Author Topic: Sensors  (Read 6538 times)

Offline FDISK

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Re: Sensors
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 02:08:39 AM »
lol ok ECM and it does not affect the radar image on the enemy mech HUD at all, what ecm does is mask your mech from the opposing players radar screen up to a fix distance, plus it helps keep missiles from locking on.
ECM along with anti missile defence will go along way in a pitch battle, plus like the way i setup a squad in the old mech days was to have a raven or any light mech capable of carrying a ECM suite sitting at long range with 1 or 2 longbows or catapults or madcats with longrange weapons sitting at the end of a valley or on top of a hill masking them while my mechs pound the heck out of the opposing team, while my heavies and med mechs power up from behind a hill or ravine and hit their flanks. But on a later update to the old mech game was a sensor add on that could detect power down mechs but the ECM suite still defeated it at a fix range and what i mean at fix range in all that is at a minium distant the ECM didnt work but the farther you was the better.

Offline Criminal

• Founder Wandering Samurai
  • Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-3
    • MechWarrior: Living Legends
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 01:27:20 PM »
ECM is actually a tough implementation in all honesty. There really isn't anything to base it off of in the core .cpp so it may take a bit but we will have to do it up from scratch at this point.

For now what i can tell you is that there will be at least 3 different kinds of sensors. Infantry sensors, Vehicle and both combined.

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
  • The Counterattack Begins.
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »
Goody!

Offline AWS

• Bondsman
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 06:39:38 PM »
whatever you do don't give up on the ECM!!! PLEASE!!  :'(

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Don't lose your head over MWLL
    • Mech Warrior Living Legends
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 07:40:30 PM »
We'll try not to give up it. It's a very important piece of sensory equipment. Since we are attempting to implement the Sneak Suit which will also hide infantry from sensors, we should be able to do the same for ECM. What would be an added bonus for the ECM would be to have a blanket effect. Instead of just hiding yourself only, it would hide yourself and other Mechs around a particular radius around you. This of course may be asking a little much from our programmers, but I find this to be the best and coolest way to implement ECM and make it such a valuable upgrade to Mechs :).

Offline Criminal

• Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »
Good point Kami way to think outside the box...If cloak hides you from the regular scans then there is a fucntion being called or omited to modify the sensor or vice versa all we have to do is dig it out really.

That's why you get paid the big bucks.

Offline AWS

• Bondsman
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »
 ;) (tears of joy)
 '
 ,'

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »
I also want to note the presence of another type of useful sensory equipment:

C3 Computer Systems [Command/Control/Communications] allow 'Mechs of a lance or even a company to coordinate much more easily. C3 systems allow units to share targeting data with other units in a C3 network. ComStar has developed an advanced version of C3 computers, known as C3i Computers, that are limited to smaller networks, but make for a more resilient network, as it can pass data from unit to unit without going through a centralized master computer like the standard system does.

It was useless in Mech3, but we may be able to make use of it, if possible. I believe this type of equipment was available in BF2142, if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:35:45 PM by Defender »
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 08:35:45 PM »
I can see it now: a raven with the c3 spotting for artillery.

Offline AoP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +53/-2
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 08:42:02 PM »
It was useless in Mech3, but we may be able to make use of it, if possible. I believe this type of equipment was available in BF2142, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, NetBat[tm]. Nice feature, very handy and actually adding another big bonus to squadding up.

Offline Criminal

• Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 12:32:14 AM »
I actually really enjoyed having that...but again the implementation of something like that is deeper than i want to drill at this point.

Offline FDISK

• Bondsman
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 05:38:44 AM »
We'll try not to give up it. It's a very important piece of sensory equipment. Since we are attempting to implement the Sneak Suit which will also hide infantry from sensors, we should be able to do the same for ECM. What would be an added bonus for the ECM would be to have a blanket effect. Instead of just hiding yourself only, it would hide yourself and other Mechs around a particular radius around you. This of course may be asking a little much from our programmers, but I find this to be the best and coolest way to implement ECM and make it such a valuable upgrade to Mechs :).

mmmm i thought it did that in the old mech games like a radius of 100 meters.  here a link to mech 3 equipment and i know alot eas pass on to mech4
http://www.mechwarrior3.org/trm/Equipment.htm

and here was what we considered required reading lol back in the early merc days

Offline Rockstone

• Lance Sergeant
  • General of The Davion Heavy brigade
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 12:55:33 AM »
ECM suite:

Mechwarrior 4 just makes it so that you cant see the target (or lance). Your radar is still 1000 meters with the exception of the mechs that are under the range of the ECM
I do not have any emotions, only an emotion processor.

"You fool- you are recalibrating the Holovid just to please me"

"When you are faced with a fight like that, it is best to dodge AWAY from the shot, not into it."

Play Tribes 2 now for FREE! http://www.tribesnext.com/.

