Author Topic: Sensors  (Read 6539 times)

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
  • The Counterattack Begins.
Sensors
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:16:53 PM »
I was thinking last night about the sensors on the mechs, and I'm not really sure how they work. Does the Technical Readout explain this? It says phased array radar on the wikipedia Battletech Technology page.

If we could do it without going against the lore, I was thinking, there could be three different systems. One would be like radar, sending out particles like neutrinos or something, that only bounce off myomer. It would, therefore, only detect mechs and certain vehicles. The next system would be a life-sign detection system, which would detect all life, but doesn't tell you whether they're in vehicles or what, and there's the possibility of it picking up on wildlife in forests. The third would be a satellite uplink, which gives you a clear bird's eye view of everything, but its poor resolution makes it hard to distinguish enemies in camouflage, and it is only available for a set interval, before it dips under the planet again.

What do you think?

It would be cool to make reconnaissance a necessary element in the game. I never felt it was important enough in BF2.

Offline AWS

• Bondsman
Re: Sensors
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »
Wahey! I was just about to make a new topic and zeus beat me to it! :D
I think it goes without saying though, because I mean if a powered down mech can't be seen by radar then I can't for the life of me see why an infantry man should be seen.
Though personally I'd prefer it if it stayed so that mechs can 'NEVER' see infantry on radar as they'd be able to butcher them in seconds and there has to be some incentive to stay on foot, otherwise everyone will be in mechs and the point of an immersive battlefield will be lost.
I was going to post a topic on sensors, but my slant is on them being destructible.
Crysis has some destructible components on the vehicles already and seeing as a lot of MW is about radar and keeping an eye on your heat levels among other things, what do you guys think about making these things as destructibles?
I'm not sure how possible this is cause I still haven't got around to booting up the Sandbox editor but it's an idea I'd thought I'd throw out to you to see what you guys think?
I'm well aware that to make all of them destructible would obviously be a bad idea, but I think the radar would work as it would encourage people to take care of the brave soul piloting that lone Raven amidst a sea of enemy Atlas'! :)
'Oh'! And how about a repair mech/vehicle that can repair said components while on the battlefield?
It'd be both valuable and a prime target! ;D

(Edit)

You guys are going to make deployable sensor's and sensor disruptor's right?
And don't forget the Raven has that counter-measure that halves enemy mechs radar range!
That's a necessity in my book. :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:31:37 PM by AWS »

Offline FDISK

• Bondsman
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:59:26 AM »
ok i think having sensors is a great ideal but y'all got to remember what century this mod is base on. Like in the old mech games your radar was tide into sensors that detects power up mechs plus on the HUD you had the option to have the mech showing or swtich and show the damage on said enemy mech.  And concerning infantry you might want to remember again what century this is based in and that the infantry will be equip with mobile electronics packages that sensors would be able to pick up at short range and plus the sensors would pick up the lock from man portable rocket launchers. Plus will we have the ability to scatter sensors around the base perimeter or the battle field? maybe sensor towers that can be built by a class of engineers?

Offline FDISK

• Bondsman
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 05:07:18 PM »
plus wasnt there a package that you could equip the mech with to confuse radar and sensor lock grrr i know there is i cant remember lol its been a long time like a EMF electro magnetic field?

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »
plus wasnt there a package that you could equip the mech with to confuse radar and sensor lock grrr i know there is i cant remember lol its been a long time like a EMF electro magnetic field?

ECM = Electronic Countermeasure Suite
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline AWS

• Bondsman
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:08:27 PM »

As Defender rightly stated, it's known as an ECM.
As this is under "Ideas and Suggestions" though I'm interested to know what the MOD team think, as I feel these are nessecities in a MW game.
An Atlas, Raven team is unparrelled!  ;)

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »

As Defender rightly stated, it's known as an ECM.
As this is under "Ideas and Suggestions" though I'm interested to know what the MOD team think, as I feel these are nessecities in a MW game.
An Atlas, Raven team is unparrelled!  ;)

Yeah, but what would they effects would they have on the target mech, from his perspective? Make him unable to fire his rockets? Make his weapons fire a bit away from where you clicked? Take away his crosshairs?

Offline AWS

• Bondsman
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 03:28:13 AM »
 :o
You have played MW right?
An ECM would halve his radar range making it possible to sneak up within range to fire off a salvo before the enemy notices.
And when your talking about mutliple mechs it makes an ECM a necessity in a team. ;D

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 11:08:13 PM »
Well, yes, but won't he notice when his radar range is halved, ruining the ambush?

Offline AoP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +53/-2
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 11:22:46 PM »
Well, yes, but won't he notice when his radar range is halved, ruining the ambush?

He won't necessarily know from where exactly the enemy will come or how many there will be.

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 11:34:15 PM »
I suppose. But he'll be on the alert.

Are you guys going to have any kind of deployable radar decoy? That'd be more useful than an ECM suite, if you ask me.

Offline AWS

• Bondsman
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 12:30:52 AM »
Uh, he doesn't have to know?
He'd only notice if he's paying close attention to his radar, and if he is?, then fair play he'll have an idea that something's about to happen, but then again he still won't know where from so he'll have to be on his toes.
TBH though I think most players will have their hands full and won't be paying that close attention to their radar and even if you take the idea from the other end of the scale, as long as the mech with the ECM is in front of the others you could pull off some classy sneak attacks! 8)

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 09:54:22 PM »
Hmm, yes. But still, that makes it really only half-useful, I think. Do you think we could, to make the ECM a little more useful, add erroneous blips to the ecm-affected mech's radar screen outside of the halved radar range?

Offline AWS

• Bondsman
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 12:58:51 AM »
For one, that may have an undesired effect, alerting the enemy to your presence.
Leave the ECM unchanged I say! ;)

Offline thezeus18

• MechWarrior
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 01:23:19 AM »
Ok, fine.

What do you think of my three sensor system suggestion?