Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Introductory box set  (Read 11845 times)

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
25th Anniversary Introductory box set
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
I just placed mine on pre-order as it comes out at the end of the month.  Who else is looking to get this?

I have been a avid mechwarrior fan since first watching the tv series, and snes games and then playing MW2 for the first time and linking them.  Picked up novels, etc.... this was 96 or something of the like, and earlier with the snes games.

I am geared up to try and force my younger 14 year old brother to play some Battles against me and see if I cannot taint him. haha.

A good few lances possible either side, and two omnis to start me BT Clan army off! All I will need is paint and primer, and I have a hobby shop near my work.

Anyone else excited? what about hoping Catalyst will revitalize this game some, I mean they seem to be trying to stay out of Jihad by fluffing out the past history more.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
Re: 25th Anniversary Introductory box set
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
reseens
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »
I might pick it up, but between my 2 other box sets (3rd edition and the previous Catalyst edition) and the pewter minis I actually have a crap-ton of mechs. Not sure I need more plastic ones.  :D

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:01 PM »
I hope so, but they need a hook to get table top back to being popular.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »
I preordered mine at the beginning of the month when I saw it on MekTek's front page.  My older brother owned the original intro set growing up so now I get my own :) Yay!

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:17:10 AM »
reseens
No Reseens or Unseens in the box set - early rumours had it that it would have had the usual two companies' (24) worth of plastic 'Mechs (the same as in the previous box) PLUS four Un/ReSeen, but those four got replaced by the "deluxe" plastic Hellbringer & Summoner.

That said, I will still grab this, even though I plan to build a Clan army. Probably going to split the plastic minis into two roughly balanced armies painted in the colours of different IS units.

And then it's off to waiting for the upcoming Clan Expansion box set  - rumoured to be 14 classic Omnis from TRO3050 (except Fire Moth because according to rumours it could not be moulded satisfactorily) plus a Star of Elementals. Though will still probably have to order pewter Clan 'Mechs from Ral Partha UK, because knowing CGL the Clan boxset will be horribly delayed anyway.

Offline Ghiest

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:18:16 PM »
Still got my original box set, with the little cardboard half folded and in the little plastic clips :P  Although I have now laminated the boards cos they were always falling apart really easy.  Funnily enough I still play battletech about once a month with my old buddies from when I first started playing with them 20 or so years ago

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
I am going to get it!

Offline Sean Lang "Phil"

• MWLL Contributor
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
  • "Life for others is worth my sacrifice"
    • Clan Wolf in Exile: Alpha Galaxy
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:06:06 AM »
How the quality of the mini's? Someone mentioned plastic? Are they as detailed as the metal caste ones?

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »

Offline Sean Lang "Phil"

• MWLL Contributor
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
  • "Life for others is worth my sacrifice"
    • Clan Wolf in Exile: Alpha Galaxy
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 01:13:05 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzpTonpnGIA

Looks good brobe.

Thanks for the vid, looks like its came along way since my last boxset. But I don't know of anyone who plays here in Boone NC lol!

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 03:31:15 AM »
The wife has allowed me a bit of extra money to start my new hobby. I am torn about what to get though.  So far I am thinking TRO 3039 most likely for sure (I am also using scifigenre's website to shop (anyone suggest me a better one I would be greatful) But what else I am not sure, some thoughts are the quick start lance that has orion, firestarter, victor and hatchetman and getting a blackjack and centurion with it, or I am thinking of a tank lance with a demoisher, shrek, SRM carrier and manticore with a Army Painter Miniature & Model Tools Set
https://www.scifigenre.com/itemDetail.aspx?sid=12NQMJ0TSOHYW1Q&nItemID=80739

Or even getting Art of War and clans of kerensky or handbook davion and trying a battletech RPG here based around that.. What would be a good way to go for a new player to BT, etc... Thanks :)

Offline wonderboy2402

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • Callsign Raghnall
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 05:33:09 AM »
I could never find anyone to play battletech with. I tried to convince my highschool buddies to try and there were no takers. I have two of the original box sets (with the warhammer on the cover) and Citytech... Oh well.

This might sound dumb, but why haven't they tried to make a sophisticated battletech virtual board system for PC? I know there was some basic fan made ones... It seems to me, alot of the "chore" of the tabletop hobby could be taken up by the pc side of things. Dice rolls, Line of sight, quick reference rules, and a nice looking tabletop for battle.

I also thought about Warhammer 40k. Couldn't they have both the physical miniatures and a virtual tabletop part to their game system? Imagine if you could buy your physical models and each box would also come with a code that would let you unlock your virtual unit too. You could quickly outfit the units on your Online army list, choose color schemes, switch out weapons and bitz, adjust poses,  upload insignia, quickly shuffle and save army lists, have a gallery... then play test it online. Then when you actually play at a tournament or with friends you would have a well tested army.

Or even the option to buy all the units virtually and just play there. $5.00 bucks would get you a 5 man squad of space marines. Whatever.

Because frankly, the biggest hurdle I always encountered with these games is the hideous price point and the time having to prep armies and travel time. They need to bring tabletop into the 21st century. Because I love to boardgame/tabletop but it is hard as an adult to get everyone together to play.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »
Megamek yo.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »
I could never find anyone to play battletech with. I tried to convince my highschool buddies to try and there were no takers. I have two of the original box sets (with the warhammer on the cover) and Citytech... Oh well.

This might sound dumb, but why haven't they tried to make a sophisticated battletech virtual board system for PC? I know there was some basic fan made ones... It seems to me, alot of the "chore" of the tabletop hobby could be taken up by the pc side of things. Dice rolls, Line of sight, quick reference rules, and a nice looking tabletop for battle.

I also thought about Warhammer 40k. Couldn't they have both the physical miniatures and a virtual tabletop part to their game system? Imagine if you could buy your physical models and each box would also come with a code that would let you unlock your virtual unit too. You could quickly outfit the units on your Online army list, choose color schemes, switch out weapons and bitz, adjust poses,  upload insignia, quickly shuffle and save army lists, have a gallery... then play test it online. Then when you actually play at a tournament or with friends you would have a well tested army.

Or even the option to buy all the units virtually and just play there. $5.00 bucks would get you a 5 man squad of space marines. Whatever.

Because frankly, the biggest hurdle I always encountered with these games is the hideous price point and the time having to prep armies and travel time. They need to bring tabletop into the 21st century. Because I love to boardgame/tabletop but it is hard as an adult to get everyone together to play.

I am with you there man, and you are right about the hassle.  If it is good friends though, it is always well worth it to get together, have some brews, and play some TT.  I just need to convince a couple folks that I know would really love it.

Also, yes!! To tabletop games being made for PC too...there are so many good ones that either already got butchered by game developers, or just passed over by them, that would be 1000X better than some of the drivel we are sold.   :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)