Offline Ritifo

• Bondsman
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 08:52:47 AM »
Most relevant passages marked in bold, but I suggest a good read of the whole thing too!  ;)

The targeting and tracking (T&T) system requires no activation from the MechWarrior and is always channeling information to him or her. All targeting and tracking systems provide some sort of heads-up display (HUD), usually built into the cockpit's primary viewing screen. Some MechWarriors prefer to have the HUD tracking image relayed to the inside of their neurohelmets. A decent technician can modify the 'Mech this way per the standards of the unit or of the individual MechWarrior in question: doing so requires at least a 3050-technology neurohelmet and 6 hours of a technician's time.

Thermal imaging, light intensification, motion tracking, ultra-violet (UV) and laser tracking are four of the most commonly used detection/targeting systems in BattleMechs. Others include microwave tracking, and some T&Ts even use seismic distortion tracking. All BattleMechs also have active MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detection) systems that are in constant operation unless suppressed by a MechWarrior. Many current BattleMechs also use an active spectral analysis scan at point-blank ranges to search for known explosives, used primarily to avoid mines or anti-'Mech Infantry assaults.

All of this sensory data is accumulated by the DI computer network. The battle computer then takes all the data and turns it into useful information for the MechWarrior. No matter what method is used, the cockpit displays information in the most natural and ergonomic fashion, meaning that the MechWarrior need not Interpret whatever data he receives (which could distract him at a critical moment). Sensory data can also be triangulated with sensor data from other friendly 'Mechs to pinpoint enemy positions or provide more detailed information. This requires all involved BattleMechs to Iink their sensors via a separate communications channel. The link is often difficult to maintain during battle, but is highly effective when used.

The MechWarrior can enable/display and/or disable any sensors at any time through manual controls in the cockpit or voice activation. The voice recognition circuits in a BattleMech are tied in to the neurohelmet's microphone and into the cockpit microphone system; they are sophisticated enough to understand commands even if the MechWarrior is sick, wounded or screaming in the heat of battle.

The sensors' readings can either overlap a target or reveal an entire area. For example, thermal imaging sensors typically display a green image of the battlefield, with hot areas shown as progressively whiter. At the Mech Warrior's discretion, he or she can opt to only thermally display other 'Mechs and leave the battlefield in its true colors. Other sensors can he added or subtracted from the displays as required. By default the battle computer will synthesize the information from all sensors on the exterior of the 'Mech and read them down to provide simplified readouts on the HUD.

Friendly and enemy 'Mechs are marked with a graphic token to differentiate them, such as a golden or black halo, Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) broadcast beacons are automatically used by the BattleMech's targeting and tracking system to avoid accidental missile fire at a friendly 'Mech and to help identify friends In difficult situations, such as night fighting or smoky battlefields. As indicated in the discussion of cockpit layout, this system can be overridden manually by a MechWarrior should the need arise.

Sensor arrays are positioned in numerous hard points on the surface of the BattleMech, usually with triple redundancy. Using the extensive DI computer network, these sensors constantly feed data to the cockpit for interpretation and display by the battle computer.

Additional displays arc usually weapon-specific, such as the indirect firing matrix of long-range missiles, the minimum range warning display of a particle projection cannon or the Command/Control/Communications (C3) computer used by House Kurita. MechWarriors often have their own favorite display modifications, usually geared when a cluster of weapons is fired at once, with the display of the target changing color when all the weapons are at optimal range. Many of these can be programmed prior to battle by the MechWarrior using the battle computer keypad controls or by a qualified technician. MechWarriors favoring specific sensor configurations can have the data written to a ROM chip for use in any other BattleMech that they might pilot in order to save time and effort.
Summing up:
All have thermal imaging, light intensification, motion tracking, ultra-violet (UV), laser tracking, and magnetics. Some have microwave, seismic, and/or spectral analysis scans.

Magnetics are sensors within the 'Mech that actually detect the intense magnetic fields and such that result from all BattleMech reactors. Most of the time, you're safe if you're shut down, but Magnetic Anomaly Detection is most sensitive to active reactors.

Seismic involves listening for vibrations caused by the heavy footsteps of 'Mechs. I'm pretty sure that the system negates the vibrations from the 'Mech that it's mounted on itself. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an obscure source book that notes that a 'Mech has to be standing still for this to work. A notable quirk that I'm sure of is that seismic does not give exact position, only distance, so multiple 'Mechs will be needed for triangulation, much like how earthquake epicenters are determined from a minimum of at least 3 seismographs at different locations.

Spectral analysis, as the passage says, is apparently very close range. I don't know any specifics on this, but I do know that spectral analysis, in real life, involves specific colors from certain substances. This wikipedia article will explain it better than I can. Click me! It's used in real life, as well, astronomers use it to determine the material/gas makeup of a stellar mass and things like that.

Here's the source site. It's in a different language, but the section that I took these passages from are in English. (Battletech > Battle Technology > BattleMech Structure: The BattleMech Operations) I am confident that it is reputable, and I do clearly remember reading about the seismic, magnetic, and such in some sourcebook...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:31:14 PM by Ritifo »

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 08:25:02 PM »
Well, that pretty much clears it up. Thanks.

As for spectrum analysis, I don't know how a mech would do that.