Author Topic: MWLL.AutoUpdater.exe crashing  (Read 31298 times)

Offline Chronos

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Re: MWLL.AutoUpdater.exe crashing
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
Actually Ressk, I am going to post here.  ;]

I just downloaded an autoupdater that works (Couldn't tell you for the life of me what is different about this one except it works) and it is downloading now.  I think my problems are temporarily behind me.

Offline Threndor

• Bondsman
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 04:22:34 AM »
Ok so I'm new to MWLL as well and trying the get the mod working.  When I try to run the AutoUpdater it experiences a runtime error and crashes giving me the option of either restarting it or cancelling.  Restarting it never works.  I've tried deleting the MWLL folder from the Crysis\Mods folder and restarting the whole process to no avail, including re-downloading the MWLL-CrysisWars-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.0 and retrying.  I took a look at the MWLL.AutoUpdater.exe log under My Games\Crysis Wars\MWLL\Launcher to try and see what was going on and the log gives the following reason for a crash: 

Error> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '\My Games\Crysis Wars\MWLL\Launcher\updatersettings.dat'.

I don't know why its looking for this file or why its not there or even if that is the true reason for the failure.  I saw all the links previously for a direct download.  Would I just need the http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Patch-0.5.1.zip put in my \Mods folder to make this work? Because the other link doesn't seem to work...

Would really appreciate some help please! I miss Mechwarrior!

Offline animalmom

• Bondsman
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
I am having the same problem as the above user  - I am a new player and followed the instructions on how to install on the MW wiki page

I get to the same place the above user get and get the same error:

"An unexpected error ocured while running the updater.  The program will now terminate to prevent data corruption.  The issue has been automatically reported to the developer.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Do you want to restart the updater?"

Does not work in any case.  I have tried several times.

UPDATE  ********

I used the autoupdater on page 3 of this thread:

Direct link to the Autoupdater:
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/mwll-extapps-0.9B.zip

and it is downloading.   Might want to change the MWLL Wiki "how to install" link if this wasnt a problem specific to me.

I have shut down steam and gamespy comrade.  Win 7 and updated net framework.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:00:07 AM by animalmom »

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
Thank you for the direct link to the Autoupdater. It was a big help seeing I have been trying to get MWLL to work for some time now.

The links posted in the thread are far out of date. See the topic for the latest Tools release.

I just downloaded an autoupdater that works (Couldn't tell you for the life of me what is different about this one except it works) and it is downloading now.  I think my problems are temporarily behind me.

I hope not temporarily. We're constantly working on fixing bugs (as well as adding new features), and latest fix addresses all known issues that have been reported.

Ok so I'm new to MWLL as well and trying the get the mod working.  When I try to run the AutoUpdater it experiences a runtime error and crashes giving me the option of either restarting it or cancelling.  Restarting it never works.  I've tried deleting the MWLL folder from the Crysis\Mods folder and restarting the whole process to no avail, including re-downloading the MWLL-CrysisWars-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.0 and retrying.  I took a look at the MWLL.AutoUpdater.exe log under My Games\Crysis Wars\MWLL\Launcher to try and see what was going on and the log gives the following reason for a crash: 

Error> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '\My Games\Crysis Wars\MWLL\Launcher\updatersettings.dat'.

I don't know why its looking for this file or why its not there or even if that is the true reason for the failure.  I saw all the links previously for a direct download.  Would I just need the http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Patch-0.5.1.zip put in my \Mods folder to make this work? Because the other link doesn't seem to work...

Would really appreciate some help please! I miss Mechwarrior!

Again, see the latest Tools release thread, it also contains a link for direct HTTP download. It contains the latest (0.11.719.236) version of the Auto Updater, which has no such issues (at least, none known or reported to this date).
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline Valis[CSF]

• Bondsman
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
I had the same problem as the other two users above and down loading the autoupdater worked for me. I also have win & and .NET 4.

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »
I had the same problem as the other two users above and down loading the autoupdater worked for me. I also have win & and .NET 4.

I hope you downloaded the latest Auto Updater, version 0.11.719.236.
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline TheRogueCannon

• Bondsman
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »
Hey my account still works!

Just to add to this thread, I was having the same crashing problem. Just upgraded my machine to a shiny new Core i7-2600k and Z68X MB (no I did NOT make this post just to brag...much).
I wanted to start MWLL to see how much it had improved performance, and bang, instantly got the error.

Oh no I thought.

Checked out the situation, everything LOOKED okay as far as I could see. But I went and downloaded the latest auto-update, same problem. Had a look through this thread and decided to check the logfile for its errors...

And of all the things, the entire Crysis Wars folder under My Games had been made hidden (I had the weirdest virus a while ago that almost randomly went through and made files hidden, took me a long time to clean it off and its legacy has been most annoying).

I 'un-hid' the folder, bang, its working fine now.

So you might want to always double check that the file system of folders under My Games are intact and visible, as that clearly crashes the updater (or the devs may want to flag a warning or something in the next build that alerts the user to this fact??)

Just throwing this out there in case anyone else runs into it. Now I'm off to see how far I can push my OCed 5870 against Clanner Scum. "Initiate enhanced imaging!!"

Offline More_Dakka

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 02:06:10 AM »
Please put up a direct link for 0.5.3. Seeing as I still live on campus, I can't use the autoupdater.

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.3.zip

Don't get confused by the filename, its not a full release.
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline More_Dakka

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »
http://www.mwlldownload.com/download/MWLL-OpenBeta-Full-0.5.3.zip

Don't get confused by the filename, its not a full release.
Thanks. Guess I just couldn't access it because you changed it from "OpenBeta-Patch" to "OpenBeta-Full". Anyways, cheers until next patch.

Offline demonr6

• Bondsman
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »
Nothing works. Waste of time.

Offline Helmer

• Bondsman
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2011, 12:08:12 AM »
the last Autoupdater would always give me an error when it downloaded. Now I'm trying to update to .5.4 and it won't download. Keeps resetting. Is there anyway to directly download the update?

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Helmer

• Bondsman
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 09:09:08 PM »
Thanks KL, much appreciated!

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 10:19:23 PM »
Your welcome. If there is any issue with the MOD, please do not hesitate to address it.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush