc Night, in fact we had one just like that all night.  It was a fairly disparate group, but fun nonetheless. 

We also just use the Autojoin to pick teams, though it doesn't really work when everyone hits the button at the same time. :o :o
hehe

6 on 2, GO

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:57 AM »
I'm also a bit interested in getting involved in more (semi)organized play, but as a relatively newer player, I have no idea what Open Merc Night is.

Care to elaborate on this particular organized play?

Offline Draekros

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Beware the Undead Ninja Wabbits...
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »
I'm also a bit interested in getting involved in more (semi)organized play, but as a relatively newer player, I have no idea what Open Merc Night is.

Care to elaborate on this particular organized play?

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,13714.0.html  8)

It's pretty much all organised on the community TS3 server. As long as there is a server admin around to set up the server.  8)

12th Vegan Rangers. Beta Regiment.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:59:47 AM »
Looks like square needs to update his post a bit :P

Offline Gouty

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +137/-5
  • =CJW= Chief Whip
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »
Ok, granted It is pretty much Open Merc Night (I may have forgotten about that one)

But am I right in saying OMN tends to happen at certain times (normally just a as I am going to bed!), and have a certain amount of organisation beforehand?

Using this way they could happen at any time, and require less planning.  And making people aware that they can just sit in a channel, mic and speakers off (and can still be logged into another TS server), just to show their willingness to fight, might help get more matches going.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"
If you take this seriously, you're some kind of mouth-breathing fappwit that shouldn't have survived infancy.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
Nope, a lot of times, OMN happen when there's a couple of people that want to play, someone runs around the TS3 server letting everyone know that a OMN is happening and what server to join.  Teams are organized once a sufficient number of players have joined.

That being said, they do tend to happen later at night since that's when the most people are on.

---

I'll update the OMN post

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
We had an early one yesterday.  It started up around 7:00pm EST and died around 10:00pm EST or so due to lack of players.

OMNs are not planned beforehand in any way.  Basically someone says, "hey look we have 20 people on the server, let's get an OMN going."  Then they hop around in different channels and recruit people and then we get it started.

The limiting factors are players (need at least 8) and server admins (not as much of a problem).

If you want more OMNs, idle in Outreach.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus