Author Topic: Large Lasers Poll  (Read 12083 times)

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
Re: Large Lasers Poll
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 06:05:01 PM »
There, changed it, so you folks that think that the 2nd method of balancing (Heat rather than time on target) have a choice now, you can revote or whatever.
No I can't x<

Dammit your right, I set the poll to allow people to change it, but when you go into "modify poll" you loose that option, and it seems to default the options :(

Short of a Dev fixing that I'll bear in mind that "Heat Balancing" has 4 votes not shown (You plus Invictus, NSalla and Makaan), that's the best I can do witghout cancelling all votes already in and having everyone vote again.

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 06:06:03 PM »
We will not be "front-loading" damage from any laser weapon in the game.  This would defeat any DPS balancing.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline The Thing }12thVR{

• Apprentice Dev
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »
I think the LBLs are fine.  I would like to have some better feedback to tell us if we've hit our target.  The impact sound doesn't play on lasers I believe, and the smoking hit effects can't be seen very well (or not at all) when your target is near the LBL's maximum range.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 08:51:36 PM »
I think they are fine for now unless/ until pulse lasers are modified in such a way that they need differentiating from. Do we really need fewer ways to kill BAs?
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline lessergod

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 09:12:21 PM »
Look, I am all for making changes when something is unbalanced, but what you are requesting only benefits a small group of people. The object of this is not to please those of us who troll here and are avid B-tech fans, but to also bring in new people to the genre. If you make weapons too hard to be effective, it will be viewed as poorly planned. You have to keep the combat system simple enough for those who are NOT B-tech geeks.
What does being a Clanner mean? No contractions: Neither verbal, nor physical!

Loremaster Emeritus
=Clan Diamond Shark=

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
The point is:

Name everything a Machine Gun is bad at killing given its current range, travel speed, recharge rate, damage,  fire duration (i.e. none), heat, size, weight, ammo capacity, and lack of explosiveness of the weapon when destroyed.

Now, name everything a Gauss Rifle is bad at killing given its current range, travel speed, recharge rate, damage, fire duration (i.e. none), heat, size, weight, ammo capacity, and lack of explosiveness of the weapon when destroyed.

Now, name everything a CERLBL is bad at killing given its current range, travel speed, recharge rate, damage, fire duration (i.e. raking effect), heat, size, weight, ammo capacity (i.e. infinite).

I can't really think of anything that the CERLBL is bad at killing. I also can't justify it being bad at killing anything except in that using it exclusively should heat you up like crazy. I can't see giving it ridiculous heat properties over what it already has, it would punish non-boats more than it would boats (i.e. mechs without extra heat sinks.) But, what I can see happening is having heat itself be a much more dangerous mechanic.

Offline snooggums

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-1
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »
The CERLBL is one of the hottest weapons in Battletech, it should cause massive amounts of heat to use, more than a standard PPC and do about the same amount of damage. Keeping that heat up wouldn't hurt non-boats as much since they could easily select cooler weapons to compliment, resulting in a cooler mech overall.

Offline Guyver

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »
don't know... i loved the awesome 6LBL (forgive me if im wrong...) in the early state of beta: clearly a sniper, cutting off arms and legs at ease but very vulnerable to LRM or other sniping methods... whats the best option to vote, on this poll, for me on these bases to get "likely" the old LBL value?
ya, they were overpowered in the early state, but now i feel too underpowered for the high price it cost to buy it, exit the hangar, getting hammered with random arrows and LRM/autocannons bouncing your aim off and losing 100k+ in a single row. :D

just 2cents for a former laser user, now i use autocannon and co. :(

Offline dsi1

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »
The ERLBL/CERLBLs are insanely powerful, especially since it is very possible to go through a game using only LBLs and their upgraded brothers and still end up in a final tier mech.

I just went through a match like this and I think my choices went from Osiris A at the start, then to a Puma C, then Shadowcat (forget which one has the lasers and a gauss), then to a Novacat, and finally at the end, a Madcat MKII. I was doing heavy damage to mechs a class above me as the Osiris/Puma/Shadowcat and was even able to do damage to some VTOLs (which were the only thing that could really counter me unless I moved in like a fool and let the enemy get their weapons on me).

The Karma Gods decided to smite me with 1 FPS with 5 minutes left in the round though. (It was on the approach heading outwards of the lower right Clan base on Frostbite, first time that has ever happened to me outside of a hangar, but it lasted indefinitely unlike occurrences inside hangars)

I think upping the amount of time it takes to do damage would fix them myself, I wouldn't have been able to damage the VTOLs as much if the the time to do damage was increased.

@Guyver, funny because I've converted the other way around, the Autocannons felt more powerful until I started getting sliced and diced by Lasers.

@TheThing, you should get the enemy's nametag to pop up if you scored a hit.

Offline -AAA-

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +58/-1
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 12:51:04 AM »
They're fine as-is.  They're not a noob weapon like LRMs were in 0.2 since you actually have to aim at your target and keep the reticle on the target for the duration of the shot.  This is not terribly difficult, but it is so easy to prevent a laser boat from returning fire effectively.  PPCs, missiles, large-caliber ACs, flamers...pretty much anything that will cause cockpit shake or added heat is the perfect counter to a laser boat.  Anything that packs more than 1 LBL already has heat issues, I don't think making them even hotter is the answer.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 01:02:14 AM »
I agree, lasers are harder to use than ERPPCs which after a bit of lead can fire and forget where as lasers you have to hold on the same area of the target or the damage is so spread it barely does anything. I still think the Heatsink system is the problem atm not the amount of heat they themselves create.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline 7.[WD]Ragor

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +111/-3
  • Maj.7thWolf'sDragoons a.D.
    • 7th. Regiment 'eta' Wolf Dragoons
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 02:41:17 AM »
(...)
I would like to have some better feedback to tell us if we've hit our target.  The impact sound doesn't play on lasers I believe, and the smoking hit effects can't be seen very well (or not at all) when your target is near the LBL's maximum range.

-> I just keep an eye on my cbills. There you can see exactly how much damage you have delivered.

(BTW: I switched off the impact sounds on my sys since I don't like them/the idea behind-> g_useHitSoundFeedback [0,1])

sgnl05

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 08:57:45 AM »
I like the idea of them doing the same damage but with a slightly longer beam. LBL are clearly a sniper weapon which is fine, but it is a little annoying when you sneak up on a 5xLBL novacat and go toe to toe with him, only to find that he's every bit as effective at 80 metres as 800. Increasing the beam duration for LBL while keeping the same DPS would probably make large laser boats a bit harder to use toe to toe, which probably wouldn't hurt.

Offline Freakazoid

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-2
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 11:10:29 AM »
This is a terrible poll. It's the CERLBLs that are the problem, which the novacat a makes almost trivial as a sniping machine.

Offline dCK-Ad_Hominem

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
Honestly I do not see any problems with CERLBLs at all. The single laser does not really inflict that much damage and erog is no über-weapon of any kind. After all you have to mount huge numbers of them to be effective. Imagine a chassis with 5 lbx20, you just know this thing kills easily.

2 things though: 1. I think ERPPCs and ERLBLs (clan or not) should have different firing ranges with the ppcs reaching further. This way the Nova Cat prime cannot fire its entire arsenal at one point when moving in towards the enemy. 2. Heat is definitely an issue. Going after every experience I made in MW I have to say that especially the Nova Cat is overpowered considering its weaponary. The damage of CERPPCs is well as it is, but it should heat up the mech utilising it more. If not the War Hawk will be the new God of death upon release.

Up until now this isn't really terribly in any way, it just needs some more work on it.