Author Topic: =KoS= Noble Knights to battle!  (Read 6764 times)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
=KoS= Noble Knights to battle!
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:36 AM »
We are looking for fights mostly on Saturday and Sunday evening.

Our first battle was with SJ and they were gracious enough to let us use their TS3 and set up a channel for us and host the match on their server, so a personal thanks to them for that.

For next weekend, I'm looking at you 12VR.  8)

Post here for challenges to us and I'll run it by everyone!
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
Re: =KoS= Noble Knights to battle!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:33:57 AM »
Ohai!

You send any of us a PM or did you just hope we'll come across it? :P
If the latter, I'll go send the rest of the guys the message and see if and when we can get set up

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »
I spoke to Sphere and Cat and they said you guys were tied up this weekend so we battled SJ.

Next weekend though we would love to fight you guys, your terms.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »
Cool, I will talk it over with the guys and see when would be a good time for them.   Sunday evening sounds good to me.  :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »
O_o  I swear i posted on this last night but maybe i didn't press post...

Offline ~SJ~MausGMR

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-7
  • Oh snap...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »
Invictus, time for a rematch!

I want to test with KoS the puretech drop system thats been agreed upon for the planetary league. 300 Clan tonnes vs 360 IS tonnes, maximum of 8 assets per side.

What do you think mate? It's about time we had some games together, its been ages.

<Freeborn_Toad> what's a Maus?
<Razorin-Faust> It's what you get when Chuck Norris and Natasha Kerensky have a kid : Maus

The prodigal son has returned

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »
Seconded by Amarus...let us do glorious battle! 8)

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 04:10:58 AM »
Woo, just in time, just got my internet back since Thursday.
Give me a half a day or so to get caught back up and ill get back to you.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 04:26:48 AM »
So what do you guys think of the ruleset?

Is 360 v 300 tons viable?

Should we try another set up?

Should we try the tonnage again but put more restrictions on variants?

35 mins and going at 30 min seemed to work well.

Good thing we won't have that many Shiva E's lying around in the league. :P

Also. ENDLESS RAGE AT NONWORKING CUSTOM MAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.  >:(

I'm going to ask one of the IS units for a scrim with the same rules with us using Clan puretech to get a feel for how it plays out on the other side.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:08:19 AM by xInVicTuSx »
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline ~SJ~MausGMR

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Colonel
  • Oh snap...
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
I'm going to be away for the next few weeks invictus so playing both sides and hearing your perspective would be great.

I think the tonnage options are viable, I mainly took out 'experimentation' lists, to push the boundaries of the system, and to test certain things out. You guys took lists you knew were going to do well, made up of your (mainly) favourite assets.

I'm happy to keep testing this like it is for now, afterall one or two tests are far from conclusive.

I would like to, next time, put a death limit on assets, like there will be in the planetary league. So no more than 2 of the same variant, and if you loose one, its gone from the pool of available assets. Will mean a little more time spent creating drop lists on the fly, but tbh I was doing that a lot last night anyway.

Timing seemed fine to me.

And yes, sucks the custom maps didn't work, hopefully for next time we can get Huntress set up properly.

Good games anyway dude, look forward to more games in the future!

<Razorin-Faust> It's what you get when Chuck Norris and Natasha Kerensky have a kid : Maus

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
Good games for sure.  I missed Merf though =/.  Did you guys have some people that couldn’t stay?  It seemed like your most successful lists were the ones with the maximum pilots and lots of light assets.  I think that was true for both teams…filling out the roster with medium and lighter assets seemed to work better than dropping a few heavy assets.

I think the tonnage options are viable, I mainly took out 'experimentation' lists, to push the boundaries of the system, and to test certain things out. You guys took lists you knew were going to do well, made up of your (mainly) favourite assets.

Next time let us know when you want to drop experimental lists, and we can do the same.  Otherwise, assume we will be trying our best to win (we were operating under that assumption). 

Although, I don’t see much point in dropping a list that is known to be inferior…isn’t that what internal practices are for?  We tried the whole "ranged list on a brawling map" thing before (Inferno in TotJ), and we regretted not having the personnel at the time to practice it before trying it "live."

I would like to, next time, put a death limit on assets, like there will be in the planetary league. So no more than 2 of the same variant, and if you loose one, its gone from the pool of available assets. Will mean a little more time spent creating drop lists on the fly, but tbh I was doing that a lot last night anyway.

I'm not sure that would impact too much except to help the winning team win more.  We can try it though, making EDIT: assets droplists on the fly is a hell of a lot easier with tonnage than it is with c-bills, so no worries there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:08:42 PM by xDeityx »
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 12:48:52 AM »
Well, this was actually the first time we've really put on the bushwacker and thanatos spam in scrims, usually you'll see something more like round 2, some warhammers and hollanders. The options aren't that many sometimes when it comes to weight, 100 ton assaults come rare and our only really good tank is 80 tons.
I guess it will come down to how expensive assets are in the league. When you look at weight, the 5 tons between the Bushwacker and Uziel goes a long way.

We usually use a mix of weights, so the all bushwacker rush was an experiment of sorts, even though we knew it would be hard to beat simply because of the chassis.
In several of the scrims we've had before this, we've been using LRMs alot, but I thought we would get away from that for awhile.
Also, until the last round we used no MRMs, fun fact. :P

So shall we do a 2 variant hard cap this time? As far as I know it was a 3 variant hardcap with no more than 2 in one round.
Only thing we used 3 times I think were the WH prime and the Shiva E. I honestly would've preferred other Shivas but it was our only form of AA.

If you want to get really strict we could do a one and done style on variants. :D
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline ~SJ~MausGMR

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Colonel
  • Oh snap...
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:10:57 AM »
In response to Deity, we had people, including me that needed to go coz it was approaching 2am our time and we have work the next day etc. Merf was on holiday but he should be back in soon. Having numbers is a definite advantages but I think focus fire from strong heavy pilots against the light and mediums that may be encountered, which with an asset limitation will see less desirable variants used more often, should result in some pretty interesting fights.

In regards to the list, it was about picking different things that worked within the build rules. Most of the lists were certainly capable, although maybe not the strongest they could be. I need to see how different kinds of assets work within the system, for example, I have a feeling tanks are generally underpowered for their weight, but that needs proving, which will possible happen during the alpha test of the system.

Unfortunately it isn't always easy to get 16 ppl to attend a training, so we've been a little lapse on that side of things lately.

The idea about the winning team winning more, well, it will be the initial ruleset for the first run through of the alpha test, so people then I imagine will be careful with their asset allocation. If ppl spam out their best assets right away, maybe your enemy will take a counter and you'll seriously suffer from that point on.

Invictus, not quite sure if your saying you've got a low number of choices there or a reasonable number of choices. I know that bushwacker and thanatos spam is going to be stupidly hard to beat, unfortunately the dev's don't value armour very highly in this mod, so those assets imo are tougher than they should be. Maybe by the end of the alpha test we'll decide that IS doesn't need the 1.2 ratio because the advantages they have in such departments. Not saying that will be the case though, I'm fully looking forward to what all unit leaders say about this system.

2 Variant cap I think is a solid option, we'll each have a solid chance of loosing things we rely on, and that matters a lot. In regards to IS AA, you just need to use stuff that doesn't insta gib any plane in the air, theres plenty of options available that fit that bill =P

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 01:48:58 AM »
I have a feeling tanks are generally underpowered for their weight, but that needs proving, which will possible happen during the alpha test of the system.

When compared to weight in mechs, isn't that supposed to be the case? I thought the big advantage was that they're a fraction of the cost in cbills.

I think it goes beyond armor, shape is the elephant in the room imo. A bushwacker only SEEMS like it has endless armor because its nearly impossible to get every shot in the same place if the thing is moving at all. This is never a problem on the Scat because it usually gets armed before destroyed, which takes much longer. The bushwacker should be easier to simple core as it is slower, but the sleek shape just guarantees that all the armor will be used.

Its like the Thanatos, when not counting the D or E, many consider it a big joke because it is so easy to hit. When the buffed armor variants came out I was initially glad as I thought it would help the Thanny's massive size. It is too much though, if they could just bring all the Thannys somewhere inbetween those extremes I think the chassis would be perfect. 

In regards to IS AA, you just need to use stuff that doesn't insta gib any plane in the air, theres plenty of options available that fit that bill =P

Well when you think of Air to Air on the IS side its sort of all or nothing, Beatstick shiva or Sparrowhawk. With the RAC5 Shiva and Prime somewhere in between?
I don't know much about air.  :P
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:42 PM »
Pretty much the Partisan with the LGauss is the only semi decent non-Shiva AA we have (unless ramming is allowed, in which case whatever Saber's flying would be good AA :P)